The Rain Is Ours

Motionless in White

Lewis punched Burn's leg from his spot on the floor, drawing Burn's attention away from Tate. Burn kicks his leg, hitting Lewis in the stomach. Lewis groans, grabbing his stomach, which Burn rolls his eyes at. Burn didn't kick Lewis very hard, it was just slightly more than a tap. “Oh, stop being a baby,” Adam interjects, “he didn't hit you that hard. You're so dramatic sometimes.” Lewis sits up, playfully glaring at Adam before pouncing on him as a cat would do. Burn chuckles quietly with a shake of his head.

The cushion next Burn dips down as a small body places itself next to him. Burn looks over, smiling upon seeing Tate. She shyly smiles back, and pulls her phone out. Burn watching with curiosity as she opens the 'notes' app in her iPhone, quickly tapping away at the screen to type out a message. As soon as she's finished, she hands her phone over to Burn to read, 'I really like your shirt.' Burn looks down, not remembering what shirt he had put on this morning. Noticing it's a homemade Motionless in White t-shirt that was given to him by a friend for Christmas, he smiles, and continues reading her message, 'Motionless in White are one of my favourite bands. Did you make the shirt yourself?'

Burn looks at Tate with a small smile, “I love them, too. One of my fave bands, actually.” Burn licks his bottom lip before continuing, “No, I didn't make it. It was actually a gift from my friend Kristen. I think she made it, but I could be wrong,” he adds a small shrug on the end. Tate reaches her hand out, asking for her phone back, which Burn gladly gives to her. All the while she taps away at the screen, Burn ends up lost in his thoughts. He can't help but to wonder why it is she hasn't spoken a word since they met, and it makes him wonder how long she has gone since she last said anything. But maybe she doesn't speak. Maybe there is something wrong with her voice box, that's possible, right? What if she's deaf? Deaf people can read lips, and that would explain why she isn't speaking...Then again, she likes Motionless in White—she likes music so she's not fully deaf, if at all. Burn pulls against one of his lip rings as he focuses on his thoughts, only pulling away because of the gentle tug on his sleeve. Burn looks at Tate, smiling as he takes her phone from her once again.

For the next hour and a half Burn and Tate converse with one another—Tate using her phone to type out messages, and Burn speaking. Burn can't keep the wonders from his mind about the girl next to him, nor can he keep the smile from leaving his face. He admits time and time again that there is just something about Tate that makes her special—makes her different. Learning all that he had about her, he can't help but to like her more. They have so much in common! Of course he's going to have feelings for her. Her personality is great, she has great taste in music, lovely style, and she's completely gorgeous—the most beautiful girl Burn has ever seen. What isn't there to like?

Oh, yeah...The fact that she's taken by a semi-close friend of Burn's. There's something not to like about her.