Status: New

If Not for You

Party

Two weeks had passed and Billie had gotten into the grove of things once again with her new job. It was Saturday night and she was at the venue being sure things were perfect for the event she was throwing for her closest friends’ future together. The venue was one of their favorite bars and she stood on a chair placing a banner up. She faced the wall as she pinned the banner high for all to see.

“A little high for you to reach?” a familiar British accent spoke behind her. Billie knew the voice but she remained unaffected and determined to do the job herself.

“I’ve got it.”

“You’ve always been stubborn.”

“I prefer determined,” Billie states as she stepped down from the chair. She turned to give the man a small smile. “What are you doing here so early?”

“Thought there was a pre-game happening.”

“Pre-game?”

“I take it I am quite early,” he responds with a smile. He took in her every feature, seeing that she had changed on so many levels. It took him by surprise to see her look so different, she looked great but he just felt there was something off. He remembered she was more plump, softer in appearance and now she much sleeker, more severe. So much of who she was, was little imperfections that he had appreciated. Still he wanted to be near her, hear all that was new in her life. “So you’re still getting things ready?”

“Looks that way,” she says moving the chair back in its place. In her mind she repeatedly told herself to remain casual and not awkward.

“Need help with anything?”

“Maybe help rearrange the tables?”

“I can do that.”

Billie smiled again and he smiled back at her. Seconds turned to minutes and minutes passed quickly as they rearranged the place to be more suitable for the party. Guests arrived and finally the guests of honor came with big smiles on their faces. Katie and Tom entered the bar holding hands, immediately heading over to Billie who had been talking to the bartender.

“B this is great,” Katie states hugging her friend.

“Glad you like it. It’s only the beginning though.”

“Holy, is that?” Tom spoke spotting one of the members of Marina Mile. “Katie she got Marina Mile here.”

“What? That’s awesome! B this is amazing, are they going to play?”

“Yes,” Billie nods taking great joy from the excitement prominent on her friends’ faces. The couple attacked her with a hug nearly crushing her between them. Everyone had drinks, talked about the good times had and what were to come. The band began to play but no one danced. Thomas spotted his supervisor from the across the room and took notice of him walking towards Billie. She turned to him with a slightly timid smile as he took her by the hand to lead her to the dance floor.

“What are you doing Luther?” she spoke with a nervous chuckle.

“Dancing with you,” he replies pulling her into a dancing stance. Billie was appreciative of what he was attempting to do, she had been moving around encouraging others to do the same but to no anvil. Luther Thompson twirled Billie around and then caught her, pulling her close to him. He could feel how soft her skin was against his hand and his need to turn on the charm went up. Others followed in suit, dancing around to the music. Luther felt she was slightly tense under his hold and he knew he made her nervous even though her expression told otherwise. “I believe this is the only way I get a chance to have you near.”

“It is one way to go about it.”

“Will we be going on that dinner anytime in the future?”

“I’ve been busy with things.”

“You are a hard one to crack Billie,” Luther states with a smirk. “Do I need to schedule two weeks in advance for this to happen?”

“I need to invest in a calendar ,” Billie comments.

“I agree with that need.”

Tony, Bruce, and Steve arrived at the bar filled with smiling faces and music. It was under Tony’s encouragement that Steve came along for the ride. He had seen the small drawings Steve had been doing that closely resembled Billie. Steve spotted Billie dancing with a man rather closely and it more or less angered him. Tony was quick to break from the pack and approach Billie to cut in on the dance.

“Mind if I cut in?”

“Tony? Hey you made it,” Billie smiles brightly as she dropped what she was doing to greet him with full attention. Tony swiftly took her hand to begin dancing while Luther gave him an irritated look reserved for when a child’s toy is taken away from them.

“Okay I brought Bruce along for the festivities,” Tony starts to say.

“That‘s great! I want to go say hi to him.”

“And I brought Steve.”

“Okay,” she responds in an elongated manner.

“Just making sure that’s okay.”

“It’s fine, I have nothing against him.”

“You two really just need to get a room,” Tony states causing Billie to shoot him a dirty look.

“Shut it Stark,” Billie retorts as she ‘accidentally’ stepped on his toe.

“Just saying. Great party by the way. Who‘s the pixie haired beauty near the bar?” Tony replies nodding his head in the direction of whom he spoke of.

“That’s Ariel my cousin and off limits.”

“What? Are you insinuating something Kinski?”

“Yes, I set you up with two ladies, I’m not going to have my lovely cousin be sloppy thirds.”

“Wasn’t my first rodeo,” Tony states.

“I was going to introduce her to Bruce anyways.”

“Really?”

“Yes, I think they’d make for a good pair,” Billie responds with finality.

“Will you be setting me up with anyone?” Tony questions.

“It’s crossed my mind but I think you fair well on your own. But when I do think of a suiting lady for you I will be match making things up for you.”

“Well aren’t you the kind one.”

“Yes well I have my moments.”

The song ended and the lead singer smiled out to the crowd then his eyes landed on Billie. He gestured for her to get onto the stage but she shook her head.

“Miss Billie, I believe it is time for that song and I just don’t think I can do it without you.”

“Yeah! Billie! Go Billie!” Katie yells from her spot at the bar. Billie shook her head at her friend.

“She won’t do it she’s chicken!” Tom adds with a cluck or two for emphasis.

