Doctors and Dresses

Welcome to the Cape

The sandy ground of South Africa was a far cry from the vineyards of Italy or the rain of England. Although Harry had spent time here before, the landscape never ceases to amaze him. It was Francine that was technically new to the area.

The way things worked out will have the two talking about it for years to come. Francine left the vacation she had with her family early. She traveled to Cape Town the last week of July and began volunteering. Her time spent nailing planks of wood to form wall structures, and entertaining the children of the tribe that was an hour away from the actual town. She fed them, taught them some english and played with them. By her third week she was the go-to person on the project. Fellow volunteers sought her out when they had questions, and she became in charge of the onsite orientation.

Harry arrived, along with fourteen others, at the start of Francine’s third week. He just didn’t know that. When he arrived onsite, he was pleasantly surprised.

The van parked and everyone walked out. The light was blinding, and the heat came onto them like a wave. The tribe was small, all the buildings were lined up in a semicircle against a small stream. Harry could see where the construction has reached and where it hasn’t. The public buildings were renovated first. They had the newest wood, whereas the huts were made out of straw and long grass. There was no well, and Harry knew that the stream wasn’t just used for drinking.

Graciously a group of four walked over to them with clipboards. One of the males explained that they were going to take attendance and then be toured by one of the veterans of the pack. Luckily, when Harry’s named was called there was no gasps from the crowd. From what he’s been told, everyone that has to know, knows, that he is working. As far as he, and the organization are concerned, Harry is strictly an average Joe. With the exception of two Royal Protection Officers by his side at all times.

“Alright everybody!” He couldn’t see the face to the voice, but it was familiar. It was authoritative yet comforting. “My name’s Francine,” Harry lit up when he heard her say her name. He maneuvered himself around the crowd to get a good look of her, “And we’re going to first go into the First Aide building.”

The group followed as she took off. She gave a wink to someone, and somehow Harry knew it wasn’t for the entire group, or him.

They stepped inside the small building, it had four walls. And there were three bassinets and three cots. There were shelves on the walls filled with medical supplies and mosquito nets.

“This is where everyone in the town will go for medical purposes. Obviously, it’s not meant to accommodate a large group. It’s completely free, and for the some of the year there should be a team down here. Hopefully one day we’ll get the money necessary to expand here, and start projects elsewhere.” She turned around and smiled, “So tell those rich folk to donate!” Her normal British accent was replaced by a country Western one. The group roared with laughter. Eventually when they all settled down she led them to more buildings.

The tour lasted the better half of an hour. When they reached the last public building Francine explained how they were phasing into the housing part of the mission. But they were going to build an orphanage first. She led them behind a rounded hut, and a little girl was sleeping in spare straw. She had dark skin, braided hair in corn rows, and just a plain orange cloth around her body.

The little girl woke up when she saw the group. Even though Francine didn’t let it on, she was so relieved that the girl made it through the night. Every time they say goodbye, she fears it might be the last time she sees her. Francine picked her up and tickled her.

“Say name?” Francine asked in a slow voice.

“Imani.” She said weakly. Francine wore the biggest smile, and it made Harry smile too.

“Guys, this is Imani. She and I are special friends,” Francine snuggled her against her chest. “She has no parents. They both passed due to an infection from the stream. Here families take claim to the water before anyone else, and since Imani is just one small girl, she has to wait for the water if anyone else is using it. Plus she has to catch and prepare her own meals even though she has no where to live.” She kissed Imani’s head as the girl snuggled up more.

Francine took this time to survey the crowd. She saw her friends in the back, and looking it over some more she could have sworn she saw red hair. But she was at seven seconds now and decided to move on.

The group made it back to the main construction area. There the other three volunteers took over to assign supplies and jobs. Francine put Imani down and ran to her friends. She was very elated to see them. Even though she adores charity work, she adores her friends more.

Francine ran past Harry and into the arms of another guy. Which at first startled him. He thought her boyfriend was the guy he saw at the Ormond Hospital event, but he concluded that he was mistaken. That would be the only explanation. The guy was taller than her, with dark hair muscular arms and a beard. He picked her up in a hug and started rocking. Next to the guy was a shorter girl. She had dark red hair and wore Oxford crew tee-shirts and shorts. She made a comment and the three of them laughed. Francine was put down and she went to hug the other girl.

A few people approached Harry to tell them how pleased they were for him to be here. He accepted their bows with a smile, but informed them that they didn’t have to do that. He doesn’t really feel worthy of a bow - something that he does to his grandfather, Prince Philip. Now that man deserves a bow, Harry thought.

