Status: New

If Not for You

Dance

Tony wasn’t joking about the VIP treatment because they were escorted to the exclusive section where they would share drinks over incredibly loud repetitive music. The scene was most definitely not one Steve was comfortable in and Billie seemed to be humoring Tony even if the crowded place made her uneasy. After about twenty minutes of being seated Billie excused herself so that she could go to the restroom or rather hide in there.

She thought that by taking a breather she could refocus her center but of course she ran into someone that was having troubles. There was a young woman crying and being the kind of girl Billie was she stopped to cheer her up somehow. Billie gave a sympathetic look.

“Hey everything alright?”

“I’ve been in here for twenty minutes and not one person has asked me that,” she spoke between sniffles.

“Oh well that’s because I hadn’t come in yet,” Billie says attempting at a joke. She went to grab some tissues from the counter for the woman and handed it over with a reassuring smile.

“I just got dumped.”

“That’s their loss, now wipe those tears away, take a deep breath and come with me.”

She nodded and dabbed the tissue under her eyes to wipe the running mascara away. The woman took a deep breath and gave a feeble smile at Billie. They left the bathroom and Billie led the heartbroken gal back with her to the VIP section. Steve saw Billie approaching the area with a pretty dark haired woman whose dark eyes were slightly red and puffy. Regardless a lovely looking woman and Billie smiled at both her friends.

“Billie who is your lovely friend?” Tony questions.

“I’m Danielle,” the woman replies making Billie realize she had forgotten introductions.

“Danielle is going to be joining us,” Billie smiles. “This is Steve and Tony.”

“Nice to meet you ma’am,” Steve says politely. Billie sat next to Steve while Danielle took a spot on the other side of her. The night continued and Billie managed to cheer up her new friend. But as the night continued and Tony’s advances were denied, Tony began to realize that the woman was more interested in Billie. There were a few moments when Billie got a vibe from Danielle but she pushed it aside. One moment that made it obvious was when Danielle put her hand on Billie’s knee laughing at a story. Billie felt a pair of eyes watching her every move only to meet the gaze of an angry red haired woman. She turned her attention back to Danielle and felt the woman move her hand to play with Billie’s hair.

“Any one ever tell you that you have a very innocent and reserved quality to you?” Danielle questions looking at her soft features.

“Um, you‘re a very lovely woman but I‘m not really interested,” Billie replies.

“You’ve never been with a woman before have you?”

“I don’t really talk about my private life. But I lean more towards men, not that I can’t appreciate the fact you have fantastic bone structure. I just don’t like being pursued as a means of getting back at someone else,” she responds honestly. “Besides, I‘m pretty sure they are interested in getting you back now.”

“Who?”

“Your ex-girlfriend, the red head that looks like she wants to murder me.”

“I’m really sorry, I didn’t mean to-” Danielle began spoke but Billie held her hand out with a smile.

“Don’t worry about it, go talk to the lady,” she encourages. Danielle smiled at her and patted her shoulder.

“Thank you.”

Without another word she got up and left the area leaving Tony as well as Steve to look at Billie expectantly. Billie merely took a sip of her drink and leaned back into the seat. Tony grinned wildly and nudged her wiggling his eyebrows at her.

“So there’s a possibility that you like-”

“I’m going to stop you right there, Tony, I am not going to fulfill your male fantasy by indulging in any conversations about my sexuality or the fact women seem to mistake my friendly and engaging nature as flirtations. Got it?” Billie says all at once.

“Loud and clear,” Tony says looking disappointed.

“That woman likes women?” Steve responds apparently letting the whole encounter seep in his mind.

“Yes Steve, she likes other women.”

“I thought she was acting overly affectionate towards you,” he comments.

“Yeah well recently single people are my demographic, I think it’s because I’m good at cheering people up conversation-wise which makes me great rebound material,” she says with a shrug.

“That doesn’t sound very fulfilling for you.”

“I‘m not concerned about it, I have no business being in a romantic relationship anyways.”

“Besides being single is great,” Tony adds looking at the array of women giving him the eye. He was incredibly distracted when a pair of women seemed intent on getting his attentions by extreme behavior. Of course he allowed them into the area and one sat on his lap while the other wedged herself in between Tony and Billie. Soon Billie was shoved into Steve in an uncomfortable manner where she was pressed against his side with their faces nearly touching.

“You wouldn’t happen to know another place to go to that isn’t like this?” Billie questions having grown sick of the club. She was a pub kind of girl not the type to go raving or what was considered dancing. Steve nodded unable to properly speak when she was so close. Billie smiled and pushed herself out of the seat. “Treat him well ladies.”

“You’re not joining us?” one of the ladies replies. Tony raised his eyebrows suggesting that he would be interested in such an idea. Billie gave a chuckle.

“I don’t play doubles, but be safe,” Billie says patting Tony on the shoulder. She turned to leave with Steve causing a smirk to grow on Tony’s face. It was a struggle to get out of the crowded club but eventually the pair made it onto the sidewalk. Billie stuck her arms out and twirled around with a smile. “This is already better.”

“If you didn’t like those sorts of places then why’d you agree to go?” Steve questions.

“Tony put effort into going here, the least I can do is humor him until I had those two ladies keep him busy.”

“Wait you planned that?” he responds.

“I may have talked them, although there wasn’t a whole lot of convincing to do. I even checked their ids to be sure they were of age, if I am going to set my friends up with people I have to make sure those said people are of legal age,” she smiles proudly.