“Think you might be right,” Tony eggs on as he nudged Billie. She let out a few curses under her breath before moving towards the stage. The crowd clapped and Billie gave her smile that read more of I know where you all live. Once on stage the singer held his hand out to her.

“My lady,” he says.

“Good sir.”

“Shall we?”

“I am very ready to butcher this song,” she mutters. The amount of nerves she felt was ridiculous and her hands shook. He smiled and turned to the crowd to talk into the microphone.

“There are someone of you that may know this song. It’s called ‘Home’, originally performed by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros,” he spoke as he tightened the strings of his guitar. Billie stood shifting awkwardly on the heels of her shoes. In her mind she had to repeatedly have to tell herself to remain calm. The signature whistling and strumming of the guitar brought her out of the affirmations and Johnny the lead singer looked at her to start.

Steve stared at her from the back of the room as the lyrics left her lips in a soft voice that had a slight rasp to it. He could hear the nerves in her voice but she pushed forward eventually getting better as the song went onwards. She smiled and laughed a little to shake off the whole situation. Her eyes lifted from the ground and locked with Steve’s blue eyes for a brief moment. She smiled at him and then looked back at Johnny whilst they continued singing. As the song drew to its end people clapped and Billie felt a great eal of relief. Johnny smiled at Billie.

“Well thank you for being such a great sport and for bringing us here for such a great party Miss Billie.”

“Very welcome.”

“Another round of applause for our hostess.”

“Wooooo Prima!!!!” Ariel yells.

“Slow down on the wine coolers Ariel,” Billie teases.

“Pinche Billie!”

Billie gave a laugh and descending from the stage getting cheers from her friends on the way to the bar. She approached her cousin who had four tequila shots ready for them to take. Ariel grinned wildly at her cousin, she had yet to see her drinking anything and she was determined to get her started. Billie looked at the tequila shots then to her pixie haired cousin.

“What’s this?”

“I’ve been waiting to drink tequila with you. We must participate in drinking our culture’s native alcohol.”

“I was going to introduce you to someone.”

“You can after we drink these.”

“Aurelia.”

“Billie,” Ariel counters.

“Fine,” she responds taking the small shot glass in her hand. Ariel did the same and they clinked glasses with smiles before downing the liquid that burned their throats. Quickly they went onto the next one and drank it swiftly. Billie took the slice of lime and sucked on the slice for flavor.

“So who’s the tall dark and handsome man with whom you were dancing with?”

“Hmm? Oh yeah just Luther, he works with Tom. Come now, I shall introduce you to some lovely people.”

“Ah let’s meet these people. I am very curious.”

Billie smiled and led her cousin towards where the trio stood. Bruce grinned at Billie while Tony gave a slow clap.

“Bravo Kinski, didn’t think you had it in you,” Tony teases lightly.

“You lot must be the lovely people I was to meet,” Ariel smiles, her dark brown eyes bright with life. She met eyes with Bruce Banner and stuck out her hand towards him. Although he was tentative he smiled back and shook her hand. “I’m Ariel, Billie’s cousin.”

“Bruce.”

“It’s good to meet you Bruce.”

“I’m Tony,” Tony adds.

“And I‘m Steve.”

“Bruce, Tony and Steve, okay got it,” she says before turning to Billie. “Mind if I stay over at your place tonight?”

“Reasons being?”

“Nora and Juan are being very Catholic since my mom didn‘t let her stay over at the house on account of my grandparents visiting and them think it‘s inappropriate.”

“Really? She did that?” Billie laughs.

“Yeah,” Ariel chuckles.

“You are free to stay at the place. Not having a roommate has its strong points,” she says.

“Gracias prima.”

“Hey Steve mind helping me with something?” Billie inquires.

“I don’t mind,” Steve spoke. Billie gestured for him to follow her as he was not filled in on her intentions for Ariel and Bruce. He followed her to the bar where she leaned on the wood in a casual manner. Steve stared at her wondering what he should say or do.

“So how have you been?”

“I’ve be alright. I heard you work with Stark Industries now,” Steve says.

“Yeah interning more or less. It’s nice. I‘m surprised to see you here.”

“Tony tends to play a heavy hand in these matters.”

“He wants everyone to have a good time,” Billie states with a small smile.

“This is a really nice party, and you sang really well,” he responds.

“Thanks, it was pretty mortifying to be honest. I don’t do performances or singing in front of people. Kind of unnerving really,” she rambles as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

“It didn’t seem like you were nervous if that is any consolation.”

“It is, thank you for coming along also. Maybe I can show you around my town this time.”

“I might take you up on that offer,” Steve says feeling a swell of pride grow within him. He was certain that she was flirting with him but he could have been wrong yet to him it didn’t matter somehow. Steve thought about her often even though he tried not to and now she was in front of him offering to give a tour of L.A. Billie smiled at him and decided maybe she could initiate the tour somehow. She hated how things ended last they had seen each other and wanted to make things right. She was feeling brave after her performance and she had to act upon it before it wore off.

“Tomorrow at noon sound good?” Billie replies.

“Yes ma’am.”

“We can meet at my place.”

“I’ll be there,” Steve answers. Billie felt giddy and she smiled at Steve. Giddiness turned to panic when he left her side and she realized how horribly under prepared she was to be giving someone she is attracted to a tour of Los Angeles.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you lot liked the update :)