Status: Senior year of college, be patient with me.

Shadow

Chapter Nine

The next morning I went upstairs to find Tony. He was pouring himself a cup of coffee and scotch as Pepper cooked.

"Hey, Mini-me, uh!" He grunted as I walked up to him and hugged his torso. Tony patted my back. "What's up, Emmy?"

"Can we do something today, Tony?" I asked through his shirt.

"No today, Buttercup. Pepper and I have plans." I pulled away to see Tony frowning. "Why don't you do something with Cap?"

I shook my head, "I'll go find Loki."

"Hey," Tony whispered hugging my shoulder and kissing my forehead. "We'll do something tomorrow."

"Okay," I mumbled slumping off to Loki's room. I knocked on his door and it opened a few moment later. Loki smiled as Thor bounded up behind him. "Wanna hang out?"

"Not today, Fair Maiden," Thor boasted. "Loki and I are going to spare today. Just like old times," Thor said throwing an arm around Loki's shoulders.

"Oh," I frown. "Okay. Later then."

"You are more than welcome to join us," Loki frowned.

I shook my head and walked way, "Don't feel like it today."

I wondered down to Bruce's lab and sat down at his desk. He raised an eyebrow at me, but continued his work when I didn't say anything. I spun around his his chair until I felt dizzy. I laid my head down on the desk and a small tear slipped down my cheek.

"Okay," Bruce said walking over to the desk and sitting on it next to me. "It seems I need to be the therapist again." I looked up at him. "What's wrong, Emily?"

"I don't know what to do," I mumble.

Bruce sighed and kneels down next to me. "I can't help either, if you don't tell me what the problem is."

"Have you ever loved a woman before?" I ask.

Bruce nodded, "Yes."

"How much did you love her?"

Bruce thinks a moment. "With my whole heart," he whispers finally.

"But you left her," I frown.

He frowns as well, "I had to. In order to keep her safe."

"He wouldn't let you love her, would he?"

Bruce's jaw clenches a little, "No." He looked down at his hands.

"If you had to do it all over again, leaving her I mean, would you do the same thing?"

Bruce nodded, "Yes. I wasn't in control then. I could've killed her if I stayed." I nodded looking down. "But, Emily," he gasped my shoulder and I looked up, "you and I aren't the same person."

"Neither of us have control," I point out.

"I may not have back then, but I do now. I know how to keep him away. And you can learn how to keep your powers away too."

"I've hurt too many people already," I say and tears start to flow down my face. "People I loved." I hiccup. "Bruce, I-I killed my parents."

"Emily," he struggled for words. "You're parents died in a plane crash."

"It was my fault! I was angry with them! I glared at the picture in my room until it flew off the shelf, crashed into the floor, and burst into flames! I didn't realize what I had done until Tony came into my room the next morning to tell me our parents were dead!" A beaker from somewhere in the lab broke.

"Emily, you were young, you didn't know how to control your powers," Bruce reasoned.

"It doesn't matter!" I said, shoving the chair away as I got up. "I killed my parents. I've killed pets. I've killed friends, boyfriends, fiancee's. I've killed just about everyone I've ever loved, Bruce!"

"Once I get the serum right-"

"You can't! It won't work," I stress. "Nothing ever will! I have tried everything! And people still end up dead!"

"Emily-"

"Forget it!" I say storming out of the lab, letting the door slam shut behind me.

~~~~~~

-Third Person POV-

Bruce let her go, figuring she'd hide in her room for a few hours before coming back to apologize. Just like she always did. Sighing he went back to work on her serum that he was determined to perfect.

------

Bruce paced, waiting for Tony to arrive back with Pepper. He tapped his fingers together, his arms folding and unfolding as he did.

Tony laughed at him as he walked in the door. "What's the matter Bruce? Ants in your pants?"

"She's gone," Bruce spoke seriously.

Tony blinked, his smile retreating, "Who's gone?"

"Emily."
♠ ♠ ♠
Three comments ;)