River Rat

Out the Window

A awoke with a start, suddenly aware of my surroundings. I was curled against Ethan, with him still asleep. I jumped up and out of the bed immediately, accidentally hitting Ethan's face as I did so.

"What's going on?" he asked groggily, looking around and finally seeing me. "Oh shit," he had time to say before I exploded.

"Get the hell out of my room!" I screamed, appalled at last night's behavior. I told myself I wasn't going to get close to anyone, yet here I was, sleeping in the same bed as Ethan. Not to mention he was still a stranger to me.

Ethan didn't wait to be told twice. He got up quickly and had barely gotten his foot out of the door when I slammed it. I felt like crying all over again. What had I done? How could I be so incredibly stupid? He was a boy. A boy my age, no less. That was trouble. He could leave easier than mom could and I couldn't do anything about it.

"God dammit," I muttered under my breath, kicking anything that was on the floor.

"I was just trying to help," I heard Ethan call through the door, making me angrier.

"Shut the hell up!" I yelled at him, landing hard on my bed and checking the time. It was seven in the morning, time to get up anyway. I cursed heavily under my breath and got up to change out of yesterday's clothes.

When I opened my door, Ethan was still standing there. Right in my way.

"Move," I said forcefully, but he didn't budge. "Get out of my way!" I tried again.

"Nope," he replied, the smirk back. "Not until you promise me something."

"What?" I cried desperately, just wanting to get out of my room and get some food.

"Just try to be my friend." At this, I turned around back into my room, leaving the door open for him. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"Climbing out the window."

"Oh, come on, Melissa," Ethan sighed, getting in front of me to block the windows. "Could being my friend really be that bad?"

"Yes," I said simply, not moving a muscle.

"What are you so afraid of?"

"Of losing you." I didn't realize what I'd said until after it was out. Suddenly, I was shaking my head and taking it back. "That's not what I meant," I had begun to say but Ethan was already grinning from ear to ear.

"I'm taking that as an okay to try to be your friend," he warned before slipping out of my room, winking at me before heading down the hall.

What had I just done?