Doctors and Dresses

A God Named Harry

Harry sat at a rounded table closest to the stage. With him were various charity heads and other important representatives from the hospital. They smiled towards him, the presence of a prince at a fundraiser gave great publicity. As a result of his attendance the hospital had already surpassed their goal of what to raise.

It was nearing the end of the night. The speeches were made, including his, and the pictures were taken. Parents were estactic about the improvements that were to be made shortly. Their happiness spread through the ball room easily, and Harry himself felt giddy, even though he consumed no alcohol.

“Ladies and gentleman we have a special treat tonight. A representative from Mayfield Medical Corporation is with us tonight. Please give a warm welcome to Ms. Francine Mayfield!” The announcer exited the stage after inciting the applause. Harry clapped not expecting much.

Francine heard her name, and flattened her dress. It was cadet blue, her favorite color. Fastened by a gold metal belt at the waist, the long skirt flowed freely with a short train at the end. The bodice was embroidered with an exquisite design. The dress was off the shoulder, and the sleeves ended at the elbows. From there was a light cadet blue mesh that went to her wrists that ended with an embroidered design. With her tall matching shoes Francine set out to represent her father and his business.

The lights shining on the stage made it easier to give her speech. Francine was taught the ways of public etiquette since her exit from the womb. She walked out from behind the curtain and flashed a smile. Walking up to the podium she saw the cue cards the presenter left behind for her. Since it was originally her father who was supposed to be here, she had no idea what was in the speech. Standing at the foot of the stage she started with a simple greeting:

“Hi.” The audience chuckled. “Sorry to disappoint. As you can see, I’m definitely not my father. But I can be just as charming!” They also laughed at that. “So let me start by commending this hospital. I’ve never been to a medical facility where I wasn’t trembling on the inside. The way that this place feels so similar to a home, I can only imagine how much comfort that must be for the patients and their families during a difficult time.” She smiled again, and looked at the cards. She scanned them quickly while counting the seconds that past. At five she spoke again, “I am pleased to be here tonight. Seeing the smiles on all the families and medical staff warms my heart in a way that only occurs in the presence of my family.

“If I have learned anything during my short life, it has to be that of how important family is, and furthermore comfort. And so that is why I am presenting Great Ormond Street Hospital with €10,000,” There were gasps and applause throughout the room. “This way the hospital can update the children’s ward to promote family comfort while the child is staying. I hope the money can be put to good use, and the families are pleased with what the hospital has done. And, that our relationship with the hospital remains positive. Thank you again for inviting me tonight, and thank you for all your service to the children.” Francine showed one last smile, she waved into the light and walked off. As soon as she was behind the curtain her father’s publicist, Ron, walked up to her.

“Frannie, you did excellent. Your tone was where it should have, and your dress is the image of royalty. That’s what we wanted to see tonight.”

“Royalty?”

“Yes,” He replied tapping away on his phone, “Prince Harry is here tonight. He gave his speech before dinner while you were still on the plane.” Ron started walking away, “I’ll give you one hour to make your rounds, and then we jet off to Italy to meet up with your family and the opening of that teaching hospital. They expect day dress.” Francine nodded. Even when it was called a family vacation, her father still had them booked to meet with a hospital or charity. This time the women of the family were off for a day to go to the opening for a teaching hospital that specializes on women.

Ron looked over expecting her to be off in the crowd already. Francine smiled and walked off. She grabbed a glass of champagne to sip on during the hour.

Harry was amazed by the speech. Its message was simple, but her voice was sincere. He could tell by the way she read the speech and delivered to the audience that she loved what the business stood for. The talk of the crowd was disappointed that her father, John Mayfield, couldn’t be here. However they were blissfully surprised at his youngest daughter’s substitution.

From afar he could see her signature blue dress. It sparkled in the light, and grabbed enough attention without being gaudy. She conversed with multiple hospital dignitaries. They all were smiling and laughing, yet the conversation seemed incredibly serious. After that she met with a family that spoke earlier that evening. He could see that she talked about their experience and asked about their night. The mother she was talking to started to say goodbye and Francine gently placed her hand on the mother’s shoulder. It reminded him of his mother instantly. Then she turned and walked her way towards him. Harry quickly adjusted his bow tie, and walked toward her.

“Ms. Mayfield it’s a pleasure to meet you.” He shook her hand as she curtsied, “There’s no need for that. I should be bowing to you! What you donated to the hospital, that’s amazing.”

Her smiled brightened. “Honestly, I didn’t even know how much we were donating tonight. My dad is huge on comfort and family, and he’ll do anything to improve the conditions of a hospital or a home.” She shook her head, “But hey, I’m in the presence of a charity God!”

Harry smiled, happy that the conversation became lighter. “A God? I doubt it.”

“Oh come on!” She playfully pushed his shoulder, “You started a charity and you do so much more. Not to mention you kind of went to the front line. If that was me I’d shoot anything that made a noise or moved.” She raised her eye brows and shook her head, “Harry you’re a force not to be meddled with. Bask in your holy greatness!” She raised her hands in the air jokingly. Harry couldn’t help but fall into a fit of giggles. This Francine girl was funny and lighthearted, and quite classy. She was also attractive. Her dirty blond hair was curled and ended at her collarbones. Her eyes were a light shade of green, and were accompanied by a blue eyeliner. Her lips were a light rose, and her makeup looked natural and her long dropping silver earrings shook whenever she moved.

When she turned her head that was the first time he noticed a handsome man whisper in her ear. Her mouth formed a tight grin, and she looked to Harry. She smiled and excused herself.

“It was really nice to talk to a God. Especially a God named Harry. Not so often I do that.” She rubbed his upper arm and walked off into the crowd. Harry watched her go, impressed with her confidence and flawless attitude.

Ron looked over to Francine, “I think you charmed the prince.”

She shot him a questionable look, “What were you drinking in there Ron! That’s doubtful. Besides, I’m sure he’s already shagging a girl.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The first chapter. Hope you like it! If so, there will be more.

Francine's Dress

Francine's Hair and Make-up