Doctors and Dresses

The Little Things Matter Too

The call she had with Harry the night prior was still fresh in her mind. The conversation seemed to flow effortlessly, they only time the conversation lagged was when they had ti hang up. Afterwards, Francine made her way downstairs. At that point the countertops were littered with snacks. Dakota, whilst leaning over the counter, stared at her with wide eyes.

“So!” She squeaked.

“So what?”

“You just spent an hour talking to him! Tell me about it!”

“There’s nothing to say, all we did was talk about the foundation.”

Dakota jumped up and down in frustration, “Come on, that wasn’t the only thing you talked about. Tell me! I’ll keep it secret. But seriously, was his voice sexy-”

“A sexy voice? Do tell, Frannie.” Out of the corner of the room stood her dad. He dropped his bags in the entryway and as a result Dina sighed loudly.

“John, your bags don’t belong there.”

“And my daughter doesn’t belong on the other side of the room!” He rushed over to his youngest and enveloped her into a hug. “I missed you so much. How was Cape Town?”

“It was great. I feel like I really made a difference, you know? Working hands on with people. It’s just-like, a really great feeling.” She smiled up at her dad.

“And Dakota!” He turned his attention to the long time friend, “I’m so happy you could join us for the remainder of the summer break. How’s your family?”

Dakota smiled and hugged him. “Great. They really appreciate you letting me and Jacob stay. It’s really helping their wallets out.”

“I can only imagine how expensive it is to fly from England to Ohio to Africa! It must have cost your parents a fortune.”

“Only a small one,” She laughed.

“And Jacob,” John shifted his attention to the newest of the bunch, “How have you been?” They both shook hands.

“Pretty well actually.”

“Have you seen your parents at all this summer?”

He shook his head, “No. I mean, I moved my stuff in from the dorms after school, but then it was a straight shot to Dakota’s place. I haven’t stepped foot on English soil since the week after school, actually.” He sighed, “But I’ll see them for two weeks before school. This way I get my annual dose of my mum’s homemade cooking.”

“A mum’s cooking is always the best cooking,” Dina, who disappeared to put her husband’s bags away reappeared, “John, how was your flight?” She kissed him briefly on the lips, and lingered for a hug.

“Good, and you, my dear? How have you been?”

“Just holding down fort. The girls will be coming in next week. Everyone will be in for Patricia’s birthday.”

“I just can’t believe that little girl is already twenty-nine. Just yesterday she was learning how to ride a bike.”

“I know! It’s shocking. Our little girls are all grown up.” Dina shot a smile at Francine, “One even met a prince in Africa.”

“Who did what now?” He tried to say in a New York accent.

“Frannie met Prince Harry in Africa. She actually just got off the phone with him before you came rushing in.”

“Well, she is a princess.” He said adoringly.

“I’ll second that!” Dakota rose her hand jokingly.

“Should we be expecting him for Patricia’s birthday?” Dina asked, making a mental note to remember to set out one more place setting that day.

“What?” Francine asked bewildered, “No! We just met, and our,” She swung her arms around wildly, “Relationship-”

“She said relationship!” Jacob pipped up.

Francine shot him a look, “What ever Harry and I have, or don’t have, is strictly platonic. Business like. Professional. We’re going to start a fundraising charity for Cape Town.”

“That sounds wonderful,” Her mother chimed.

“Doesn’t he already have Sentebale?” John asked.

“I mean, I guess, but that shouldn’t matter,” Francine replied.

John held up his hands in defense, “I’m not criticizing! I just want to make sure before I compliment him on the work that charity does. Truly life changing.”

“Darling,” Dina butt in, anxious to change the topic of conversation to dinner before stomachs started growling, “What would you like for supper?”

--------------------------------

The next morning Francine woke up to the smell of pancakes. A true delicacy in the Mayfield household. The legend has it, that when her parents both moved in together, the only thing Dina could make was pancakes. After they got sick of the same plain tasting kind, she would make up crazy concoctions that always tasted good together.

Francine walked over to the bathroom and put in her contacts. She made her way downstairs where her mother was whipping up a pancake storm.

“Good morning, Mum!” Francine’s voice croaked, not quite warmed up from all the sleep she got last night.

