Status: Active

Chance Encounters

Not Expected

“Come on Luke, just one more bite,” Ellie said sternly, watching me eat my second sandwich of the day.

I sighed loudly and took a small piece of the bread, chewing it and forcing myself to swallow.

“There. Was that so hard?” Ellie asked, seizing the sandwich and taking a bite of it before throwing it into the garbage.

“Actually, yes,” I said.

I just wasn’t used to eating, let alone devouring 1,000 calories day. That didn’t seem like much, but it was for me. For the past week and a half, Ellie had been watching me like a hawk. Every second she was with me, making sure I swallowed food and didn’t throw it up later. I realized that she didn’t want me to go to the hospital again, but it was honestly killing me. I couldn’t do anything without being censored. It was like my freedom had been taken away from me.

What’s worse is when Mary was home, she would watch me just like Ellie. I needed to make some boundaries, or I was going to burst.

Ellie pulled out her backpack and put it on the table. She took out her binder and tossed her bag on the floor. “Well, I guess since we have nothing else to do that we should work on our homework,” she sighed despondently.

“Oh, good idea. My bag is upstairs. I’ll be right back,” I said, waiting for her to nod and then running up the stairs.

I walked into my room and flicked the light on. My room was quite a mess. It was still covered in a couple hundred photos that Ellie had forgotten to pick up. I never went through them, mostly because I valued her and didn’t want to go through her personal things.

I walked over to my bed and grabbed my bag off of the comforter. I forgot that I had left it open, however, and a couple of pencils and a book fell out. I kneeled down and picked the pencils up. The book was slid a couple of feet under my bed, so I crawled a bit and reached for it. Instead, I had unintentionally grasped a couple of photographs. I pulled them out and was about to set them on the bed, when I realized what the pictures were.

I scattered them across the bed, noticing the different backgrounds, the different scenery, the different sky. The only thing that was similar was the fact that I was in all of them. The photo to the left was the first time I had ever met Ellie. We were walking to her friend’s truck. The sun was in the top corner, leaving a shadow beside me. I was smiling, looking like I always did right before mom died. I looked fit, not anorexic like I did in the rest of the photos. My eyes were lively and energetic, opposed to my dull, dead ones in the other pictures. I was wearing a plain white shirt that was almost translucent in the sunlight.

The next picture showed me covering my hands over my face. I was wearing a black long sleeved shirt. I didn’t remember this, but obviously I knew she was photographing me at the time.

All of the others were of me walking somewhere, looking distraught and frustrated. I was honestly amazed how much emotion Ellie had managed to capture. It was almost like you could read my life story. And although these photos made it seem like Ellie was a stalker, I thought it was amazing that she cared that much to take them.

~~*~~
“Luke! Dinner time!” Ellie called, stomping upstairs.

I hopped out of the shower and dried my body off before pulling my boxers and jeans on. I realized I had forgotten to get a shirt, so I opened the bathroom door and began to walk to my room when Ellie groaned.

“Come on Luke. Is it so hard to get a shirt on?” She asked, rolling her eyes and passing me in the hallway.

I smirked and stalked into my room. I opened the oak dresser next to my bed and effortlessly pulled out an old white button down. I buttoned it up and slowly walked downstairs, hearing Ellie follow behind me.

“So, what’s for dinner?” I asked, sitting at the counter.

“Caesar salad and bread,” she said, pouring the dressing over the lettuce.

After Ellie pulled the bread out of the oven and set it on the island table, she sat on a stool next to me. She handed me a plate and tossed salad onto her own. Ellie took a quick bite of bread before watching me, waiting for me to eat something. I mentally rolled my eyes and shoved salad into my mouth. I had a hard time chewing it all, but eventually swallowed.

I stopped for a moment and took a deep breath. Ellie kept staring at me. She motioned for me to continue eating. I dropped my fork and glared at her.

“I know how to eat, Ellie,” I spat, making her cringe a little.

“I just want you to be healthy Luke. I care about you,” she said, setting her bread down.

“But watching me every single minute is freaking me out. It’s like I don’t get any personal space. Can’t you just trust me?” I asked, standing up and throwing my food in the garbage.

Ellie practically growled, but stuffed her mouth with a piece of bread.

“It’s not about trust Luke. It’s about caring for you,” she said calmly.

“I’m not a child. I know how to take care of myself,” I said vulgarly.

“And I know that, but you could die Luke!” Ellie exclaimed.

“Oh really? I had no idea,” I said sarcastically, acid dripping from my lips.

“Can’t you just be happy that you don’t have to fight this disorder on your own?” She asked.

“But that’s the point. This is my body, not yours. I don’t need you,” I said, offending Ellie.

I shrugged and walked out of the kitchen and to the front door. I couldn’t stand this. Even if I didn’t have anywhere else to go, it was a hell of a lot better than staying here, being watched like I was in jail. I wasn’t a criminal. I hadn’t done anything wrong. I knew how to fix my problem on my own.

“Where are you going?” Ellie asked, following me.

“I’m getting out of here. I can’t stand this,” I said, beginning to open the door.

Ellie attempted to slam the door shut, but I was somehow stronger than her. I walked outside and walked down the steps before she ran after me.

“Luke please, just stay,” she begged.

“Why? So you can continue to nag at me?” I asked.

“No. Just…Give me…this house…..Mary…. another chance,” she whispered, her voice getting so quiet I could barely hear her.

“Why should I give you another chance?” I asked, stepping closer to her.

“Because…” she started to speak.

“Because?” I asked, waiting for her response.

When she didn’t reply, I sighed, and walked off of the porch, heading somewhere far away from her house.

“WAIT!” She screamed, running to me and turning me around.

Before I had a chance to comprehend what was going on, Ellie’s lips crashed against mine. Nothing happened at first, probably because I was in so much shock. But when I understood what was happening, I moved my mouth against hers, feeling her wrap her fingers in my hair.

But just as quickly as the kiss had happened, it ended, and Ellie pulled away. We stared awkwardly at each other before she broke the silence.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean …”

“It’s okay,” I said, walking back up the steps.

“Wait, what are you doing?” She asked.

“I’m staying.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my gosh, this chapter is absolutely terrible.
I'm sorry guys. I'm suffering from major writer's block.
Urgh.
Well, thanks for all the comments.
It means everything to us. (:
~Mwah,
Alexandra.