Status: Active

Chance Encounters

Suddenly (Ellie)

After Mary had managed to work something out with her insurance agent we were allowed to check Luke out of the hospital without going through his father. I’m sketchy on the details on how but she did it. I think in another life Mary might’ve been a lawyer, though that wouldn’t explain why she detested them so much now. When Mary was signing the forms to get him out she had a serious conversation with me. At first she was angry with me not telling her that Luke was Anorexic. I hadn’t known, I argued. Though I apparently didn’t have a very good track record with being honest and upfront she took my word for it. Mary made me promise to make sure he was eating right so we wouldn’t have this scare again. But I didn’t know how that would get over.

I had never taken care of a goldfish properly before. I didn’t think I would be able to manage taking care of a human being easily. That was all I could think of on the ride home with Luke and Mary from the hospital. Mary was putting him in my hands and I had no idea if I could help. It was literally someones life being pushed onto my shoulders. I’m not sure how people could handle it. It gave me a new appreciation for my mom and dad. I thought about calling them that night. Though by the time we reached home I had already forgotten about calling.

“Come on Luke,” I said trying to hide my exasperation with determination. “Just one more bite.” Luke gave me a look and I sighed internally. We hadn’t been home from the hospital for that long maybe a week or two but I had already taken on my role as Luke’s monitor. I could tell he was starting to hate me for it. Sighing Luke took another bite of his sandwich. He had only eaten half but I knew that if I made him eat another bite then he would probably go and throw it up later. I threw it in the garbage. “There, was that so hard?” I asked him smiling.

“Actually yes.” Luke said scornfully and I felt a pang in my chest. I knew he didn’t like this. I didn’t like it either. I just wanted him to be healthy. I turned away quickly so I wouldn’t say something like ‘I’m sorry I don’t want to do this’. I pulled my backpack out from behind the counter and threw my binder on the table.

“Well I guess since we have nothing else to do we should work on our homework.”

“Oh, good idea. My bag is upstairs. I’ll be right back.” Luke said as he ran upstairs. I was half tempted to go up the stairs with him and make sure he didn’t throw up his sandwich. I had to hold myself back from doing it. I didn’t want him to hate me more than I already knew he did. I sat down and opened my binder pulling out some sheets of paper. He came down relatively quickly and we worked for a few hours before Luke went upstairs to take a shower. While he was in there I took the time to work on my photography assignment.

I loved my photography class now. My teacher was so cool! He had a show coming up. This gallery was showing a couple of his pieces that he was going to bring in next week. Mr. Rider… Alec, didn’t tell any of us about it though, but one day I heard him on the phone while I was in one of the dark rooms. He sounded really excited. And I couldn’t blame him. Having an art show of your work was the dream of most photographers. I had looked up the show and I was definitely going. Maybe I could ask Luke to go with me. I’m not sure he was really into photography but it was a way to get him out of the house and give him something to do other than be under Mary’s constant watch whenever she got home. Maybe we could even go to a movie or something afterward.

Alec had assigned us each a project , the project was simply titled life. He tended to do that. Just give us the photo’s theme and title and let us be on our way. Which was totally cool with me. It gave me more room to look for things that people didn’t see or things that I wouldn’t even notice without my camera. Would life look better in black and white or color? Focused or blurred? Abstract? Landscape? Portrait? I never knew until I found the shot in my viewfinder

***

“Luke!” I called coming up the stairs. “Dinner time!” I had set out dinner downstairs on the counter. Well part of it, the other part was in the oven it had about a minute left and I was really hoping it would be good. My aunt had attempted to help me learn to bake of I could make more things that Luke might like to eat and so far all I could make was bread. But it was really awesome bread if I do say so myself. I had come upstairs not only to get Luke but also to grab my cellphone charger, I had spent the time while the bread was baking texting Sarah, she was telling me about how my ex had gotten his new girlfriend pregnant, she was refusing to get rid of the baby and making sure he was raising it. I’m not sure how I felt about that but I couldn’t stop talking with Sarah and my phone was dying. When I got to the top of the stairs though I had to pause for a heartbeat, Shirtless Luke coming out of the bathroom hair still wet. WOW. I caught my breath and composed myself. “come on Luke. Is it so hard to get a shirt on?” I rolled my eyes and passed him heading into my room before he could catch me blushing.

With my charger in hand I went downstairs too see Luke sitting at the counter with a white button up and a pleasant look on his face.

“What’s for dinner?” He asked.

“Caesar salad,” I leaned over and pulled the bread out of the oven. “and bread!” I said happily. I poured the dressing over the salad and pulled the warm loaf out of the pan setting it on a plate. It fell apart as a pulled it out of the pan and I almost swore to myself. It was too fresh out of the oven. I should have waited for it to cool down a little before moving it. It was a rooky mistake. Whatever the bread would still taste amazing pretty or not.

I sat down next to Luke and gave Luke a plate of salad and a big slice of bread. I wanted him to like the bread. I really did. I served myself some and watched Luke as he tried to eat. He got a bite of salad down and I tried to get him to eat some of the bread before he got to that point where he wouldn’t eat anymore. His fork made a slinking sound against the plate and I looked at it quickly then back to Luke’s face.