“Morning, Sweetie.” She turned around and gave her daughter a quick kiss. “Grab some fruit, will you? I want to get something fresh in that tummy of yours after spending five weeks eating cafeteria food.”

Francine grabbed a piece of watermelon. “What’s on the menu today?”

Dina smiled to herself, “Well quite a lot actually. I know Jacob is a fan of chocolate chip pancakes, I made Miss Fitz some peach ones, and those of us who have blind faith in what I come with--drum roll please.” Francine drummed on the countertop, “We have chocolate pancakes with peanut butter chips.”

“Sounds delicious.”

“Amen!” She flipped the pancakes that were on the stove, “Now tell me, how have you been? No holding out on me.”

Francine knew that her mother was close with all of her kids. But a special bond was made between the two them. The closest sibling she has in age is Patricia, but she is still a good six years older. So growing up, the house was empty because they were all away for school. Especially when it came to college and some went to America for school, other in Scotland, Madrid, the list goes on. It was then that Francine became truly close to her mother. They talked about everything in her life it seemed. Including the times she boomed tests because she couldn’t study anymore, or the times that she sneaked off campus for a filming of The Notebook. And when she had her first boyfriend, nothing was off limits. It was a comfort for Francine, to have such an insightful and understanding mother in her life. She couldn’t imagine her parents any other way.

“Well, not much.”

Dina spun around, “Oh honey, there is never not much going on in your life. The little things matter too. Especially the things that make you smile.”

“You make me smile, Mum.”

She blushed, “What else, Sweetie?”

“Um, my conversation with Harry.”

Dina eyebrow’s raised, but she turned to face the pancakes she Francine wouldn’t see, “And why is that?”

“He’s sweet. He really is. Harry knows how to charm people, and I bet he doesn’t even realize it. I think he also vastly underestimates his impact on things.”

“Does he make you smile?”

She had to pause for a second thinking about. From the moment she met him, as awkward and rough their conversations were, she smiled each and every time they talked. “Yeah, a lot, actually.”

Dina nodded, “What else made you smile this summer?” As any mother would know, every child has a limit. That limit before the kid will shut down and start a tantrum. A limit of how far they’ll tolerate something, and Dina suspected that Francine reached that limit.

“Seeing Imani in Africa. She’s incredibly sweet, and so innocent.”

“She sounds adorable.”

“Oh, trust me. She puts on performances everyday without fail. She just dances and jumps around, with no music may I add!”

Dina’s laughed thundered in the silent kitchen.

“What’s so funny around here and why don’t I know about it?” John came into the kitchen, spotted the stakes of pancakes, and kissed his wife. “Good morning, Babe.”

She smiled in his embrace, “Good morning. How’d you sleep?”

“Wonderfully. No bed is comfier in the world than ours.”

Dina playfully slapped him, “Oh, stop! I know you’re just charming me for some extra pancakes.”

“That may or may not be my objective but-”

“Go ahead, dig in. I have a feeling that the two young birds won’t wake up for awhile.”

“Ah,” Her father sighed, “To be young and in love.”

“To be young!” She exclaimed while throwing a bit of whip cream towards her husband.

“You guys, some of us were trying to sleep!” Dakota stepped into the kitchen carried by Jacob. The gave each other a look and laughed, “But on account that I smell peach pancakes, all is forgiven.”

“I’ll second that, because I smell chocolate chip.” Jacob placed his girlfriend down on the counter. She leaned over and threw an apple in her mouth. She moaned in pleasure.

“Hey now,” Jacob leaned in, “this is not the place for that sound.”

“Oh, ew!” Francine shook her head, “There is never a place for that kind of noise.”

“What can I say, fresh apples taste so good after eating stale waffles for two weeks.” She took another bite, “Frannie I don’t know how you ate that food for five weeks.”

“It was all worth it for the people like Imani.” Francine replied.

Jacob awed, “I loved that girl. I wonder if she’s still putting up performances.”

“I doubt that she’ll ever stop. Give her ten years, she’ll be in the London Ballet.” Francine would put money on it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am truly sorry that I let it get to be this long without updating. So much time has elapsed since I last posted, and I'm so sorry. And even though this chapter is Harry-less, hopefully you guys will see how important Francine's family is to her. That was the point of this. Again, I'm so sorry and hopefully you liked it.