Status: New

If Not for You

V.I.P.

Billie relaxed slightly when she saw Steve come into view. She nudged Bruce knowing that this wake up call was of some importance. The tall built man in the black trench coat looked around the room before going back to staring down at newly wakened Billie. Steve observed the scene only to feel a strange pang in his stomach while seeing her so comfortable with Bruce.

“I see you three had a party.”

“Just a few drinks, stories and movies,” Billie states before nudging Bruce again to wake him. Bruce mumbled incoherently before realizing his head lied upon her lap and he jolted up giving her an apologetic look.

“Sorry,” Bruce mumbles a little embarrassed.

“It’s fine, this fool up here took the whole couch,” she says raising her hand to flick Tony on the ear. He got up immediately clutching onto the pillow he held like it were some sort of shield. Billie chuckled lightly while the man accompanied by Steve cleared his throat. She got onto her feet and stuck her hand out to shake his hand. “Billie Kinski and you are?”

“Director Nick Fury. Came to see the status of your condition.”

“Okay that’s nice of you.”

“And since you are awake we’d like to do some tests to see what sorts of things are different about you.”

“Alright? What sort of tests?” Billie responds.

“The standard agility tests,” Director Fury answers as if it were simple. Billie gave a laugh before shaking her head.

“Agility? I frequently trip going up stairs and fall over while just standing still you really think I should be subject to agility testing?”

“So you are saying you have balance issues?”

“I have many issues, balance is one of them, hand eye coordination to be another,” she replies as she made gestures to make her point.

“You’re a real charmer, aren’t you Miss Kinski?” he responds looking at her as she gave a smile.

“I wouldn’t go that far. What exactly the director of?”

“The S.H.I.E.L.D. agency.”

“Oh yeah I’ve heard of you guys,” Billie states with a nod.

“You’ve heard of S.H.I.E.L.D. before?”

“Nope not at all,” she smiles cheekily. He shook his head at her and he placed his hands on his hips.

“Do you mind the whole testing thing?”

“I mind I just choose the battles wisely, let’s do the testing.”

“At least you’re honest,” Director Fury comments. She merely shrugged her shoulders and stretched out with a yawn.

“What are you going to have her do?” Bruce questions in a somewhat concerned manner as he fixed his glasses.

“Well you could always come over and observe, we just want to see what Miss Kinski can pull off.”

“Yeah let’s keep the audience down, I’m not all that great public things,” Billie responds somewhat nervously. She was gradually waking up mentally and the thought of an audience was unnerving, she knew she was out of shape or at least the last she checked she wasn‘t. Gradually after she washed the sleep from her eyes and brushed her teeth vigorously she went with Director Fury along with Bruce as well as Steve to the area where they wanted to test her. A red haired woman handed Billie some work out clothes to change into and she soon found herself wearing tight black gym outfit with tennis shoes. The room was padded much like a normal training room. At the center a fairly built man waited for Billie. Director Fury waited at the sidelines with Steve and Bruce.

When things started Director Fury told her to defend herself against Agent Clint Barton. It wasn’t an ideal situation for Billie being that she hadn’t even met the man before. He came at her without warning and Billie moved away from him. She jumped up onto a nearby bench.

“What are you a pacifist Kinski?”

“I thought you were going to have me running on a treadmill or something not fight someone,” Billie counters giving Director Fury a look. While she was distracted by his words, Agent Barton grabbed her from her spot on top of the bench. Billie didn’t like the idea of being man handled by him and she flashed back to an attack she experienced her first week in California. Those who saw her eyes, they saw a change in them before she flung her head backwards hitting Agent Barton in the face. She stepped onto his foot and wrestled her arm free to elbow him in the stomach. Afterwards she turned around to grab his hand while kicking in the back of his leg. His arm was thrust upwards to hinder his ability to move as he was now on his knees. Director Fury was impressed but soon Agent Barton got out of the compromising position by flipping Billie onto the matt. The motion both angered her and knocked the breath out of her. She was pinned onto the ground and Billie freed her left leg to kick Agent Barton in the back of the head. When she hit him she flipped the positions and pinned him onto the ground with such a force that it seemed to knock the breath out of the agent.

“I’m thinking you and Cap should go at it, might be a better match strength wise,” Director Fury comments. She let go of the compromised agent and stood up. “What do you think Cap?”

“I don’t think-”

“Come Cap afraid a girl is going to beat you up?” Tony responds while entering the room with a coffee. He handed the second coffee to Bruce. “What’d I miss?”

“Billie just beat Clint,” Bruce states taking the coffee in his hands.

“Probably wouldn‘t be able to knock down Cap,” Tony eggs on. Billie turned her gaze to Tony and gave him an annoyed look. Steve on the other hand was not comfortable with the idea of fighting Billie.

“Shut it Tony, we aren’t fighting, this isn’t standard agility testing so we’re doing something else.”

“Oh come on Billie you’re no fun.”

“I already feel bad about Agent Barton. Sorry if I hurt you by the way,” Billie says giving the man an apologetic look.

“It’s alright,” Clint waves off as he rubbed the back of his head.

“He’s used to getting attacked, don‘t worry about it,” Director Fury states. “Let’s do a few more tests.”

Billie moved with Director Fury and wondered what the hell else they wanted her to do. She wasn’t up for showing off because in her eyes that’s how she’d get stuck there. However whether she liked it or not, she had impressed the director from the strength tests to the timed mile. She hadn’t pushed herself in anyway shape or form, she just paced herself and even without pushing herself her timed mile had been cut in half since the last she run which was at an average eight minutes. They revealed the times to her only after all the tests were over.

