Status: Active

Chance Encounters

For A Reason

”Luke, come on!” Brandon said, dragging me by my shirt.

“I don’t want to go to the fair. There are so many people, and you know I’m claustrophobic,” I replied, resisting his pull.

“Michael’s waiting for us though. We’re not leaving him alone. Besides, I want to find a couple of cute girls,” he said, loosening his grip.

I stood up from my chair and brushed his hand off. Brandon glared up at me. “Come on man, please?” He asked. I had known Brandon since we were toddlers, and I knew he only begged when he desperately wanted to do something. I sighed and looked at him.

“Fine, let’s go,” I said, feeling defeated.

Brandon smiled broadly, grabbed his bag and walked outside of my grungy one story house. I followed after him and we walked outside and onto the sidewalk. I grew up living less than five minutes away from the fair. So every year that I didn’t go, I would sit out on my porch and smell the cinnamon rolls being baked, caramel apples dripping, and elephant ears being drowned in a deluge of sugar and spice.

Even though I knew the myth wasn’t true, I never stepped on any of the cracks on a sidewalk. I blamed it on my disorder. I had severe obsessive compulsions. Everything had to be done a certain way a certain amount of times.

If I ever stepped on a crack, I would call my mom exactly three times and make sure she was all right. I guess it was the fact that my mother was the only one I had ever loved in my life. She was the only person that treated me with respect and genuine kindness. I couldn’t risk having her gone.

When we got to the entrance gate, we paid for passes that would let us get on all of the rides and walked in. Right in front of us, we saw Michael aimlessly walking around trying to find people he knew. “Oh hey guys,” he said, smiling when he found us.

The three of us walked around for a while, trying to find rides with shorter lines. After realizing all of the rides would take an extremely long time to get on, we resolved it with getting a couple of pretzels. I ate mine quickly because I was starving, but Michael and Brandon took their time, savoring each greasy, salt filled bite.

Waiting for Brandon and Michael to finish, I noticed that the line for the Ferris wheel was getting shorter. “Hey guys, how about the Ferris wheel?” I said, pointing. They nodded, still slowly eating their pretzels. When they were done, we walked over to the line. I looked up and saw people in the baskets, smiling as they went higher and higher, and some frowning as they realized the ride was almost over.

We moved a couple feet and were closely nearing the entrance. A couple of minutes went by, and I noticed Michael and Brandon attempting to hit on two girls. I didn’t know who they were, but they seemed to know each other. Looking in front of me, I noticed a girl all alone. She seemed to be trying to negotiate with the operator. I had assumed that she didn’t have anyone to ride with, and I realized three people couldn’t fit in one basket, so I would be alone too.

I walked up to the girl and put my hands softly on her shoulders, startling her. “I’ll go with her,” I said, smiling brightly. The operator looked at me curiously. The girl turned around and my grin grew even bigger. Her hair was a little lighter than mine, long and wavy. Her eyes were big and brown, making me want to gaze at her forever.

We watched each other for a couple moments before she hesitated. “Uhhhh,” she started saying, obviously not knowing what to say. “Are you sure?” She snapped. “I mean, wouldn’t you rather go with your friends?”

I smirked, realizing she was nervous. “No, they’re a little busy now,” I said, pointing towards them and the girls they were talking to. She blushed promptly and looked in a different direction when she heard someone calling her name.

However, I hadn’t heard what the girl had said because I was still lost in her eyes. I knew it sounded stupid, but she was so gorgeous. She definitely wasn’t perfect, but it was her flaws that made her beautiful. I instantly had noticed her hips sticking out of her skinny body, making her seem uncomfortable with herself.

Her legs were small and tan, but muscular. Her lips were a bright pink, making her teeth look remarkably white when she smiled.

“Uh, yeah okay,” she said, her eyes set on mine. I took that as her meaning she would go with me. “Um, do you always try to help out strangers?” She asked.

“Yeah, kind of, it doesn’t hurt if it’s a damsel in distress either,” I replied. The lady motioned us into a basket and we sat down next to each other.

The seats were a little small, so our thighs were touching. However, it wasn’t necessarily uncomfortable. Actually, I felt like I had known this girl for a while, and like she didn’t care. She seemed so laid back and down to earth. I enjoyed that, especially because I always had to be on top of everything, which ultimately made me stressed out all the time.

“Hey Luke!” I heard Brandon call in the basket below us. I looked down and saw him pointing next to me. I shrugged. It wasn’t like they were trying to be around me. Michael glared at me as I smiled and turned around.

“Brandon, I’ll meet you guys after the ride okay?” I said.

“Don’t rush dude!” Michael called out.

I heard them cheering. I looked over and saw the girl playing with her camera. She seemed uneasy, and I didn’t know what to say. But I decided to start something about her interests. “That’s a really nice camera you’ve got,” I complimented. She blushed, her cheeks becoming darker than the rest of her, which was strangely adorable.

She smiled. We talked the rest of the way, about hobbies, photography, art. She told me her name was Ellie. It fit her perfectly. She was so small and cute, and she defined the name. When the ride was over, we got off and talked a little bit. She gave me her number, and I told her I would text her. But when I got home that night, the piece of paper she gave me had slipped out of my pocket.

I thought I’d never see her again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, Alexandra here!(:
This is a story that Lena and I have started.
I'm super excited to get this going.
Tell us what you think please.(:
Thank you!
MWAH.