Then he saw Francine walk towards him. She had directed her friends to their jobs and started her pursuit his way. She was happy that he was here, their previous conversation had been too short and she hoped to improve that. As she approached Harry noticed some differences from their last meeting, which was now nearly two months ago. Francine was tanner now, and her hair was longer and less groomed. She didn’t wear any make-up, and wore a bright tank-top, tan bermuda shorts and sneakers.

Her grin went up to her ears, “You’re here!”

“Well, why wouldn’t I? I am a charity God.”

She flashed him a coy look, “Right, right. So how long will you grace us with your presence, oh holy one?”

“A little less than a week.”

“Only a week!” She looked at him with disbelief. Harry was known for his charity work, and somehow she thought with him being here he would stay a whole shift - a full two weeks.

“Yeah, I’ve got to get back for military training.”

“Where’s that?”

“Suffolk.”

“Oh, that’s only three hours from my school. I can road trip it too you, if your holiness allows.”

“I wouldn’t complain. Where do you go?”

“Oxford, pre-law and I’m a junior.”

Harry grinned, “I didn’t think I asked for the rest of the information.”

“Yeah, but you would have. So I beat you to it.”

“Well, that’s awfully rude.”

“In what world? Oh, are you a sore loser?”

“Am not!”

Francine was laughing beside herself, “You are! You really are!” Her smile started to grow, and it somehow ended up on his face as well.

“Well, I could beat you in any sport. You name it.”

“Doubt it. Okay let me think-”

“Frannie!” Francine turned to the voice. It was Dakota, she was running to her with Imani in her arms.

“Frannie?” Harry asked.

“Shush.”

When Dakota saw who it is, she couldn’t believe it. Even though she was American, her entire educational career was spent in Europe. She’d have to be daft not to notice the most eligible bachelor is only a meter away from her.

“Uh, hi.” She said awkwardly.

“Fitz, don’t be impressed. He’s just a sore loser.”

“What ever happened to me being a god?”

“A god?”

“God?” Imani spoke, her one word was heavily accented. She pointed to Harry.

“No, no! Harry no god. Harry friend.” Francine again spoke slow and acted the words out. She didn’t know Imani’s mother tongue, and the organization said that the tribe should try to learn some english for when they need medical assistance and only an english speaking doctor is attending.

Francine took Imani in her arms and threw her up in the air. The little girl went into a fit of giggles. Harry watched in awe as she flawlessly handled being with a child. When Francine put her down she ran off towards the site.

“Where’s she going?” Harry questioned.

“To entertain the workers.”

“Entertain?”

“Yeah she dances for us.” She looked over at Dakota who was hovering at the edge of this conversation. “Dakota,” She said slyly pulling her back in, “This is Harry. Former god, now sore loser. Harry this is Dakota, or as I call her, Fitz.”

“Fitz?”

“Yeah,” Dakota spoke up, “My last name is Fitzsimmons, but Frannie over there just started to call me Fitz one random day.”

Francine jokingly scoffed, “The same day that you started calling me Frannie!”

“But you liked it!”

“Same with yours.”

Harry didn’t know how they did it. It sounded like they were going to fight, but instead Francine brought Dakota into a sudden hug.

“God, holiday sucks without you. It’s a damn shame that in two months we start Michaelmas.”

“Don’t say the devils name,” she responded with a completely serious face. Two seconds later that facade was broken and they were laughing.

“So...” Harry started, “How’d you two meet?”

They each smiled, but Francine was the first to respond, “We bunked together during first grade and every year since.”

“Bunked together?”

“Yeah,” Dakota said, “We went to the same boarding school.”

“Where? Anywhere in England?”

“No, we both met and stayed in France for awhile. We had school at Notre Dame International.”

“Horrible rooms, but a brilliant time.” Francine recalled. Then she looked up and noticed everyone was settled into their jobs and were hard at work, “Okay you punks,” She brought them both into a headlock, “Time to get working. Oh, and by the way, welcome to the Cape.”
♠ ♠ ♠
*Disclaimer: I have minimal knowledge on that of Cape Town, Africa. The tribe, which will be mentioned in this chapter and referred to in future chapters, is completely and entirely fictional. It is in no way modeled to be a real tribe, it is just a mere figment of my imagination. If in any way that my descriptions of this fictitious tribe and their surroundings/people offended you or your culture, I sincerely apologize. Offending a culture was in no way my intention.*

On a lighter note, I enjoyed writing this chapter. It was a little harder to publish this chapter as it essentially the catalyst to the entire story. Hopefully it as enjoyable to read as it was to write. Please, please, please don't be afraid to talk to me. I'm very friendly and I like typing so I don't mind. At all. Tell what I'm doing wrong, and I'll do my best to correct it. Gracias, adiós.