Imperial Pearl White

1/1

Imperial pearl white. That was the color of her casket. The irony was found for many reasons, the main focus being the fact she despised the color white. Her family insisted upon the color, though they knew the truth. Flower arrangements were found sprinkled throughout the funeral home, pink roses adorned with subtle thorns. The air was not as stiff as it should have been for the occasion. As if the family was downplaying the situation. Downplaying death. How unrealistic that assumption sounded, yet it was honest.

A young man stood lonesome with a solemn expression etched into his face. He was handsome, and too young to be as upset as he was. It wasn't just his stiff body structure, or his tautly pulled jaw that gave way to his sadness. It was the void space in his eyes. His lightly colored eyes were dark with depression, a scary sight to any witness.

"Joesph," a voice called, as he closed his eyes. He could tell she was near him.

It was her voice. Her raspy voice. She wasn't angelic or even soft for that matter. Everything about Taylor screamed imperfection. Her pale skin was spotted in light freckles, her eyes were a dull brown. Nothing about her was exotic or special. That was what attracted Joesph in the first place. He relished the fact that she preferred to call him by his full name, not the shortened version. He loved that she rather spend her nights inside, alone, opposed to outside and with a crowd. Her quiet demeanor radiated beauty to Joesph.

Joesph took the first step in the their relationship. He introduced himself to her in school, during art class to be exact. She was lost in her own little world, and Joesph took the opportunity to advance. She already knew who he was, yet she still announced her name to him. The formality of the scene wasn't common among such young people. Tension was high between them, though they eventually broke that barrier down.

Their feelings blossomed at a slow pace. Joesph being new to the entire genuine feeling scenario, and Taylor unsure of herself. They were two awkward teenagers, learning about love the hard way. Soon enough they became inseparable, the whole best friend lover type of thing. As cliché as the situation appear, it defined them perfectly. Trust became instilled in the other, as well as a form of affection. Both were inexperienced at loving.

With a sigh Joesph opened his eyes. People were bustling around him, talking and smiling. He couldn't fathom the disrespect found within the scene. Smiling and talking during a funeral. A time to remember someone, to mourn and yet they stood here with grins. Even though the season was summer, and the atmosphere was humid, they still could have dressed in dark attire. They couldn't even do that much for her. Toleration broke inside of Joesph as he closed his eyes once again, blocking the setting out of his mind.

Their first date. He let out an involuntary smile. It was small and very subtle, but a smile nonetheless. Joesph remembered the night perfectly. It was a hot summer night, much like this one. They went to the local Greek restaurant. The lighting was dim, too dim and Taylor almost tripped. He'd never forget that part. Her clumsiness and her blush whenever she did something incorrectly. Those small qualities always stuck with him.

He couldn't believe the amount of time that elapsed since then. How close they gotten. How many of the holidays and seasons they spent together. How well he grew to understand her, and know her like the back of his hand.

It was a shame to think that all of the time he spent with her, all of the love he emitted, and all of those honest emotions were going to go down the drain. It was the easiest thing in the world to fall in love with her, so simple and so natural. As if she was made specifically for him, molded to his traits. Her petite shoulders fit under his arm as if they were two connecting puzzle pieces. Those memories dunned upon him and brought a spark of joy.

Joy was quickly washed away as the flashback of her last moments recoiled in Joesph's mind. Taylor and her mother were leaving the local swim club, the beginning heat of June was already too much to handle. Her mother was driving and texting, a dangerous task performed too commonly. Paying no attention, she went through a red light, only to collide with a truck traveling the opposite side. The impact as on the passenger's side. Taylor's side. She was always a fighter, which was one of the main reasons she didn't die instantly. She lasted four days in the hospital under intensive care. She passed before her family was presented the chance to pull the plug. Joesph hated those memories. They brought such an immense amount of pain to him, it nearly crippled him.

Taylor was announced dead on June second, at exactly four in the evening. Her parents were saddened, only momentarily. Joesph never felt as broken as he did that day compared to any other time of his life. He could not accept the fact that the one thing he cherished in life was gone, and never to return. The news struck him like a bag of bricks.

What hurt worse was the lack of care given for her funeral arrangements. It took nearly two months. Her frozen body was left alone, unaccompanied, and dead. She was a zombie in a coffin. A drop dead gorgeous zombie in that imperial pearl white coffin.

He shook his head at his irrational thoughts. What would Taylor think of those thoughts? He ventured over to her open coffin. No one was paying her the respect she deserved. Joesph would give her all he could. His hand gripped the side of the coffin, as he averted his gaze to Taylor. Her skin was caked with make up, she would have hated this if she had the chance to object. Her dark eyes were closed, her skin painted flawless and her hair was pulled back. Joesph sighed, this wasn't how she would have wanted things.

He realized how his love resembled war, so easy to begin. Simplicity in falling for her. Yet so hard to end. He wasn't ready to say goodbye. This was not the right time, there would never be a right time. Grasping her hand, Joesph knelt at her casket side. He entwined his fingers with hers, something they always did together. He smiled to himself.

"I'll never leave my love for you in the past," he managed to mutter.

Summoning his strength his brought her lifeless hand to his mouth, placing a kiss gently to it. Whether if it were the summer's heat, or Joesph unstable mind, he could have sworn he witnessed a small smile appear on Taylor's pale lips.