Sequel: My One and Only
Status: completed

Talk Is Cheap

steal my heart tonight

Nicole tapped her foot lightly against the tile as she waited impatiently to order her coffee. The crowd was overwhelming this particular morning; the line was practically out the door, and there was only one barista, so it seemed she was never going to get her drink quick enough to not be late to class. She let out a frustrated sigh, mentally weighing the pros and cons of reaming in-line over getting her arse to class. The coffee was delicious here, and she needed her caffeine fix to get through the day, but she’d also been late to chemistry twice the week before, and had missed a great deal of notes. She needed to pass this science class if she wanted to further her studies in Sociology. Nicole chewed on her lip and ultimately decided the coffee could wait. As she turned on her heel, an Irish accent greeted her ears.

“’ello there.”

Nicole stuttered her step, and slowly turned back around to meet a pair of light blue eyes. Knowing it’d be rude to ignore him, she placed a smile on her lips and returned to her place in line.

“Hi.”

“This line is mental,” he said, looking over his shoulder to make full eye-contact with her. Nicole nodded in agreement, happy she wasn’t the only one finding the whole thing a bit ridiculous. The fact that so many people would wait in such a long line just to get their morning coffee was absurd, but who was she to judge? The sweet smell of roasting coffee beans tickling her nostrils had pulled her in, gluing her to her spot in line when she clearly had more important places to be.

“It’s worth it.” she promised him while also reassuring herself. He smiled brightly, revealing a mouth of pearly whites and braces. It was nice to put a face to the blonde head of hair she’d been staring at for the last five minutes. He was quite the handsome lad. He had a child-like quality about him, but still looked mature in all the right places. Nicole could easily say he was not bad to look at in the slightest.

“I know,” he replied, reaching to scratch the back of his head. “I try to come here whenever I can, but I’m not home much, so it’s a rare treat.”

“I would honestly die without coming to this place at least seven times a week. I’m addicted, really. My flatmate insists I need professional help.”

The blonde laughed loudly, and Nicole’s eyes fell to the floor as she tucked a strand of brown hair behind her ear. Most people didn’t think her jokes were funny. Usually, people looked at her with an arched eyebrow, wondering what in God’s name she was talking about. Nicole was shy, but once she got to talking to someone she tended to babble on and on about a lot of things that didn’t make much sense.

“I’m the same way about Nandos, well any type of food really.”

“Did your flatmate try to sign you up for ‘Intervention’ as well?”

“No, but me mates constantly make fun of me eating habits. I just tell them to fuck off. If I want to eat chicken, I’ll eat me chicken. It makes me happy, and I think people should stick with what makes them happy.”

“Imagining Robert Sheehan naked makes me my happiest.”

The boy erupted in a fit of giggles at this remark, making Nicole’s cheeks become visibly red from embarrassment. She was not that funny. This bloke obviously had an over-active sense of humor.

“I’m more of a Demi Lovato fan.”

“I can dig it.”

“Next,” the barista yelled, and the Irish lad harshly turned back around to give his order. Nicole looked him over with her olive eyes, twirling a piece of lazily straightened hair around her finger, and chewing on her bottom lip. He was wearing a plain, blue knitted jumper, a pair of khaki pants, and white trainers. He looked like an average teenage boy, but there was something about him that stood out; like Nicole had seen him somewhere before. She thought it over, going through each of her classes, trying to place him somewhere familiar, but she couldn’t figure out how she knew him.

After he was finished, and it was her turn to order, he grabbed her wrist abruptly, gaining her attention once more. “It was good chatting with ya.”

Nicole nodded her head and smiled slightly, suddenly at a loss for words. He gave her a crooked smile and tapped his fingertips against the skin of her lower arm before loosening his grip and turning to walk away. She watched him, contemplating whether to call after him and ask for his name.

“Excuse me, Miss? Ready to order?” the barista interrupted her thoughts, and Nicole nervously cleared her throat before taking a step forward and placing her order. Once she was finished, she was instructed to move down the counter and pay at the other end.

