Status: hiatus

Unlocked Hearts

For Her Own Good

Melrose was doing her daily routine of buttoning up her light pink tunic when a hand slammed down on the metal locker beside her. The red head flinched as she spun around in fright, wide eyes with her lips parted as she saw the angry brunette woman seething in front of her. “K-Kelsey? W-W-What’s the matter?”

It didn’t occur to her as to why Kelsey was acting so angry towards the red headed woman, it sprung out of nowhere and seeing that it has been merely a day since the date, nothing made her realized it was about Garron. When Kelsey narrowed her eyes into slits, the older woman hissed menacingly, “You know exactly why I am mad, Melrose. How dare you act like a total bitch to Garron! He was nothing, but nice to you and a completely gentleman and you start flirting with another man while he excused himself to the bathroom. What kind of sick game do you play?”

Melrose stood there in shock as she shook her head, “I-I, no, that wasn’t…no. You don’t understand.”

She didn’t know how to explain to Kelsey that it didn’t go according to plan, Garron wasn’t the man that she thought was cracked up to be and luckily found a guy that was nice enough to give her a few pointers. Tom was just a kind man that decided to converse with her in the most innocent way possible. How can she explain that to a raging woman that looked like she was going to punch Melrose square in the face.

Kelsey scoffed, “How pathetic, can’t even explain yourself about how disgusting you are. Look at you, pretending to be all innocent when you are this fucking whore that turns her back on a man once he leaves the premises. You disgust me.”

The angry woman shoved Melrose against the lockers before she turned away and stormed off. Melrose wasn’t worth losing her job over and the red head was grateful that Kelsey didn’t start anything. As her body shook in fright, tears threatened to fill the corner of her eyes as she slid to the floor. Inhaling deeply, she wrapped her arms around herself as she started to sing to herself. It was the most soothing thing she can do at the moment and she had time to spare before going to her next client.

“Melrose? Mel?...Mellie?”

Melrose’s dark eyes popped open as she met with a pair of kind hazel eyes, biting the inside of her cheek, she gulped when she heard one of her coworkers asking if she was alright. Clearing her throat to get rid of the huge lump that was forming in her throat, she choked, “I’ll be a-a-alright.”

The blond haired woman didn’t look convinced as she stared at Melrose, placing a hand on her shoulder, she looked into the red head’s eyes, “Don’t listen to what Kelsey says, she’s just a bitch. If you found someone better to be with, then screw whatever Kelsey said. At least you found someone that actually doesn’t bore you to death, trust me.”

Melrose looked confused as the blond crossed her legs as she explained that Kelsey always sets up the newest girls with Garron and she was one of them. “By the end of the night I wanted to shoot myself with all that finance crap he was spewing out. You are lucky you didn’t go on a second date with him, god he got even more annoying after that. So,” a grin was plastered on the blond’s face as she placed her head on her palm, “Tell me about this guy that you met during your date with Garron.”

The timid red head didn’t know what to say, she didn’t know if this woman was friends with Kelsey and trying to get something out of her or truly hated the angry woman that attacked her. Licking her lips, she shrugged, “He was nice.”

“Oh please, every man is nice. No tell me what happened between you two, did anything happen?” wiggling her brows at Melrose.

Melrose didn’t think it would hurt to tell someone like her, so in turn shared what happened last night and even shared the part where Garron turned into a sour puss and was rude to her the remainder of the evening. That made the blond grin in satisfaction, after a while, Melrose’s new friend introduced herself as Evangeline as she excited asked, “Are you going to call this Tom fellow? He sounds adorable!”

Melrose played with her tunic as she shyly replied, “I don’t know. I barely know the guy and what if he just said those things so Garron wouldn’t be mean to me?”

“If that was his only intention then he wouldn’t have exchanged numbers with you.”

Melrose still wasn’t convinced as she put her phone in her locker to avoid her treacherous mind trying to convince her to contact Tom. Locking it up, she excused herself to her next client. Evangeline lingered in the locker room as her hazel eyes wandered towards Melrose’s locker. She didn’t see Melrose locking it so it was easy access.

Twisting the knob, she smirked seeing that Melrose didn’t lock her locker. Grabbing the phone, she scrolled down to Tom’s name and instantly started to text a message, “You are going to thank me one day, Mel.” Evangeline grinned as she waited a few minutes to see that Tom confirmed her plans.

