Sequel: My One and Only
Status: completed

Talk Is Cheap

lying is your favorite passion

Nicole pulled at her hair as she scrutinized herself in the mirror. She’d actually tried to straighten it well, and spent a good hour attempting to tame the light brown mess, but it still looked slightly below average. She bit her lip, examining her make-up and becoming quite upset when noticing the mascara on her left eye was clumped in the corner. Maybe she was being too hard on herself, but she wanted to look perfect; at least for half an hour. At any moment, Niall would be calling her on Skype and she’d get to see his face for the first time in weeks. She wanted his pants to get tight the second he saw her, but even with her best attempt, that seemed extremely unlikely.

Her laptop began to ring from across the room and she quickly completed her inspection, pulling at her top to reveal more cleavage than necessary before skipping across the room and plopping on her bed. After pressing accept, a wide smile spread across her lips as she waited for the webcams to sync. His handsome face and head of bright, blonde hair appeared within seconds, making the butterflies in Nicole’s stomach flutter like crazy.

“’ello, babe.”

“Hi Niall, how are you?”

He was sitting in a hotel room in Tennessee, and she could see the other lads behind him on their phones and laptops. Nicole listened to the Irish lad talk about his day and all the exciting things he’d done in America. He seemed like he was having a fantastic time, even though he mentioned several times how much he missed her. She missed him a lot too, and wished more than anything he’d be returning home in a few weeks instead of going off to another country.

Her phone buzzed against her thigh, and she nonchalantly pulled it out of her pocket and opened the text message without paying any attention to the sender.

“You look bloody fit.”

It was from Harry, and Nicole’s heart sank to her stomach. She tried her best not to let her feelings show as she quickly deleted the message and forced her attention back on Niall.

“I’ve got some cracking good news.”

“Really,” she replied with a raise of her eyebrows.

“Yes. Easter break is soon for you, right?”

“Uh-huh, in another couple weeks.”

“Right in time for your birthday.”

“Correct.”

He smiled, clearly excited about his news. “Come on tour with me and the lads. We’ll be in Australia and New Zealand your entire break! Consider this me birthday present to you.”

“Oh, gosh. I dunno-”

Her phone buzzed again, and her eyes instinctively darted to the screen.

“Stop ignoring me, I know you’re getting my texts. I can see you reading them. I just want to talk.”

She looked back towards her laptop, finding it hard to pay attention to Niall when a pair of green eyes behind him was staring directly at her. Going on vacation with Niall sounded amazing, she just wished she wouldn’t have to deal with Harry, but it was inevitable. Out of all the boy bands in Europe, the boy she fancied and her ex had to be in the same one. She had shitty luck.

“C’mon, you know you want to. You’ve told me more than a few times how much you need a vacation.”

He was right, she had said that, and she’d meant it. She hadn’t had a vacation in years; since her mother had been alive. She needed to get away, but going across the world to spend two weeks with her kind-of boyfriend and her ex seemed stressful, and that was the last thing she needed.

“I’m not sure if I have the money.”

“I’ll pay for you, babe. This is me present to you. You don’t need to worry about a thing. Gimme the go-ahead and I’ll get Paul to book you a flight.”

She bit her lip, contemplating over whether it was a good idea or not to accept his offer. She truly did want to go, and she’d been trying to take Sage’s advice by not letting Harry hold her back, but it was too hard. He was always there, in the back of her mind, flipping his curls or showing his dimples. It was too much. Especially, lately, when he bombed her phone with texts every day about how much he missed her and how he wanted to ‘talk things over’. It took everything inside her to delete each message and not reply ‘I love you’. Seriously, there was something wrong with her.

“Can I think about it?”

Niall’s smile fell and he looked at her with sad eyes. “Well, yeah, but uh I need to know soon, to get the tickets and hotel rooms situated.”

“Alright, I’ll let you know as soon as possible. I’ve got to go, though. Sage is screaming at me from the other room. Bye.”

