Status: Complete! (:

Darkcide

Darkcide.

.
.
.

I stared up at the faded blue-green building, my heart rising to my throat.

Just knowing I was going to see Allison always made me nervous. She had had that effect on me ever since I’d met her on my first day of work for Amity Falls High School. My heart hadn’t beat normally for weeks.

She had told me she was stopping by her apartment tonight to pick up some things before heading back to her mother’s.

We had had lunch together after our little quarrel but didn’t talk about Hoodlim again. The air between us had been awkward but I dealt with it, knowing I was about to tell Allison everything later.

Later as in now.

I had arrived in front of her apartment and I had never been more nervous about anything in my twenty-five years of life.

Taking one step in its direction, a huge explosion rocked my entire body forward before I caught myself on the rusty dumpster on the wall of the old building.

I turned around to see a horrifying—and somewhat delightful—sight before me. Someone had blown up the newspaper headquarters.

I couldn’t say I was terribly disappointed. They had been spreading nothing but lies about me but I had hoped once I explained everything to Allison they could help me out.

The fire flickered about. It wasn’t too far away from Allison’s apartment. Burning ashes of the paper they printed showered down on the town, everything they touched burst into flames.

Generally paper bits couldn’t set entire brick buildings and people on fire but it must have been genetically altered. Only someone with special education in chemistry could have engineered this. And there had only been two chemistry teachers in Amity Falls in the past thirty years and one of them was proclaimed dead. And I certainly hadn’t done this.

How does a dead man blow up a building? Or set fire to an entire town?

I heard a terrified scream above me. I glanced upwards to see Allison trembling on her low-walled balcony with a hand clammed to her mouth.

“Allison!” I cried. Her large eyes gaped down at me wordlessly. Without thinking, I jumped a few feet and gripped onto the fire escape, pulling my body up effortlessly. I swung my appendages around, gripping bar after balcony after ladder until I reached Allison.

She gawked at me as I swung onto the ledge of her balcony without so much as an extra intake of breath. I grinned awkwardly at her shocked expression.

“Hey, Allison.” I muttered.

“How?” She sputtered, “Glenn—What—What the hell is going on?” She begged, tears threatened to fall down her pale face.

I reached out a shaky hand to wipe away a stray tear but she jerked away. I let my hand fall, feeling dejected. She peered out the open balcony, appalled by the sight before her. Screams filled the falling night. Fire was slowly catching.

“It’s that Hoodlim.” She whispered in disgust, “I told you, Glenn. I told you this would happen! Do you still think he’s got such pure intentions now?”

“Yes,” I breathed. Allison’s face contorted into an ugly, disbelieving mask.

How?” She demanded, “How can you justify this?” She pointed out the window to her beloved town, burning to the ground.

“Because,” Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to tell her anymore, “Because—”

“Tell me, Glenn!” She shrieked, her once beautiful face now red and furious. “How does your sick mind stick up for Hoodlim after all he’s done?”

“Because I’m Hoodlim!” The words slipped out all wrong. They were angry and proud at the same time. I’m sure the greedy glint in my eyes didn’t make her feel any more comfortable. “I’m Hoodlim.” I said again, more calm.

Allison backed away, her face void of emotion but I could see the utter dismay in her bright eyes. “Y-You?” She whispered.

“Yes, Allison. It’s what I came here to tell you.” I stepped forward with a hopeful smile on my face.

“Don’t come near me.” Allison spat, putting up her hands defensively. “You’re a monster!”

Her words were cold and truthful but I refused to believe them.

“I’m saving people, Allison!” I bellowed as she inched closer to the balcony. Where was she going to go? I was blocking the door to the apartment. There was only one way out: down.

“I’m getting rid of people who would hurt you, kill you if they had the chance and opportunity! I’m a hero, Allison. Why can’t anyone see the good in what I’m doing?” I demanded fiercely, releasing a cruel chortle from my chapped lips. I could almost feel the heat from the fire brewing outside.