“I know how to eat Ellie.” He spat at me. I almost flinched and put the piece of bread I had picked up back down on my plate.

“I just want you to be healthy Luke.” I said, and softer I said, “I care about you.”

“But watching me every single minute is freaking me out.” Luke said angrily and I cringed because I knew that was exactly what we were doing.”It’s like I don’t get any personal space. Can’t you trust me?” He go up and threw the plate in the garbage. Along with the bread that I had learned to make for him. I looked at the garbage I was sad and angry. I had made that for him and he just threw it away! I grumbled and took a bite of my own piece finding that it had lost its flavor for me.

“It’s not about trust Luke. Luke.” I said calmly trying to sooth him. He was agitated and obviously acting rashly. “It’s about caring for you.”

“I’m not a child.” He growled “I know how to take care of myself!” I felt a bubble of panic rise inside of me. That wasn’t how I wanted him to feel. I didn’t want him to think I was treating him like a child or something weak. I- I just didn’t want to see him in the hospital again!

“And I know that but you could die Luke!” I said my voice raising more in Panic than anger.

“Oh really?” Luke looked overly shocked and cocked his eyebrows.

“I had no Idea.” The sarcasm stung but he was angry. I could forgive that.

“Can’t you just be happy that you don’t have to fight this disorder on your own?” I asked looking at him. I knew that going through things alone was terrible. But was going through this with Mary and me looking over his shoulder really making it worse?

“But that’s the point. This is my body, not yours!” Luke shouted and I backed up closer to the wall. It was scary how similar he looked like his father in this moment of anger. I saw the anger in his eyes die down slightly and felt a small sense of relief. But I shouldn’t have. “I don’t need you.” He said in a quieter tone. My eyes widened and I almost felt tears coming into my eyes. He hated me… He hated me… No! I only wanted to help him! Luke began walking out of the kitchen and I followed him worried.

“Where are you going?” I asked my voice almost cracking.

“I’m getting out of here I can’t stand this.” He opened the door and I struggled with him to keep it shut but he pushed though anyway. He couldn’t stand it… did that mean he couldn’t stand me? I ran after him. I didn’t want that.

“Luke please stay. I begged him and tried to keep step with him, but his legs were longer than mine.

“Why? So you could nag at me?” He said and I could tell he seemed determined to get out.

“No.” I said stepping a foot or so in front of him blocking his path.

“Just…Give me…this house…..Mary…. another chance,” I pleaded him my voice threatening not to work.

“And why should I do that?”

“Because…” My heat was pounding in my chest. Could I say it? I opened my mouth to see if the words would come out. Please I begged myself. Just say it!

“Because?” He waited another moment while I tried to get the words to come out. They wouldn’t. Come on Ellie! Then he began to walk away. I hadn’t said it and he was leaving! NO!

“WAIT!” I shouted rushing down the stairs and almost tripping over my own two feet. Luke turned around and before I could give myself time to think I got on my toes and I kissed him! I kissed him with everything I had, at first, he was unresponsive and I felt my knees begin to shake, had I made a mistake? He didn’t feel the same way? Oh god! What had I done? But then, then his lips began to move against mine and they were soft and firm and kissing me! My hands slid up his neck and curled into his hair it. Was so soft and it was damp. When I remembered why it was damp I remembered why I had been so afraid of telling him how I felt in the first place. We lived in the same house! What if things didn’t work out?

I pulled out of the kiss, feeling my lips tingling softly and feeling warmth spread through me followed my a quick shock of ice cold fear. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean-“

“It’s okay,” Luke interrupted starting back toward the house.

“Wait, what are you doing?” I asked.

“I’m staying.” Luke replied and I followed him inside.

***

Mary came home a few minutes after we walked inside the house and I couldn’t talk to Luke about what I did. We all went to our separate rooms. I had changed into my nightgown and brushed my teeth and washed my face and all of those important things you should do before bed. But as I lay on my bed in the dark I couldn’t sleep. I could still feel Luke’s lips on mine ad I could still feel his damp hair between my fingers. I knew I wasn’t going to be able to do anything until I talked to him again. So I waited till I couldn’t hear channel 5 news anymore, which meant Mary was asleep. Then I decided to sneak out of my room. I closed my door quietly and snuck down the hallway to Luke’s room. I opened the door a crack and whispered his name before coming in and closing the door behind me.

“Luke. Can I talk to you?” I asked quietly. Luke who was laying on his bed i hoped still awake sat up on his bed and looked at me.

"What about?" He asked and my jaw almost dropped. how could he NOT know what I wanted to talk to him about? then I saw a grin spread across his face
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry it took so long to write! Thank you allll SOOOOOOOOOOOO Much for reading and staying with us in my crazyyy schedule. I hope you guys like the chapter. It's kind of a retelling of last chapter form Ellies point of view but i hope it make you udnderstand some of what goes on and how its going through her mind. Comment sub rec! Pleaseeeee!