Sequel: Dark Intent
Status: Completed!

Dark Dance

Mysteries

I was banished to my room later that day for nearly giving Madame Geraldine a heart attack. She had gone absolutely purple in the face and I thought her head was going to explode like an overripe watermelon dropped from a great height.

It was all Priscilla's fault, but who was punished for it? She had been standing there at the head of the music room, "singing" some old ballad. When I say singing, I mean shrieking through her pointed little nose. I cowered in my seat, willing my ears to fall off. When the song was over, Madame Geraldine raved about how much Priscilla has been improving.

"Well, I suppose that's true," I said acidly. "At least no dogs started crying, and no one's ears bled this time. Although if you had gone on for one second more, I think mine may have exploded. Honestly, you sound like you're having horrible, painful sex, and I can't begin to understand why our parents keep paying Madame to train us, since she's clearly deaf."

My sisters gaped at me with wide eyes and slack jaws. Priscilla's face had gone scarlet, and all she could manage was an indignant squeak. Madame Geraldine couldn't even manage that. The tall, unnervingly thin woman just stood there, flapping her mouth open and closed like a beached fish her face steadily going from pink, to red, to an unpleasant eggplant color. Then the old bat proceeded to faint dead away there on the music room floor.

And I've been sitting in my room reading a history book ever since. At least class was excused early. I didn't stir from my spot on my bed until later in the evening, when I heard a commotion in the hall. I poked my head out. I flinched. Judith had been busted for running off and ditching music class.

"Judith, I am very disappointed in you," Mother ranted, her deep violet eyes narrowed and flashing.

"What do I need a class like that for anyway?" Judith protested. "I'm twenty-six!"

"Yes, and still living here, unmarried. I am your queen, and, more importantly, your mother. And while you are still single and living under this roof, you will abide by my rules. You're a terrible influence on your younger sister. I expect better of you, Judith. No more skipping classes, do you understand? Or I'll have that wretched vehicle of yours impounded."

Judith gasped. "You can't do that!"

"I most certainly can," Mother said. Her delicate hand suddenly reached out, snatching Judith's bag from her shoulder.

"Hey! Give that back-"

"Metal magic, hm? So this is what you've been up to." Mother shook her head. "You'd best hope your father doesn't find out about this. I'll have one of the guards return these to the library tomorrow." She pulled the books out of Judith's reach when she tried to grab them back. "Go to your room with Leila," Mother commanded. "Between the two of you, it's a wonder your poor tutors didn't go insane and throw themselves out of the tower window sooner." She spun gracefully on her heel and stalked away down the hall, leaving Judith standing in her wake, flushed and stormy-faced. I ducked back into my room as she stomped down the hall, throwing our bedroom door open with a bang.

"How dare she still treat me like a child!" she railed, slamming the door loudly behind her.

"In this society, you are a child until you're married," I pointed out. "Age doesn't make a difference."

"Well it's stupid," Judith grumbled.

"You shouldn't have ditched today though," I informed her. "You missed quite a show."

Judith raised a brow at me. "Oh?"

"I almost killed Geraldine."

"About time." We shared a morbid snicker, then I explained the incident to Judith. By the end she had to wipe tears of mirth from her eyes.

"You're right, I do wish I'd been there for that." Then her features settled into a frown. "I have to get those books back," she muttered.

"I'm sure Mother has them stashed in the royal study," I said. "She wouldn't keep them in her chambers, in case Father saw them there and thought they were hers." I snorted. "As if."

"You're right," Judith said thoughtfully.

"What's so special about those books anyway?"

"I found a book about twelve warlock princes. I didn't get a chance to look at it too much, but I think it might have to do with our dance partners."

It was my turn to raise an eyebrow. "How interesting. Well, the library won't open tomorrow until noon, right? We could totally slip into the study and steal the book back before one of the guards takes it back. We could do it after the dance."

A slow smile crept over my sister's face, making her pale, gray-tinted violet eyes darken. "Yes, I think that sounds most excellent," she said slyly.

* * * *

When we traveled through the three enchanted woods that night, I again felt the sensation that someone else was with us. I glanced over my shoulder so many times it's a wonder I didn't give myself whiplash. My boat was slower than normal again as well, and it rocked unsteadily as I climbed in and out of it. I started to wonder if perhaps I had picked up a ghost, and smiled to myself at the thought. I was distracted all through the night again, and I could tell it was bothering Caleb. I kept thinking about mine and Judith's plan to sneak into the study. Plus I kept feeling that soft breath on my neck, although now it was less unnerving. At one point, I could swear I felt a warm hand on my back that didn't belong to Caleb. I supposed I should tell my sisters, or at least Judith and Savannah, but I sort of liked having the secret all to myself.

Suddenly I realized that Caleb had pressed closer and closer to me, his eyes alarmingly intense as he stared, unblinking, at my face.

"You look ravishing tonight, Leila," he breathed. My skin prickled beneath my rose pink silk. It was a long, strapless affair that flared from the waist, the skirt falling in a sparkling cascade to the floor and trailing slightly behind me. Caleb's large hands skimmed the flesh of my bare shoulders, and I realized for the first time just how much bigger than me he was. My heart started to pound, and it wasn't from the excitement of the midnight dance.

"Caleb, I'm thirsty," I said, trying to hide my nerves. "Could you bring me a glass of water?"

"It can wait," he murmured, leaning down, bringing his lips closer to mine. I stopped dancing abruptly, causing him to stumble.

"I'm really thirsty," I insisted. His eyes showed surprise, then annoyance. He lunged forward, gripping my arm tightly. I cried out. I was sure there was going to be a bruise. What was going on? Caleb had never acted like this.

"Who are you thinking about, little princess?" he snarled softly in my ear.

"No one," I said, glad my voice didn't quiver.

"Don't lie to me, Leila," he said, his eyes narrowed into angry slits.

"Let go, Caleb. You're hurting me."

"I said. Don't. Lie. To me," he repeated, squeezing my arm harder with each word.

"And I said, let me go!" I swung my hand up, punching him in the nose. Blood burst forth, splattering his pale shirt. I leaped back, startled by the whole situation. Heads were turning to look at us. I saw a rage in Caleb's eyes that made my breath catch, but as my sisters started crowding in around us, it cleared and he reassured everyone that I had just been dancing too long and was overly warm. I glared at him, so furious that I thought my gaze may actually singe him. It didn't, sadly.

"It's about time we were going anyway," Judith said smoothly. "You'd best go clean that up, Prince Caleb."

He just nodded and turned away. But as he went to walk away, he suddenly tripped, landing sprawled on the floor in a red-faced heap. His fellow princes moved to help him up while my sisters tittered, asking if he was all right. I said nothing, turning away when his cold eyes sought mine. Judith took my arm and steered me towards the boats. The whole way home, I was certain that I felt another presence trailing after me.