The Cynical Bookworm

All Your Fault

Faith is a strange thing, an anomaly in an otherwise cruel, heartless world. Faith gives hope in times of need. Now, faith need not be religion. If one believes in a higher being, that is their choice. The faith that is being referred to at present is the faith placed in people. Having faith in others alleviates the stress and pessimism from one's own self.

So that was what Freya did. She placed her faith in a stranger who was a mere year older than her. Alec could figure something out, she was counting on it. So, when Freya received a call two days after her father broke her heart, she was elated. Alec must have good news.

"Hello?"

"Hey, can we meet up?" Alec asked.

"The beach?" Freya suggested.

"Meet you there in an hour."

"Okay."

"Oh and Freya, is there any way you could bring the papers your father made you sign?"

"He's out for the day with your father. I'll check in his study, but I doubt he keeps them out in the open.”

“Give it a shot, I’ll see you soon.”

Freya quickly went into Marcus' study and looked around the dark room until she found the papers that had sealed her fate. She sent the papers such an intense glare that if it were possible, the papers would have burst into flames.

Ignoring Marjorie’s attempt at feeding her breakfast, Freya walked to the beach she ran to two nights ago. That night, she returned home and locked herself in her room for the remainder of the last two days. She did not wish to speak to Marcus let alone see his smug face. Marcus knew he was winning and that thought alone made Freya’s stomach curl.

Freya was watching the waves crash onto the beach with her knees brought up to her chest when she heard her name.

"Freya!"

She turned her head to see Alec walking toward her, the wind blowing his hair to the side. With the hair pushed aside, Freya saw the intensity and vividness of his blue eyes. They were probably what got him so many women.

"Tell me you have good news." Freya said, feeling more hopeful than ever.

"I have news but it's not the good kind." Alec said with a frown as he sat down next to her.

Freya's hope shattered and she asked in a small voice, "What do you mean?"

"I looked through the papers my father made me sign. There is, literally, not a single loophole. I even asked a friend who's in law school. He says the contract is as solid as can be."

"That's not good." Freya said.

"I wanted to see your papers. Maybe there's something in them. I doubt it, but it’s worth a shot. Although, if they can be this thorough with mine, they definitely wouldn't leave you room."

Freya handed her papers over and watched Alec read through them, his frown deepening with each word.

"This is even worse than mine." Alec said.

"It's nice to know my daddy dearest has so much faith in me." Freya said sarcastically.

"So, basically, we're going to have to marry each other." Alec said as if it pained him to admit it, to speak the words that loomed over their heads.

"Why would your father even want you to get married?" Freya asked, frustration seeping through her every pore.

"I overheard him talking, more like arguing, with my mom. He thinks if I get married and settle down at nineteen, I'll stop being such a “man of questionable moral conduct.” His words, not mine."

"Does your mother agree with this?"

"My mother threw a hissy fit and said he was ruining my life. But, as usual, my father doesn't care. He's never cared. The only thing to do is nod my head and agree."

"How can he even think I'd make a good wife?" Freya said, more to herself than Alec.

"It's really your fault. You seemed so personable at the dinner. And you cleaned up and apparently you're an amazing cook and you're smart. This is all according to my father."

"I can't cook to save my life. I've managed to burn boiling water. My father probably lied to yours." Freya said before laughing.

"Can you at least make me sandwiches?"

"Oh dear god, I'm marrying a sexist pig." Freya exclaimed before wincing. She was getting married. The two fell into an uncomfortable silence with the water and the seagulls offering nature’s lullaby.

"You want to know something?" Alec asked Freya as he continued to stare at the waves.

"Hmm?”

"I've never made an actual decision in my entire life. My father has decided everything I’ve done since my birth. When I told him I wanted to play the drums, he got me piano lessons. When I tried out for the soccer team, he forced me onto the football team. When I told him I wanted to go to law school, he sent me to Columbia for business. I always thought he'd steer clear of my romantic life. But he's managed to find me my wife too."

"I'm sorry. This is all my father's fault." Freya said as she stared at the ocean too. Water was free, capable of doing whatever it wished. It need not bend to any being’s will. The two of them were like birds in a cage.

"See that's it. It's not our fault. Neither of us did anything to deserve this. Your father's the one who's broke and my father's the controlling asshole. Why should we have to bend to their will?"

"As much as the answer sucks, it's because I've signed papers and you'll be disowned."

"My father said we're supposed to get married after your birthday. When is it?" He asked, wondering how much longer he had left.

"August twentieth." Freya said before frowning. "Do you know, my father doesn't even know when my birthday is. He told me he had to check my birth certificate to figure out when I was turning eighteen."

"How can he not even know your birthday?" Alec scoffed.