“That‘s strangely considerate.”

“Thank you.”

“I know this place it’s a few blocks away, it’s more of a pub if you don’t mind going,” Steve states.

“Actually that sounds great,” Billie answers with a bright smile. Steve nodded and they began heading towards the pub he spoke of. When they arrived a band was playing some smooth jazz. It was an older crowd and barely even at a fourth of its capacity with the band included. He led her to his usual table and the bartender gave a wave at Steve. Billie’s smile grew as she looked around the place appreciating how classic it was. As Billie watched the musicians playing a set reminiscent of the old jazz one would hear play during the Harlem Renaissance. It made her smile and relax as she watched the musicians play their instruments. When they began to play Minnie the Moocher she just about died and her chest welled up with excitement.

“You know the song?” Steve questions.

“Minnie the Moocher by Cab Calloway and his Orchestra released 1931. Granted its mostly about drugs and death it has a dark alluring quality.”

“You sure like music don’t you?”

“The good kind anyways,” she smiles. The band continued to play and the song ended. It was the older man on the saxophone that smiled at Billie.

“What would you like to hear pretty lady?”

“Hmm, how about some Sidney Bechet? Perhaps Mood Indigo?”

“Young woman you have made my night by actually knowing something good to request,” the man states with a bright smile. “Let’s play this gal some Mood Indigo and you son best ask her to dance.”

The band began to play and Steve grew nervous but stood up anyways to hold his hand out to Billie. For a moment she was confused then she took his hand to be led to the cleared dance floor. They were both equally awkward and tried to figure out the whole dancing aspect. Billie realized Steve was struggling as well and she gave a chuckle.

“I’m no good at formal ballroom dance so how about we just sort of shuffle from side to side?” Billie suggests.

“I’m no good at dancing in general,” he admits with an embarrassed smile.

“It’s alright, just don’t think too much about it. How about them Yankees?”

Steve couldn’t help but laugh lightly as they moved along to the beat. Before they knew it they were dancing and it was a bit quiet conversation wise but Steve couldn‘t help looking down at her. He wished she wouldn’t go back to California so soon. Of course he understood her reasons, it was the same reason he stayed in New York City. It was a way of clinging onto the familiar in an undesirable situation.

“So you’re leaving tomorrow,” he found himself saying.

“I’ve been gone for too long already. Missing two weeks worth of classes and work can‘t be good.”

“Probably not.”

“It’s a shame really that I have to leave, I finally get to the big city only to have two days to actually be conscious in it,” she comments half joking half lamenting over the statement.

“You could always come back,” Steve suggests with hope in his eyes.

“That is always true,” Billie says with a feeble attempt at a smile. Her mind went to all the work she was going to have to do in order to catch up with all of her classes. All the groveling and ass kissing she was going to do so that her professors don’t fail her for missing lectures. It was going to be absolutely dreadful. Not to mention she was going to have to find another job to support herself. A sigh escaped her lips, thinking about the fact she would have to give up the new men in her life. More specifically the one that was currently stealing her breath away from sheer loveliness. Steve sensed that she was dubious that she would ever make it back to New York City and it made him a little sad knowing the likelihood of her coming back was slim. “So tell me about yourself.”

“What would you like to know?”

“Hmm, what do you like?” Billie says rather vaguely. She looked up with an embarrassed smile. “I mean just little things that you take joy in. Like for example, I like roasting marshmallows on my gas stove and collecting glass bottles.”

“You collect bottles?” Steve smiles.

“Mhmm, now your turn.”

“Well I suppose riding around on a motorcycle and apple pie are some things I like.”

“Both things worthy of liking, I mean who doesn‘t enjoy cruising down the highway on a Harley Davidson,” she responds with a big smile. “There really isn’t anything more American than that.”

“What can I say? I’m an American,” he jokes.

“Really? Here I thought you were Canadian.”

“You’re a real joker.”

“I have my moments,” Billie states unable to stop smiling. They were dancing very close at this point and the nerves sort of just slipped away. As the night continued onwards they talked, laughed, and listened to the jazz band. After the bar Steve decided to give her a very short tour of New York City, being sure to show her Times Square, the Brooklyn Bridge and a view of the Statue of Liberty. There weren’t words to explain how much Billie appreciated the tour. It only added to her regretting that she had to leave. Steve enjoyed showing her around, it was his town after all even if it had changed greatly since his time. During the ride back to Stark Tower there was an unspoken tension, an attraction they had managed to refrain from acting upon the entire night. The sun had risen peeking through the forest of skyscrapers as they headed towards their destination. It was quiet when they walked to the entrance of the building and once inside Steve stopped at the elevator Billie was to take. He wasn’t sure how to properly say goodbye to her, especially after the night they had.

“Thanks for the lovely night Steve.”

“It’s been great knowing you,” Steve states sticking out his hand to shake hers. Billie remained polite and shook his hand even if she would have rather given him a hug or a kiss. Internally Steve yelled at himself for even shaking her hand like an idiot.

“Likewise. Well uh have a good day,” Billie responds now feeling his awkwardness rub off on herself. Yet all the while they continued shaking hands. She let go of his hand deciding it was best to nip things in the bud considering the distance and different lives they had led. The elevator door opened and she stepped inside. Steve stood watching as she pressed the button and lean against the wall. She smiled and waved at Steve. “Bye Steve.”

“Goodbye Billie.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Already had this written and I wanted to reward all the new subscribers this story has garnered. Thank you lovely people! You are splendid!