Status: Completed

I've Abandoned Control

Chapter 7

Jared’s POV

It was Saturday night and I was sitting at home in bed sick. Jana left for New York yesterday for the weekend. Just my luck I caught a cold while she was gone and couldn’t be there with me to keep me company. It seemed here lately I have been sick a lot being on the road so this feeling shouldn’t be new to me. It just helped me endure it better if she was there by my side to nurse me back to health.

I asked Shannon if he wanted to hang out tonight but he said he had plans so I didn’t bother him anymore. So out of boredom I decided to take out my laptop and browse the web. Just as the homepage popped up I immediately saw pictures from the event Jana was working tonight. Curiosity got the best of me so I decided to browse through the pictures to see how it was going. When I came across the picture of Brent leaning down whispering into Jana’s ear, I clenched my glass filled with alka-seltzer until my knuckles turned white. I scrolled to the next picture, I became furious when I saw Brent placing a kiss in the corner of Jana’s lips. I slammed my laptop closed and immediately grabbed my cell phone. I started to dial her number but I stopped myself. Maybe I was overreacting, I knew Brent better than anybody and I knew he was a big flirt but he wasn’t going to act like that towards my girlfriend. It took everything I had in me not to call her and tell her to get the hell home right now. I knew what she would say though so I pushed my frustration aside. I thought to myself that I trusted her and I knew she would never cheat on me. She proved it time and time again while I was out on the road. She was so beautiful she could have any man she wanted but yet she kept to herself for me and I kept repeating that to myself over and over.

I downed my second alka-seltzer and chugged a bottle of water to try and hide the taste. As I was heading to my bedroom I heard a gentle knock at the door. I was shocked when I opened it to see a familiar pair of brown eyes looking up at me.

“Hi umm.. Jana called and asked me to come check on you, she said you weren’t feeling well,” Paige said as she tucked her hair behind her ear. I was wondering why Jana didn’t just call me to check up on me herself but instead called her friend, then I remembered she was a nurse. Jana knew I would blow the severity of my cold off and Paige would be able to tell if I needed further help other than cold medicine.

“I’ve taken some medicine. Why don’t you come in? It’s boring in this house without her so you can keep me company.” She nodded and headed inside. “Want something to eat or drink?” I said.

“Sure you got a soda.” she said looking around. We talked for quite some time. I had forgotten all about the pictures I had seen earlier. I never took medicine for anything so what I took earlier was starting to affect me. When Paige spoke, her words were blending in to one another. I tried my best to stay focused on what she was saying. It was the first time I’d taken time to actually get to know her. She was a lovely person and I could see why my brother was so taken with her and how she and Jana were so close. They were almost like the same person but there were some differences.

As I sat on the couch in my living room listening to her tell me stories about their lives back in Tennessee, I could feel my medicine taking control. “Jared are you ok? You look a bit flushed,” Paige said as she got closer to look into my eyes. I looked up at her face slowly and all I could see looking down at me was Jana’s eyes. Before I knew it I lifted my hand to brush it against her cheek.

“Jared what are you..” I stopped what she was about to say as I covered my lips with hers. Just as I felt her hands pushing me away I heard someone clear their throat, “What the hell is going on here!? You know what never mind dude I knew she was to good to be true anyways.” Shannon yelled as he slammed the door behind him.

He started the engine and I heard him speed off down the road. I looked over at Paige and she had tears streaming down her face. She immediately ran out of my house slamming the door behind her. What just happened? What have I done? I ruined Shannon and Paige’s potential relationship and more than likely lost my brother’s trust. He was the only family I had left besides my mother. Then it hit me that I just royally fucked up my relationship with the woman I love. How was I going to explain this to Jana?

I headed back to the bedroom and grabbed my cell phone off of the nightstand. I fought with myself if I wanted to tell her now or wait until she got home. I just knew I would have to tell her and I didn’t want her to hear it from anyone but me.

As I sat on the edge of the bed I nervously dialed her number. I listened as it rang. When I heard the voice on the other end of the telephone my heart felt like it sunk into my stomach. “Oh how I miss you so much!” she said, not even saying Hello. “Guess what I’ll be home tomorrow evening. I’m getting to come home early!” she said with so much excitement in her voice. I remained silent. The thought of knowing that I was going to hurt her more than I ever had tore me apart. The question is to tell her now or when she arrived tomorrow evening.