Before the Rebellion

Damian

I trembled as the day of the reaping came nearer and nearer. I knew what I was going to do. I'd volunteer for what ever boy gets chosen. Even if he wasn't worth saving whatsoever. 

The day of this year's reaping was tomorrow. My parents told my fifteen year-old sister, Lilith, and I to make sure to get plenty of sleep for tomorrow. "Want my kids looking the best out there for the games," she said. 

'How could anyone sleep on a night like this?' I thought to myself, as I lay in bed. Since I couldn't sleep I imagined what tomorrow would be like. I figured it would be just like the past reapings, the ladies go first. They walk up to the stage of metal or some other substance and they get the so called, "honor" of being the representatives of our district. 

I finally got some sleep after imagining that all in my head. I woke up sweating and breathing heavily, as my mother woke me up. 

All she did was laugh as if someone had told her a joke. It annoyed me, but it was the reaping today so I figured, just let it go since I'd be gone soon anyway. She left my room to go and wake my sister up. 

I went to the bathroom, looked in the mirror and laughed. "How am I ever going to do this?" I said still laughing. Sliding my fingers through my dirty blonde hair, I sighed and reluctantly went to go and wash my body. 

I wrapped a cloth around myself and went back to my room and started to dry myself off. I picked out a nice button-up light blue shirt, with dark pants. I buttoned up my shirt and began tucking in my shirt. 

"Don't forget to put your hair back Damian!" my mother yelled across the hall from my sister's room. 

I sighed and stalked back to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and with this sticky liquid that I didn't even know what it was, started putting my hair back. I hated this look. Messy hair is more my style. 

I walked out to the living room where my mother was getting Lilith ready. Lilith wore a white dress with a little bit of embroidering on the bottom of it. Her hair was pulled back into two tight braids with flowers laced in them. Just like she always wears. 

My mother looked towards me. "Looks good," she said and instantly looked away towards Lilith. 

I stomped my way out of this house without a word. 

"Ugh! She just makes me so mad!" I yelled as I made way to the clearing where the reaping was being held. The stage was set up and they had people pricking fingers. I did mine quickly and headed towards all the boys I knew from school. 

"Demetri! I yelled across the sea of kids as I spotted my best friend. He looked exactly how I did. In all honesty, most of the boys there did. Although Demetri had platinum blonde hair. He smiled and made his way towards me, and I to him. 

"Hey Damian," he said, smiling. 

"Hey Demetri." I grinned. "You ready for today?" 

He sighed and said, "As ready as I'll ever be. I've gotten my name in a lot."

"Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. There are a lots of names in there," I tried to reassure him.

All the children from the district were being pushed inward towards the stage. Demetri and I started walking towards the older kids. We lined up right next to each other, along with the other boys. 

The same lady that comes every year covered in make-up, with a face whiter than snow. She wore a blue wig and she smiled too much. She yelled into the mic saying, "Welcome and Happy Hunger Games! Welcome to the Reaping of District One! And may the odds be ever in your favor!"

Blah, blah, blah. I zoned out while she was speaking. She says and does the same exact thing every year. 

"As always, ladies first," she said walking over to the girls bowl of names. She reached in and grabbed one and pulled it out. She opened it and read, "Roseta Redend."

All the girls looked at one particular girl. She was a dirty blonde with green eyes. She had a cute button nose. She looked about sixteen. Overall she was very pretty. I didn't know her at all. She began walking up to the stage slowly. Nobody volunteered to take her place. She walked up the steps to the stage and stood next to the lady. 

"Now for the gentlemen," she stated. She did the same thing she did with the ladies. After she opened the envelope she read, "Demetri Emersion." 

Oh my god. I freaked out. Every boy was staring at my best friend. I quickly spoke up, "Wait! I volunteer! Please!" 

"Looks like we have a volunteer. Come up please!" The lady had said. I looked back at Demetri. His face was full of relief and also a twing of sadness. Then I walked up to the stage. "What is your name?" she said to me, while pushing the mic in front of me. 

"Damian Morgandy," I said shakily. 

She went back to the middle and said,  "These are your tributes for District 1!" She lifted our arms with hers just like she always would do. 

Nobody cheered. All there was, was quiet whispers about how district one has no chance of winning this year. I guessed Roseta wasn't all that popular. 

I was led by peacekeepers to a room where my family was. Lilith came and hugged me. She had watery eyes and began to sob. 

"Don't die on me. Okay? Promise me you won't die," she said, sniffling between each word. 

"I can't promise that I'll live. But I can promise you this, I will try my hardest to win. Nobody will be trying harder than me," I said. 

I let go of Lilith and looked at my mother, "Where's dad? And my brothers?"

"Busy. They couldn't make it," she said smoothly. 

"Couldn't or wouldn't?" I asked. 

"Probably both," she said, smirking. 

"Get out mom, right now," I demanded. 

She got up and left without a word, and slammed the door. "Lilith, promise me you'll be good. I don't want anything happening to you."

"I promise," she said. I grabbed her and hugged her one last time. This time I began to tear up. Peacekeepers came in and ripped her away from me. 

"Be good!" I yelled as she left me alone. 

A few minutes later someone had opened the door. It was Demetri. He ran towards me and hugged me. "Why'd you do it?" he asked. 

"I needed to, for reasons you wouldn't understand. Just trust me on this. If I survive, I'll tell you," I told him. 

He let go of me. "Okay. Then you better survive or else," he said jokingly. 

I smiled. 

"It's time for me to leave," Demetri said. "Win and prove all of the people in our district that we still have a chance of winning." With that he was gone.