Before Niall had the chance to reply, Nicole had already ended the call and closed her laptop. She couldn’t bear looking at his sad expression any longer, especially because she knew she was the cause. She wanted to accept his offer and spend a couple weeks on tour with him, but she didn’t know if she could handle it emotionally. Without Harry, everything would have been perfect. She’d been happy with Niall—possibly beyond happy, maybe even in love. But with Harry, she was confused and emotionally drained. The way he made her feel was unreal. She wasn’t sure how it was possible to hate someone so much, but not be able to get them off your mind.

Sage was sitting in the floor of the living room sorting out a pile of rubbish. Nicole assumed one pile was stuff she wanted the keep and the other would be returning to whatever dumpster she’d gotten it from.

“Find anything good?” Nicole asked, crossing the room to the kitchen. She grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge before leaning against the counter and scrutinizing her mate’s work.

“Just the usual. Not much I can use.” Sage replied with a frown, flicking a piece of her silvery-purple hair off her shoulder before peering up at Nicole. “I’ve got a favor to ask.”

Nicole rolled her green eyes, but nodded her head to encourage Sage to ask whatever was on her mind.

“I need a few supplies from the shops. Do you mind going to get them?”

“No, I’ll do it.”

Sage clapped her hands together before pointing towards the coffee table with a bob of her head. “I’ve got a list there, and the money.”

Nicole walked to the table, removing a receipt with several words sprawled across the back and a 50 dollar euro. She eyed the money suspiciously before arching an eyebrow in her mate’s direction.

“Mummy and daddy must still be bloody ecstatic over your recent life decision if they’re giving you the big bills.”

Sage smiled toothily, not denying a thing. Just last week she had decided to return back to school next fall to study art. With an art degree she had a better opportunity of getting a job somewhere she enjoyed while still finding time for her sculptures. Her parents were so happy, they started paying her rent again and giving her money for whatever else she needed.

“Yes, they are. They even invited me to my first Sunday meal in a year or so. I’ll probably go; my mum will have a chef prepare everything. You’re welcome to come, too.”

Nicole smiled, she liked that her mate was happy and no longer fighting with her parents. She had a broken family that was beyond repair, but Sage didn’t have to be that way. She had both her parents, and although they hadn’t all gotten along recently, they loved her very much and only wanted the best for their daughter.

“How can I pass up a free meal?”

“Awesome, if you’re there they can’t lecture me about quitting school in the first place. And my parents adore you, but you already knew that.”

“I seem to remember them telling me, a few times, how I’m such a positive influence on you.”

Sage rolled her eyes. “Right.”

“Well I better get going; call me if you need anything else.” Nicole slipped into a jumper and a pair of trainers before grabbing her keys and walking out the door.

*****


Nicole pushed a cart up and down the aisles of the super market looking for the different items on Sage’s list. Her mate had asked for strange things like a specific brand of glue and certain sharpness for a pair of scissors. Nicole didn’t think the small details mattered, but apparently they did to Sage.

As she moseyed down an aisle of hardware supplies, Nicole spotted someone she hadn’t seen in roughly two years. The woman who’d kept her sane after her mother’s death. The woman who loved her like a daughter. The woman who took her in when she had nowhere else to go. Anne Cox, Harry’s mum.

The small woman was examining different types of screwdrivers, a look of complete confusion spread across her face. Her arms her folded against her chest and her dark hair was up in a messy bun. Even though she was wearing a loose, grey shirt and yoga pants she still looked incredibly attractive for a middle-aged woman. Nicole had always thought Anne was as beautiful on the outside as she was on the inside.

For a moment, she didn’t know what to do. She stared at Harry’s mum, knowing she should say hello, but feelings incredibly embarrassed for not calling or texting her once in two years. She’d lived with Anne and her husband for an entire summer, getting lectured on keeping her room clean and spending late nights talking about some of the most personal details of her life. Anne was like a second mother to Nicole, and she appreciated her more than anyone else in her life.

