Status: My Mother wrote this.

All Fairy Tales.

Two.

Toad, was a friend to us all. Helpful and kind. A bit fat. He used to go “Green around the gills” mind, if things where not too cosy around ‘im. His lady wife was always croaking away, neat and tidy with a little white apron and a “puddin’ ‘at” to match.

Then, one day Toad dropped over, stone dead, he did and auntie Bessie came to stay. To tide the flora over the ills.

I loved her, I did. My new Auntie Bessie. She was full of fun, she was. Ever so clever and talented like.

I missed Toad. He would give us all a little bit of sweeties in our small hands, pink ones. He helped us all build a tree house, which never fell down as it was so strong. Me Da helped with the nails, 6 inch ones they were! You never saw the fruit grow so well after that! Drippin’ it was that mango tree. Drippin’! Me Da said it was because of the nails driven into the tree. Makes it grow better!

Well, I never. Us youngsters even took the puppy up there for a look see. He learned to climb the bloomin’ tree, and he never fell down! Amazing weren’t it?

We had a little cross in the garden for Toad. (Uncle Bill) he used to be. And I couldn’t believe that. Someday we’d all meet again, as he was in the ground now, not here, but in the cemetery. And we planted the pale roses as to remember him well. His favourite. It was a very sad occasion, that there funeral.

Granddad Booth was one hundred and three – and he said he’d never seen the like! Missed him terribly he did. Owd Bill. We tried to comfort him and we took him down the ‘’Shell Hole’’ at the M.O.T.H.S. we did, for his birthday.

Never forget that cake! Made like a real, genuine tin ‘at it was. Meticulous and all. With candles on! So we only put three there, couldn’t place an ‘undred and three, could we? Golly, that was a year to remember. Everything happening all at once.

Then young Paul came to stay in the holidays. A big lad was Paul, bright blue eyes which twinkled. He was a very good drawer, he was showed us how to do cartoons. Little Dot and Lotta or Richie Rich.

Bessie painted them for us. Dulcie and old Grumpy Guts put the posters all over Pamela’s wall and it looked a treat. Sylvia made us all a necklace from seeds we collected down by the river. She was a clever lass. I wrapped her birthday present in the Wish lavatory roll paper with a real Fairy on it! She said it was “Marvellous Sparky! A REAL FAIRY!” Oh and she laughed, and laughed. Well, I didn’t know why she was laughing, then, cause I was only little, about five.