"He and my mother separated a month before I was born. I lived in New York with my mother until she died two years ago. Marcus was handed a daughter he spent years trying to forget."

"I'm sorry about your mother." Alec said.

"Well, sorry won't stop our parents." Freya frowned.

"Unfortunately, no it won't."

"Maybe we can do the whole marriage, waste a ton of their money and get a divorce afterwards."

"That sounds like a brilliant idea." Alec said with a smile.

"So for now, I guess I'm the soon to be, Freya Nylund." She said with a wry smile.

"You have to admit, it has a nice ring to it." He said with a smile.

"I'm sure your date from the diner won't like you saying that to some other girl."

"Her name's Misty and honestly, Misty Nylund gives me the creeps. Besides, you're not some other girl. You're my fiancé."

"My oh my, you'll make me blush." Freya said with a roll of her eyes.

“I live to please, fiancé of mine.”

"Alec, if we're going to go through with this, can it at least be on our terms?" She said as seriously as she could. They could strip away their will and independence but she hoped to hold on to some dignity.

"We won't let them take away everything. I promise."

Freya smiled. Perhaps he wasn't so bad after all.

"Freya, you have to make me a promise.” Alec said, just as seriously.

“Of course, Alec.”

“Promise me you won't fall in love with me." His lips tilted upwards into a wide smile and Freya shoved him.

“You stole that line from A Walk To Remember.”

“Olivia is in love with that movie. I swear I’ve seen it so many times I can quote it.”

“I never saw the movie. I did read the book, so I suppose that sort if defeats the purpose.”

“So you’re telling me, you never watched a single Harry Potter movie?”

“Well, that’s different…”

“No, not at all.” He said, interrupting her.

“Oh shut up.”

“Now now, wife dearest.”

“We’re not married yet.” Freya said with a frown. Alec seemed to be far more accepting of this arrangement than her. Suddenly an idea dawned on her.

“I sincerely hope you don’t expect to get laid just because we’re getting married.”

“But, we’re getting married. There’s nothing wrong with us…”

“You will never get me into your bed, before or after the marriage.” Freya said sternly.

“Never say never, my dear.”

“Goodbye, Alec. See you around.”

Freya got up and walked away from Alec. To think, she was beginning to think he was actually normal rather than a horndog. When Freya reached her home, she walked into Marcus’ study and threw the papers on his desk.

“I hope you’re happy, you asshole.”

“On the contrary, I’m worried. Why the sudden emotional outburst, my dear?” Marcus said with mock interest.

“You’re making me marry a horny, sleazebag who wants only to fuck women. You’re selling your daughter for financial security. If mom was alive and present, she’d spit in your face.” Freya said before turning on her heel and walking back to her bedroom. Making him think she was more upset than she really was would only help her case.

She was walking to her room when Marjorie blocked her way. “Freya, I need to talk to you.”

“No, you need to go to Paris with the money my wedding will bring you.”

“Freya, that hurts. When your father went broke, I sucked it up. Money isn’t always everything but your father doesn’t understand that. I even tried to convince Marcus to not go through with this. But, you know him as well as I do. He never listens to anyone other than himself. He is as selfish and proud as can be.”

“Well, your lack of a backbone is going to help ruin my life. Marge, I haven’t even gone to college. I have my whole life ahead of me and now it’s all changed because my father is a self-obsessed arse.”

“I’m sorry.” Marjorie said with a sad look before moving out of her way.

Freya walked into her room and began to dig through the boxes that had not been unpacked yet. Of all the boxes, a good three-fourths of them were marked “books” so Freya searched for hours until she found exactly what it was that she was looking for. The leather bound, well-worn book put a smile on her face before she even opened it. Great Expectations was the last book Rose gave Freya before she died.

“Dear, life is filled with goals and expectations. Some things don’t always fall into place. Remember, not every part of your happily ever after will actually come true.”

Her mother had been more right than ever. She had expected to major in English, work for a publishing company and write and read in her spare time. She never had a prince charming for herself because the only place Mr. Rochesters and Mr. Darcys existed was in fiction. But now, Marcus Adair had ruined all the great expectations she had made of her life.

Freya Adair and Alec Nylund were two people who would never have given one another a second glance if life had not been tampered with. They would have cruised through life with not a problem to care for. However, as fate would have it, their marriage and the journey to that fateful day would prove to be a tumultuous and emotional one filled with tears, arguments and laughs. Let their journey commence.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter! 4 chaps in 4 days? I'm on a roll and it's all thanks you lovely readers. I really was scared that after the marriage came into view, i'd be in trouble but you've all been lovely! Thank you for the comments, subs and recs. They mean a ton.

Chapter title credit: All Your Fault: You Me At Six