She stood unmoving for a couple minutes longer until slowly walking backwards out of the aisle, deciding she was too chicken to say anything.

“Nicole?” Anne’s voice was soft and welcoming, just like she remembered.

Quickly Nicole switched directions to pretend she was just entering the aisle for the first time. Anne stepped closer, a genuine smile across her lips, and Nicole shoved her hands in her pockets nervously as she chewed on her bottom lip.

“Hi, Anne.” Nicole had been warned many times before not to call her Mrs. Cox. She wrapped her little arms around Nicole, pulling her into an eager hug like she was her long lost daughter or something.

“Hi love, I’ve been meaning to call you. How have you been?”

Nicole peered around the dark room; her head was throbbing and her heart was racing, she still couldn’t believe what happened. Harry soon appeared at her side, placing a wet rag to her lip in order to soak up the blood pouring from her mouth. She began to feel queasy and the room started to spin. Her eyelids became heavy and just as her head began to droop, bright lights turned on all around them.

“Harry what’s going on? It’s late.” His mum said from the stairwell. She was wrapped in a robe and had assumingly been woken up from their disturbance in the kitchen. Her dark eyes feel on Nicole, and for a moment it looked like she’d lost every bit of color in her face. “What is she doing here? What happened?”

“Mum,” Harry began, leaving the rag for Nicole’s grasp as he crossed the room to his mother, pulling her out of the kitchen. Even though he was whispering, Nicole could clearly hear their conversation in the other room. “Her dad got drunk and hit her-”

“Harry!” her voice was concerned. Nicole didn’t know Anne well, but she could tell she was one of those mums that worried over everything. “We have to tell the authorities.”

No,” he was angry, Nicole could tell by the tone of his voice. He rarely got mad, but when he did, it was a bit scary. “He’s all she has. If he goes to jail, she’ll have to go into foster care. That’s the last thing she needs. Can’t she stay here a few days? Until things blow over?”

The pair became silent, and Nicole pushed the washrag aside before resting her head against the table. The taste of blood was still quite evident in her mouth, and she ran her tongue over her top row of teeth, noticing for the first time all night that her front teeth were no longer smooth; there was a chip in her front, left tooth caused from her dad’s hard punch to the face.

“Take her upstairs to get cleaned up. She’ll have to stay in your room until I get the guest room made up. We’ll talk more about this in the morning.”

“Thank you.” Harry said breathlessly before returning to the kitchen to help Nicole upstairs. He laced his fingers with hers, pulling her to her feet before swooping her up bridal style and carrying her to his room.

He laid her exhausted body on the bed before rushing over to his dresser and pulling out boxers and a t-shirt for her to wear. He helped her out of her clothes, tossing them to a corner of his room so he’d remember to wash them tomorrow; every bit of them was drenched in blood. He ran a soft hand through her hair, and she forced a smile as she stared into his green eyes, unable to express the gratitude she had for him helping her.

“You’re the best.” She muttered quietly, leaning against him. Harry wrapped his arm around her torso, pulling her small frame closer to him.

“You’re acting like I’ve done something extraordinary.”

“Because you did.”

“I only did what was right. You shouldn’t be treated so badly when you did nothing wrong. You’re amazing Coley, I can’t stand to see you hurt.”

“I love you.” It was the first time she’d told him that even though she’d felt it the minute he wrapped his arms around her in the school corridor.

“I love you, too.” He replied, placing a light kiss to her swollen lips. She pressed her hands against his chest, feeling her way down his toned stomach as he began kissing her neck, helping her to forget all the pain her dad had caused. He ran his hands under her shirt, feelings her warm skin with the tips of his fingers, knowing he’d never again find someone as perfect as her.

A quiet knock sounded at the door and within a couple seconds Anne was walking into the room carrying a tray. The pair pulled apart harshly, and turned to face Harry’s mum, both their cheeks were bright red.