Nicole looked around eagerly, searching for the entertaining blonde she’d met in line. She couldn’t spot him anywhere, and quickly gave up her search. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other, awkwardly waiting for her name to be called as she scrutinized her scuffed, black Converse.

“Nicole,” the cashier called, and the brunette quickly pushed her way to the front of the line, reaching into her purse to grab her wallet.

“How much, again?” Nicole asked, fingering her credit card.

“The man in front of you paid for your order.”

The cashier’s comment caught her by surprise, but Nicole eventually forced a smile and reached to grab her coffee. “Have a nice day,” she called over her shoulder before exiting the building, feeling quite guilty that she didn’t get to tell the kind stranger ‘thank you’.

Nicole began walking at a fast pace towards the direction of her University. She pressed the plastic lid of her coffee to her plump, red lips and let the hot liquid warm her insides on the chilly, winter day. She reached in her back pocket to grab her cell phone. After searching through her contacts for her best mate’s number, she hit ‘send’ and pressed the phone against her ear right ear.

“Oi, jackass can’t you see I’m on the phone? Your food can wait,” Sage’s voiced screamed through the phone, forcing Nicole to pull the receiver away from her ear before her eardrums burst from her mate’s screeching. “Hello, hello, Nick?”

“Hi Sage.” Nicole said finally, deciding it was safe to bring the phone to her ear once more. “Are you busy? I can call back-”

“Fuck no it’s fine. I’m serving a bloody wanker that needs to learn patience is a virtue.”

“Alright, well guess what.”

“Now I’m gonna be angry if this is another one of your ‘I got an A on my paper’ phone calls. I know you’re smart Nick, no need to rub it in my face.”

“No, it’s not that. I think you’ll be rather pleased, I chatted up and Irish lad in line today while getting coffee and he paid for my order.”

“Did you get his number?”

Nicole sighed, growing annoyed with her mate. Sage knew better than anyone that Nicole didn’t usually talk to, let alone, flirt with strangers. Sage knew from their years of friendship that Nicole wasn’t nearly bold enough to ask for a bloke’s number, so it irritated her that her mate couldn’t just congratulate her on her free coffee—she had to throw in a bunch of bull shit in there.

“Well, no-”

“Honestly Nicole when are you going to pull that rigid stick out of your arse?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You’ve got to put yourself out there more. You never go on dates-”

“That’s not true.”

“In the last two years you’ve gone on three dates. One with a prick your parents set you up with, and two with up-tight, scholarly boys from school. So, let me correct myself. You never go on dates with boys you could actually fancy.”

“I just don’t meet the right people.”

“You’re just still hung up on Har-”

“Don’t you dare say his name.” Nicole snapped her voice low and raspy. She didn’t get mad about much, but even the bare mention of his name shot her off the deep end.

“Then stop letting that fucker control your life! Get the stick outta your arse and go on a fucking date with an attractive boy. You’re hot, Nick. You deserve more than flirtatious banter at a coffee shop.”

“I suppose you’re right.” Nicole replied as she arrived at the University. “I’ve got to go, Sage—I’m already late for class.”

“Okay, but are we still on for tonight?” Sage wanted to go to a club dressed as slags to try and pull as many guys as possible. That was not Nicole’s idea of fun in the slightest, but she’d agreed to go a few weeks back, and would feel terrible to change her mind at the last minute.

“I mean, I guess-”

“Where’s the stick, Nicole?”

“I’m pulling it out now, tossing it to the curb.”

“Good, I get off at 8. I’ll meet you at the flat, and be ready to go by 10.”

“Fine, bye.” Nicole muttered before ending the call and shoving her phone in her back pocket. She didn’t bother with running to class; she was already late and didn’t find it necessary to waste the required energy to get there a half-minute faster.