As the day went on, Evangeline and Melrose set plans to hang out later on that evening. Melrose was excited to spend time with another human being that wasn’t so mean to her and seeing that the blond woman was actually genuine, she looked forward to it. Melrose and Evangeline had a great time together as they sat in the middle of Melrose’s living room with the red head’s pet Beagle, Ritz as they ate s'mores and watched ‘Chocolat’.

With Evangeline gushing over Johnny Depp and how she would kill to screw him, Melrose blushed as she wagged her finger at her new friend saying it was inappropriate. Evangeline scoffed with a mouthful of chocolate, graham cracker, and marshmallow as she testified that Johnny was now single and she can talk about him anyway she pleased which in turn changed the topic from hot men to sex stories.

Evangeline shared a story first since Melrose was being shy about the whole topic and when Melrose refused to answer, the blonde gasped as she pointed a finger at the red head, “You’re a virgin.” Melrose’s cheeks matched her hair color as she avoided the gaze of the blond as she stroked Ritz’s fur.

Evangeline gawked, “I thought I would never see the day that I would meet someone like you. Is it for religious reason, oh God please don’t tell me you are depriving yourself because of that because sweetie everyone has sex before marriage and you have be to a complete loon not to.”

“No! That’s not it. I just…haven’t found the right guy.” She muttered.

Melrose heard the blond mutter something under her breath before she said, “Don’t want to burst your bubble, but most women don’t find that special someone to give their virginity to, they think they do until the next day when they think, holy shit that was horrible!”

It didn’t waver Melrose as she firmly believed that she can find that someone, “It may be the romantic side of me, but I think it can happen. It’s rare, but it happens.” She licked her chocolate covered lips as she created another s'more while Ritz picked his head up at the treat that was aiming towards Melrose’s mouth. The red head saw her dog and lifted the snack high to avoid the jaws of her dog and quickly bit into it.

“Whatever you say Jellie Mellie.”

Melrose rolled her eyes playfully as she plopped down on her back and ate the rest of her s’more talking to Evangeline.

During her time with Evangeline, she found someone to confide in and when the blond arranged for them to go out to dinner the next day, Melrose didn’t think twice. Picking something simple for her dinner with Evangeline since her friend pointed out it was disgusting to wear the same thing during the day and nighttime.

Standing in front of the restaurant, her eyes scoured the area to see if she can spot the blond woman anywhere in sight.

Melrose?” a distinct voice echoed in her ears as she froze in place. Heat rushed to her cheeks as she turned around to see the same man that she met only a few days ago. “Tom?” Tom smiled as he stepped closer to her as he embraced her like they were long lost friends, “So good to see you again. For a minute there I thought you were never going to contact me.”

Melrose looked up in confusion as she tilted her head, “What are you talking about?” a light smile was still on her lips as she was elated that Tom was here. She suddenly felt bad that it would be so awkward if Evangeline came around and asked Tom to join them. Her heart started to hammer in her chest as Tom looked equally confused at her as he slowly explained, “You text me earlier this week that you would love to go on a date with me.”

“I didn—Evangeline.” Melrose murmured before her eyes flickered up towards Tom in a nervous smile. “I did? Sorry, I must’ve forgotten; I have been so busy as of late.”

Tom didn’t bother to ask why she was so confused, having a feeling that Melrose wasn’t the one that texted him. “It’s alright. Why don’t we head on inside?” he linked arms with Melrose as he politely opened the door for the woman. The nervous woman has never felt so lucky in her life as she walked in with the man that had such an adorable smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the hang up, I have been busy and when I did have time to write a chapter I wasn't feeling it. Again, not a lot of tom in it, but don't worry there will be a lot of Tom filled moments. I can either write the scene of their date or skip it, either way Tom will be in the chapter most of the time.

Thanks for the comments and recs :)

punkrockerballerina (I knew you were floored that her blind date wasn't Tom, sorry but it was too predictable. Needed a little change from the norm. Thanks, I thought it was sweet too and Tom was the knight in shining armor by the end of the night.)

BlueDreams (Thank you, love the name too. No Garron didn't stand a chance against Tom. Mel and Tom will have a wonderful romance, I promise you that much.)

bldyddkangl (haha they will be together in no time. Don't worry. Thank you, it just came up out of the blue on how the two would meet since I wanted it to be different than the rest.)

JustThinking (Good eye, glad to see that you didn't expect Tom to be the blind date, you are starting to think like me XD You are right in some aspect about the text thing, but she didn't do it, her new friend Evangeline did instead. Well, you will learn more about Melrose as the chapters go on)

whitenybows (Thanks and hope you enjoy it)

Lloyd Christmas (Thank you, hope you enjoy it.)