“Sorry for interrupting,” she said, a small smirk tugging at her lips. “I thought you might like some tea.”

“Thank you,” Harry and Nicole said at once, causing Anne’s smirk to grow wider. She placed the tray on Harry’s nearby desk her starting back out of the room.

“Let the girl get some sleep, Harry. She’s had a rough day.”

“Yes Mum, g’night.”

“Goodnight.” She replied before shutting the bedroom door behind her.


“I’m doing a lot better now.” Nicole replied, giving Anne a smile so she’d know she was telling the truth.

“That’s good to hear.”

“What’re you doing in London?”

“I’m struggling to find Robin a gift for his birthday. There’s a particular tool he wants, but I’m having the hardest time finding it.”

“I wish I could help, but sadly I know less about tools than I know about sports.”

Anne smiled widely, finding Nicole’s honesty amusing. “I really have meant to call you.”

Nicole shrugged her shoulders, knowing it was just as much her fault for their lack of communication. “The phone works two ways.”

“There’s something I’ve been wanting to tell you, so I might as well say it now.” She began and Nicole watched her closely, a million thoughts racing through her head as she thought about what Anne could possibly say. “Even though you and Harry broke up, I never wanted you to feel like you couldn’t still talk to me. I love you like my own daughter, and although I thought you and Harry were perfect together, I understand why you did it.”

“Why I did it,” Nicole repeated, unable to believe those were the words she’d used.

“Yes, he’s always busy touring or recording in the studio and that would be hard for any relationship. Even though he was completely heartbroken, he understood your decision, especially because you both have so many things going for you, it makes sense to take time for yourselves.”

Nicole was shocked. Harry hadn’t told his mum the truth about their break-up, he’d blamed the whole thing on her, for what idiotic reason she was unsure.

“Yeah, that’s right.”

“He told me he’s been seeing you around lately, and I think that’s brilliant. You both should be mates.”

“Right, mates.” Nicole was having trouble processing the words leaving Anne’s mouth. Harry had talked about her to his mum. He’d talked about her recently and assumingly suggested they were mates. What he was thinking, Nicole wasn’t sure, but it was quite off from the actual truth.

“When he gets back from tour, you’ll both have to come over for dinner.”

“Sounds lovely.”

Anne smiled warmly, placing a hand on Nicole’s shoulder. “I should probably get going, but it was so good to see you. Is it alright if I get your number from Harry?”

“Of course not, go right ahead.” Get my stolen number from her annoying son.

“Alright, I’ll be in contact soon. I’ve missed you, Nicole.” Anne pulled her into another hug, this time things felt more natural, like they were two mates saying goodbye.

Nicole watched the dark-haired woman walk away as she mentally pulled herself together, still not able to comprehend what had happened. Why would anyone lie about breaking up with someone? Was he ashamed by his actions? And was he really that upset by the break up? She had so many questions, so many different scenarios going off in her head of what Harry was actually thinking when he broke up with her. It all seemed so fucked up before, but now things were different. Now, it was really fucked up and she could only think of one way to figure everything out. To find out how she truly felt about Niall, what really happened between her and Harry a month ago, and what his intentions were when he broke up with her two years ago.

Quickly, she pulled her phone from her pocket before her thumbs danced across the screen as she typed out a message.

“I’m taking you up on your offer; all you have to do is tell me when to be at the airport. Can’t wait to see you. Xxx

She pressed ‘send’ feeling fully confident this was the right thing to do. She was in search of answers, and going to Australia seemed the best way to get them.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had a lovely birthday, thanks for all the comments. Yall got me to 100! best birthday present EVER. :)

In case you were wondering, the ship names I use are: Noley (Niall + Coley) andddd Carry (Coley + Harry). I chose these because Niall and Nicole just don't work.. and Narry is Niall and Harry's ship name soooo yeah :)

Please lemme know what you think!
Comment and Subcribe?