“Now, as you probably already know, you’ve exceeded the tests. You are a very extraordinary woman Billie.”

“Spare the flattery what do you want from me?” she retorts in a hasty manner.

“I’m guessing you wouldn’t be interested in becoming a team member,” Director Fury comments.

“I mean no offense when I say this but there is no fucking way I am getting involved in this sort of work. I am finishing university, hopefully get a decent job and spend the next ten years paying off school loans,” Billie rants.

“I understand you want to finish school but this is a great opportunity for you to help others.”

“That’s your argument? Let me be clear sir, I don’t get swayed by the whole great opportunity argument.”

“You’re a very stuck in your ways aren’t you Miss Kinski?” Director Fury states.

“I’m sorry but this conversation is over. I am not joining your little agency. Just because my way isn’t your way doesn’t make it bad so back off.”

“Alright kid I get it, just know that you aren’t the same and you might as well utilize your abilities,” he says.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” she retorts in a sardonic manner. “Are we done here?”

“I believe we are.”

“Have a lovely day.”

She spoke those last words with a forced polite smile before walking off without even giving him a second look. It took a great deal for her to remain civil and walking away kept her from being angry she just wanted to be done with all of the questions. Bruce could understand her position, how it seemed no one would leave her alone or cease trying to convince her to be a team player to give up her life to the government. He knew better than most that she was feeling like a piece of meat to be used in wars she never knew about. Seeing so much of himself in her he decided maybe he was the better person to talk to her. Bruce caught up with Billie in the elevator and he saw her body trembling with anger. The doors shut and she remained gripping the rails as she stared at the floor.

“You can do whatever you want B, you don’t have to feel like you have to be in this line of work because you’re a little different.”

“How do I know it’s safe to be around the people I love? It’s like I’ve become angrier and it literally takes all my energy to keep calm,” she says in a shaky voice. Bruce pulled her into a hug and she took solace in the simple display of reassurance.

“I know it’s hard, it’s going to be hard to adjust but I know you can do it,” he spoke in a genuine tone. He had pulled away wiping away the tears that streamed down her cheeks. “Trust me it could be worse.”

“I know, I feel stupid for complaining especially when you have things so much harder. You push through it, I should be able to, but my worries and anger lie in how this will affect the ones I love.”

“I understand completely and I hope you know I support your decision to remain out of the agency.”

“Thank you for that. All I want is to go back to my life, I know I’m different now but I can’t just stop living my life because of some stupid mix up,” Billie responds.

“I wish I had your conviction B.”

“You have plenty conviction Bruce, you could have given up, holed yourself up in the Antarctic or something but you’re here trying to help.”

“It took a long way to get here,” Bruce comments while he gave an appreciative smile. “I bet Tony can get you home by tomorrow, he’s going back to California for some business.”

“Really?” she replies with hope filled eyes.

“Yeah, he’s a good guy he’ll get you home.”

She wanted to go back to her personal space and sleep in her own bed, wear her own clothes. In a time she felt less like herself she wanted to be surrounded by things and people who would remind her of who she was. It was so very exhausting for her and she appreciated having Bruce around because she felt as though he understood what she was going through. Bruce was simply put, a great person to have at her side in this time of confusion and change. Tony had met up with them in his living area and Bruce encouraged that Billie be taken home. It was something Tony couldn’t turn down, Billie was on edge and needed familiarity. By noon the next day they would leave New York City back to California. Until then Tony suggested a night out on the town, or his version of going out. Something mindless and fun was something she needed and after a long shower she got on a nice dress with some expensive high heels that had been brought in by Pepper Potts. Billie greatly appreciated the outfit, it was more her style and even Pepper guessed her love for leopard print heels. She kept in mind to get something for Pepper in the future to show her thanks. When she exited the room dressed ready for a night out, Tony was talking to Steve who had come up to see if everything was alright with Billie.

“Yeah she’s fine just getting ready to go out on the town one last time before we head to California tomorrow.”

“You’re taking her--” Steve began to speak but stopped upon seeing Billie step out of the room. Tony turned to look at Billie with a smile.

“You clean up nice,” Tony comments with a smile.

“Thanks, are you coming out with us Steve?” she replies looking at him.

“He is.”

“Great, where’s Bruce?” Billie smiles turning to look around for Bruce.

“Oh yeah he‘s meeting us there,” Tony states. She knew he wasn’t going to meet them there and the reason for his absence was because he didn’t feel comfortable with being in a crowd. Instead of saying anything she gave Tony a look that said not to patronize her. “I am going to take us out and you are going to experience the V.I.P. treatment.”

“Are we under the assumption I haven’t gotten the V.I.P. treatment before?”

“Are you admitting to your escapades with the famed rapper Jay Money?” he counters with a quirked eyebrow.

“You’re deranged,” she states shaking her head at him.

“Well come my lady, you have two escorts for the night.”

Billie let out a soft laugh and looked down briefly before looking back up smiling at the pair. The simple actions had Steve staring at her with adoration. He felt her smile was brighter than anything and it caused him to smile in response for it was contagious. Billie linked arms with Tony knowing that the night was likely to be a real shit show but she smiled regardless appreciating the effort. Steve accompanied the pair tempted to not go but was convinced to come along by Billie and Tony. It was a night that started at some exclusive club and as soon as Tony was spotted many had swarmed him wanting a piece of the action.
♠ ♠ ♠
This has been doing really well and I'm pretty happy that you lot like it. Love to hear from you lovely people. :) Enjoy.