*****


Nicole tugged at the white dress, pulling it further over her bum as she stumbled closely behind Sage towards a tall building that was brightly lit and bumping music so loudly she could barely think straight, and they weren’t even inside yet. The dress belonged to Sage and felt two sizes too small. It was extremely tight, and the white material was so light it was basically transparent. The dress was made for someone shaped like a model, not Nicole’s average, short body. Sage had also talked to her into wearing black stilettos. She rarely wore heels anywhere besides fancy dinners where she’d mostly be sitting. It felt weird for her to walk around down-town London in shoes that made her 10 centimeters taller.

Nicole didn’t have to say a word as Sage talked to the bouncer, charming him into letting the girls inside without having to pay. She watched her mate flick her silver hair off her bare shoulder; in the right light her hair looked purple, and Nicole was sure Sage had dyed it that way on purpose. Sage was tall and extremely gorgeous; her looks resembled a high-fashion model. Tonight, she had decided to wear a simple black dress with a plunging back, revealing the small dimples just above her bum, and even though she was just under 180 centimeters, she still wore taller heels than Nicole.

“Go on in, ladies.” Sage flashed the man her brightest smile before reaching behind her to grab Nicole’s hand. Sage walked easily through the crowds of people bumping and grinding on the dance floor, she didn’t stop until arriving at the bar. There was hardly any room, but Sage squeezed her small body between two, older gentlemen before pulling Nicole up beside her. Instead of getting the bartender, she reached behind the man standing next to her, grabbed the back of his head, and forced him to lean over so she could whisper in his ear.

“Buys us each an Angel’s Tit.” the man didn’t protest, and quickly got the bartender’s attention.

“Oh my God, I want to get so drunk.” Sage exclaimed, leaning casually against the stranger next to her they waited for their drinks. “If I get drunk, I won’t feel bad about the one-night stand I so desperately need.”

“You don’t need to have sex with a stranger.” Nicole replied, shaking her head.

“You only say that because you don’t know what good sex is. The last boy you fucked was a pussy in secondary school who probably knew less about what to do with his cock than I would with a strap-on.”

Before Nicole could respond, the bartender arrived with their drinks. Sage thanked the man beside her with a kiss on the cheek and subtle groin grope before bringing the glass to her lips and taking a sip. Nicole did the same, instantly enjoying the cool, sweet drink—Sage always ordered the most excellent drinks. Nicole let her olive eyes travel around the room, watching people make drunken fools of their selves. Her eyes lingered down the length of the bar and she almost instantly recognized the blonde lad from that morning, sitting roughly three seats away.

“Sage,” Nicole whispered harshly, and the silver-haired girl pulled her attention away from the man she’d begun chatting up.

“Yes?” Sage said painfully, she didn’t like to be interrupted when talking to a possible fuck for later.

“The boy I told you about earlier, from the coffee shop, he’s here.”

“Where,” she asked eagerly, suddenly quite interested in the conversation.

“To your left, a few seats away-” Sage turned sharply, easily noticing the blonde sitting alone, drinking a pint.

“Go talk to him.”

“That would be weird, he probably doesn’t remember me.”

“He bought you a fucking coffee, he remembers you whether it’s for your bright eyes or amazing bum.”

“I dunno-”

“Nick, where’s the stick?”

Nicole rolled her eyes, but understood that Sage was making a valid point. She really did need to put herself out there more. She deserved to have fun with a boy, even if it was for only one night. Slowly, she stood up and adjusted her dress. She let her small fingers curl around the bottom of her martini glass before stepping away from Sage to be adventurous for once.

I left the stick back at the University Nicole reminded herself before tapping the Irish lad on the shoulder. He turned around quickly, a bright smile quickly appearing on his lips.

“It’s you.”

Nicole nodded her head, silently supporting his acquisition. “Yes, hi, how’re you?”

“I’m brilliant, now that you’re here.” Her cheeks flushed, and Nicole hoped it was too dark in the club for him to notice. His Irish accent was so charming; no matter what he said it would still have the same, overwhelming effect on her.

“I wanted to thank you for buying my coffee this morning, the least I can do is get you another pint.”