“You’re killing people, Glenn.” Her lips trembled in dread. Wet, salty tears were falling freely from her eyes. “You’re no hero. You’re a villain.”

I knew I could no longer have Allison. Her eyes, her body language, everything about her screamed it. And I wanted to destroy everything beautiful I’d never have in that moment.

I stepped forward again as if to explain my actions more (as if Allison hadn’t already made up her mind about me). Allison made to scream at me to stay back but her foot caught on a small flower pot that she must have forgotten to place back on the ledge.

Her face would almost have been comical if she hadn’t fallen backwards. Her brown eyes bugged helplessly at me, her red mouth slightly agape as if she was in mid-scream but nothing came out. Her thin arms flailed slightly and I stared frozen, in horror.

There was no bad guy to beat up to save Allison. I was the only thing keeping her from life and death. It was the ultimate power trip. Deciding Allison’s fate.

Dashing forward, I thrust my arm out as she toppled over the low-wall. Our fingertips graze as she looked up at me with those soulful eyes one last time. I couldn’t get a clean grip. She had fallen too fast and I had waited too long.

Unconsciously, I had decided her fate. She had called me a monster, she had spited me. She was just as bad as those men I killed. Allison was going to try and stop me. I couldn’t let that happen.

Helplessly, I watched as Allison fell in slow motion. I had never wished for some ridiculous ability like flying or shooting webs from my wrists before now. There was nothing I could do to save Allison now as she fell. She was as good as dead.

And within seconds, she was.

There was a painful crunch as the body slammed on the ground from her seventh story apartment balcony. I stared down at the lifeless thing that had been Allison.

Staring into her empty brown eyes, I should have felt sorrow, mournfulness, guilt.

I felt power.

Allison had to die. It was practically written in stone. She would never have understood my mission statement. She was close-minded. She was weak.

She was dead.

A small, relieved smile graced my lips as I turned away, putting up my hood and tying the strings tight.

I made my way down the fire escape and marched forward through the dying city.

I stood in the center of the chaos, casually glancing around at the handy work of the chemistry teacher I presumed wasn’t entirely dead.

I watched the city burn.

The heat flickered around, lighting up the dark and crowded streets. Screams vibrated through my skull, pleading, begging me to help.

But, why?

Why on earth should I help them anymore?

They hated me, they all turned on me. I owed them nothing.

Emptiness swallowed me as I searched the streets for her face. I knew I would find nothing. She was gone.

The tiny bit of humanity still attached to my soul tried to catch my attention.

That’s why I didn’t help. It was all their fault she was gone. Everyone in Amity Falls was to blame.

I knew it was illogical. Of course this city wasn’t to blame for Allison’s death. If I was honest, it was my foolish lifestyle. It was me.

Being a ‘superhero’ was as dangerous and idiotic as it was in the movies.

So, why should I feel the need to save a city that wasn’t my responsibility? I was just a high school science teacher.

Things had started out so right. I was helping people, saving them, putting bad guys in prison. I was on top of the world after a science experiment gone very wrong.

It was like I was stuck in some reject Marvel Comic gone horribly awry. I was given some strange super power and a savior complex. Probably the worst combination ever.

But, then everyone turned on me. Allison turned on me.

They deserved to burn.

The small speck of light within me diminished in the fire that was Amity Falls. I was no longer Glenn Waters or Hoodlim. I was something else entirely. Something better and badder.

I thought about who my new identity should be. A name suddenly popped into my head and I instantly knew who I was.

I was no superhero.

I was Darkcide.

I was Darkcide. And I was a super villain.
♠ ♠ ♠
The end.
So, this is my first original story. It's pretty crap-tastic but it's a process. I'll learn as I go.
Thanks to moxie for hosting the contest and letting me turn this in so late. Hope it was worth it?
We shall see.
Thanks to everyone who has read it. Comment and tell me what you think? (: