Sequel: Dark Intent
Status: Completed!

Dark Dance

Secrets and Spies

Prince Caleb was my dance partner. He was lanky, with chestnut hair and dark hazel eyes. He was always charming and he had an effortless grace that made him stunning on the dance floor. Of all the things my sisters and I were trained for, dancing was the only one I enjoyed. There was something freeing and exhilarating about the intricate steps. But the night that Sam Embry came to the castle, I couldn't concentrate. Instead of seeing Caleb's hazel eyes in front of me, I kept seeing Sam's moss green ones instead, wishing that his strong arms were the ones wrapped around me. It was strange; I wasn't like most of my sisters. I didn't develop silly crushes or sigh dreamily over men. Even Caleb, who was attractive and who I danced with every night, did not stir my heart to pound wildly in my chest or make my knees turn to water. I really only came dancing at night for the adventure of it.

"You seem distracted," Caleb said to me. I mumbled a vague apology. I felt warmer than usual, as though someone were pressing against me. But when I glanced around, I saw that none of my sisters or their partners were dancing anywhere near us. Then I felt breath on my neck. I pulled away from Caleb and spun around.

"Is something the matter, Leila?" he asked, sounding perplexed.

"I-I felt someone behind me," I said. I reached out my hand. I was met only with air. I knew I hadn't imagined it. First my boat had been slow and heavy, and now this. I saw one of the potted plants rustle, and darted away from Caleb. My soft pink dress trailed behind me, and my hair was already coming out of its fancy up-do.

"Leila!" Caleb called after me, startled.

"Be right back!" I peered around the plant. There was nothing there. I reached out, and thought I felt something soft beneath my fingers. Bewildered, I started to wedge myself behind the pot, intending to do a full investigation. But Caleb intercepted me.

"Come finish our dance, Leila," he murmured, and something in his tone gave me pause. Caleb had never been anything other than cordial to me. But that night there was a dark note in his voice and a tightness around his smile. I reluctantly left the plant behind and went back to my dancing. I went through the motions the rest of the night, smiling and laughing when I should. For once, I was eager to leave the princes and return to my room. I felt my boat rock unsteadily as I gingerly sat down. I held very still, straining to hear the sounds of breathing or movement. But if there was someone else in my boat, the gentle lapping of the water muffled their noise. Frustrated, I clambered out of my boat when it reached the shore.

I trailed behind my sisters as we moved through the magic woods, our voices and feet heavy with the desire for sleep. I heard a twig snap behind me and whirled around. There was no one there. Curiosity gnawed at me. I knew I wasn't imagining all the sounds. Priscilla opened the door back into our room, and I shot her a glare. She didn't deserve the key. In fact the only thing Priscilla deserved was a good sock in the head.

We piled into the room and started shedding our finery for nightgowns. I let my curls fall free and they tumbled down my back like a silver curtain. I ignored my sisters' excited chatter, tugging on a soft pink nightgown and tucking my blankets around myself. Cyrus was in his usual place at the foot of my bed. I buried my face in my feather pillow, allowing sleep to overcome me, bringing dreams of deep voices and green eyes.

* * * * *

The following day found me sprinting through the kitchen and out the servant's door, Cyrus on my heels.

"Music class today?" Cook called after me as I tore out the door.

"Yep!" I called back. Then I was outside, racing for the stables. I personally loved music, and was a damn fine singer, but the classes were taught by a stern old crone named Madame Geraldine, and she hated me. Even worse than that, Priscilla and Margaret had both been born without any musical talent whatsoever. Listening to their off-pitch, ear-splitting sopranos made me want to die. I slumped against one of the dragon's stalls, panting.

"Are you all right, your majesty?" The quiet, rumbling voice startled me and I jumped nearly a foot in the air.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you."

It was Sam. My mouth immediately went dry. I coughed. "No, I'm all right. It's okay. I was just...uh."

He had a knowing look in his eyes, and I flushed. I hurriedly turned my attention to the dragon in the stall. It was Zara. She was curled around her two eggs, watching me expectantly. I reached into the stall and handed her the sugar biscuits I had swiped on my way out of the kitchen. The petite dragon gracefully extended her gold scaled neck and nibbled them delicately. I sighed.

"Something troubling you, Highness?" Sam asked.

"I love dragons," I said wistfully. "I want to be a Rider, but Father won't let me." Women were not exclusively banned from the military; it's just that most of them were too busy trying to marry into wealthy families to bother. Something occurred to me, and I turned to Sam excitedly.

"You were in the Fleet. Did you ever see any Riders?" I asked eagerly.

"Once."

"What were they like?"

"It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen."

I stared off into space for a moment, trying to imagine how spectacular it must be to see a dragon and Rider in flight.

"I hate to disappoint you, Princess, but I have seen something even more stunning since then," Sam said quietly. I stared at him. "And what on earth could that possibly be?" I asked.

Sam just smiled, his eyes twinkling. "I'd best be going, Highness."

"Leila," I blurted. "Call me Leila."

"Leila," he repeated, seeming to savor the name on his lips. I felt my face turn pink again. Then he was gone, and the scent of pine and soap lingered in the air.

"I think I'm losing it, Zara," I said to the dragon. She just stared serenely back at me.

"Leila!" I heard my mother's irate voice floating from the music room window. I grimaced, tucking myself into the shadows of the stables.

"I know you're with the dragons, Leila. Don't make me send the guard to fetch you!"

Sighing in defeat, I tossed Zara the last of the sugar biscuits and trudged off to meet Madame Geraldine.