“A lady should never have to pay for anything.” he said simply, waving his hand to get the bartender’s attention. It wasn’t longer than five seconds before the man was standing in front of them, waiting to take their drink requests. “I’ll have another pint, and get the lady another glass of whatever she’s having.”

“You didn’t have to do that.” Nicole muttered, sliding into the seat next to him. He merely grinned, before extending his hand for her grasp.

“I’m Niall, by the way.”

“Nicole,” she replied, taking his hand in hers. The hand-shake lasted longer than necessary, but Nicole wasn’t complaining. She liked Niall. He was hilarious, sweet, and absolutely adorable. She couldn’t help but wonder what was wrong with him. He seemed too perfect.

The pair talked and drank for the next couple hours, laughing loudly about the most ridiculous things while finding the most absurd stuff in common. Nicole and Niall both had a guilty pleasure for the American president, Barak Obama. They both admitted to watching You Tube videos of him talk, while not really paying any attention to what he was saying, they just enjoyed the sound of his voice. Also, Nicole embarrassedly confessed she cried during every Disney movie and was relieved to know Niall was the sensitive type that openly cried during feel-good movies like ‘Finding Nemo’. Nicole discovered it was easy to talk to him, easier than a lot of guys she’d met lately. He generally acted like he cared about what she had to say, not about getting her in bed.

When Sage finally decided she wanted to leave, and staggered drunkenly up to Nicole with a strange git attached at her hip, Nicole became overcome with disappointment because she’d have to leave Niall. She told Sage to wait for her outside, so she could say good-bye to him alone. After standing up for the first time in two hours, Nicole felt all the alcohol rush to her head.

“I should get going.” Nicole said, running a badly, DIY, French-manicured hand through her hair. Niall stared down at her, his blue eyes glistening with excitement as a small smirk tugged at his lips.

“It was lovely getting to know you, Nicole.” her heart fluttered when he spoke her name, and her gaze quickly met the floor. “I’d love to do this again.”

She looked up at him through her eyelashes, running her tongue between her teeth as she worked up enough nerve to ask the question that had been on her mind all night. “Can I have your number?”

A soft chuckle escaped his lips, and he reached towards her, opening his pale hand. “Gimme your cell.”

She reached in the small, silver clutch she’d been carrying with her all night and pulled out her phone before handing it over to Niall, so he could add his number to her contacts.

“Ya know, I don’t give me number to just anyone.” he said, not looking up from the phone’s screen as his fingers tapped away at the numbers and letters. “But you’re too pretty to say no to.”

Nicole could feel her cheeks heat up again, and she mentally spewed off profanities at herself. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d been so embarrassed. “Thanks, I’m glad I’m not too awful to look at.”

“Not at all, love.” he replied, handing her back her cell. She smiled at his name listed with the rest of her contacts before slipping it back in her clutch. “I expect some sort of communication whether it is a text, phone call, or friendly chat at the coffee shop before the weekend ends.”

“Fair enough,” she said, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. “I better get going, my mate is pretty pissed.”

The pair hugged good-bye before Nicole turned to walk away. She looked over her shoulder after taking a couple steps, and a smiled pulled at her lips once noticing he was watching her leave. She found Sage and her conquest for the night snogging outside the club, and Nicole mentally prepared herself for the obnoxious ride home she was about to endure before approaching the couple.

“Oi love birds, let’s get going.”

Sage pulled her lips away from the nameless lad just long enough to whisper something to her mate. “You and blondie looked good together.”

Nicole completely agreed. She really enjoyed being with him all night. It was strange, because she hadn’t felt the sea-sickness sensation of butterflies in so long. She really couldn’t wait to see Niall again. He seemed like the perfect person to get her out of her dating rut that had been caused two years ago by a stupid boy and lots of heartbreak.
♠ ♠ ♠
andddd Niall is introduced! I'm not sure if I write him well or not. To me, he's just an absoulte sweet-heart and incredibly adorable.

Thanks so very much to anyone who commented or subcribed last time. I'm really excited to write more. :)

Lemme know what you think, Comment and Subscribe? :)