Tonight, The World Dies

Route 666

Rachel sat down in what appeared to be the dining room of the small house. The man who had brought her here was talking with another, slightly shorter, man in the kitchen. She could see them occasionally glance at her, but she didn’t show signs of being curious as to why they were talking about her. She was a stranger to them, and she knew that.

The shorter man entered the dining room with a plastic mug. He set the mug in front of Rachel and sat down next to her. He smiled softly.

“It’s just water,” he said. “Thought you might like some.”

Rachel nodded and pulled the mug closer to her. “Thank you,” she said, and she brought the mug to her lips. She choked as the lukewarm, slightly putrid water hit her tongue.

The man laughed, “Sorry. It’s the best we have. We all had the same reaction when we first drank here.”

Rachel nodded and set the mug back down.

“I’m Anthony,” said the man, reaching out to Rachel.

He had dark brown messy hair, and a matching scruff graced his jaw. His eyes were a light hazel, and the corners were lined from what Rachel could only describe as copious amounts of laughter. She felt immediately drawn to him, and she smiled.

“Rachel,” she replied, shaking his hand. “How many of you are here?”

“Including you?” said Anthony. “Eleven, though I don’t quite consider Jane a real person. We also have a dog.”

“And how long have you been here?” asked Rachel.

“I stumbled upon Charlie about a year ago,” Anthony said, “but we’ve been here for six months.”

“Charlie?”

“The guy who found you. Jesus, he didn’t even introduce himself?”

“I guess there wasn’t time for many questions. I don’t even know what’s going on. I’ve been living in the mountains for four years.”

“The nuclear war has gone further inland,” sighed Anthony. “That’s about all. Charlie’s from Sacramento, the first city they hit. He’s seen the most, so we all trust him. This was the place he chose to settle until he can be sure it’s safe to move on.”

“Move where?” asked Rachel.

“Kansas. It’s the center of the US, so he figures it’s either the best...or the worst place to be.”

“He seems very closed-off. What’s his story?”

Anthony folded his hands on the table and looked at Rachel. He said, “I’m not the person to tell his story, but let’s just say he’s been through Hell and back a few more times than anyone should-”

There was a knock on the door frame, and they looked up to find the woman who’d answered the door standing there. She looked to be about twenty, with auburn hair and dark brown eyes. She crossed her arms.

“Jane,” said Anthony, dropping his voice.

“Charlie says he’s got something to say,” she said.

Anthony nodded and stood. He motioned for Rachel to stay there, but Jane stopped him.

“He wants her,” she said.

Rachel swallowed hard and stood slowly. She followed Anthony and Jane into the sitting room, where a few other people were sitting. They looked at her anxiously, and she sat next to Anthony. Charlie stood at the front of the room.

“I think you all know I’ve been thinking about heading out for some time now,” he said. “I know some of you think it’s safer to stay in one spot and wait for help. With that being said, Donny’s volunteered to stay back with anyone else that wants to. I think some of you have a better chance of surviving here anyway.”

He glanced at Rachel, and her heart skipped. Was he calling her weak?

“If you’re coming with me, I’m leaving at sunrise,” continued Charlie. “You have all night to pack and say your good-byes. Jane and Anthony have already expressed interest in joining me.”

“I’ll go,” said a young man.

“I will as well,” said another man.

Charlie nodded and said, “And the rest of you wish to remain here?”

There was a silent agreement among the rest of the group, and Charlie nodded.

“The dog stays,” he said. “Front porch at sun-up. No exceptions.”

The group began to disperse, but Rachel looked around. Charlie and Anthony went back into the kitchen, and she followed quickly.

“Hey,” she said. “Hey!

They turned to her.

“I’m coming too,” she said.

“I think it’s best if you stay here,” said Charlie. “You don’t seem fit for this kind of journey.”

“Bullshit,” Rachel snapped. “My brother is out there. I have to find him.”

“Your brother is as good as dead if he’s on his own-”

“Don’t say shit about my brother,” said Rachel. “I’m coming with you. I’m going to find him, and I will do whatever it takes. He’s all I have left.”

“You’ll hold us back,” said Charlie. “You don’t know enough about this to survive it.”

“If I fall behind, then it’s my fault,” said Rachel. “Please.”

It was silent for a minute, and Anthony looked between them.

“It can’t hurt,” he chimed in.

Charlie sighed, “Alright, but I’m not going to baby you the whole time. You’re on your own if you fall out of step.”

Rachel nodded, and the two men left.

“Don’t mind ol’ Chuck,” said a woman. “He’s a dick if I ever met one.”

Rachel turned and saw Jane leaning against the door frame, a smirk on her face. She approached Rachel and looked her up and down.

“Are you and Charlie...?” Rachel left her sentence hanging, but Jane laughed.

“God no,” she snorted. “Charles is too angry and hateful to be in love with anyone. No time for dating. I doubt that oaf’s ever been in love with anyone. However, I am the closest he’s come probably.”

“So you are-”

“A roll in the hay a few times doesn’t count as being in love.” Jane got closer, so the tip of her nose was touching the bridge of Rachel’s. “That doesn’t mean you can try, though. I’m watching you, Rookie.”

“I’m looking for my brother,” said Rachel, “not to steal the man you have some secret affair with.”

Jane scoffed and crossed her arms. She opened her mouth to say something, but was stopped by Anthony’s reappearance in the room.

“Get the fuck out of here, Jane,” he said.

She smirked again and purposely bumped shoulders with Anthony on the way out.

“What’s her problem?” asked Rachel.

“Jane’s a...bit of a bitch, actually,” said Anthony. “Normally I wouldn’t throw around harsh words like that, especially with people I’ve only known for a few months, but I think it’s safe for me to use it on her.”

“Why’s that?”

“Not many people leave their kid brother to die when a pile of zombies is filing in,” said Anthony.

“She did what?” said Rachel.

“I don’t trust her,” replied Anthony. “She uses Charlie’s pain to ease the tension on herself. Sleeps with him to get satisfaction. It makes me sick.” He shook his head and said, “Well, you’d better rest up. We leave in the morning.”

Rachel nodded and left Anthony. Her mind was reeling when she laid down on the couch. If she had to deal with Jane for too long, one of them was going to get killed.

---

The sun crept over the horizon, and Rachel threw her backpack over her shoulder. It was time to move out, and all that was on her mind was finding Eric. Charlie led the group, with Jane, Anthony, and Rachel directly behind him. The other two men, Lyle and David, brought up the rear.

“Hey, you guys ever see that movie- erm, what was it?” said Anthony. “Um...Night of the Living Dead?”

“No,” sighed Jane. “No one saw it.”

“I did,” said Rachel.

“Wasn’t it great?” laughed Anthony. “We could kinda pretend this is like that, you know? Lighten the mood-”

“How would a movie about the living dead help lighten the mood?” asked Lyle.

It was silent for the rest of the morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to those who have recommended this story! I'm not quite sure what it means because I'm not savvy on the new Mibba still, but it's gotta be good!

Title credit - 2001 William Wesley film