Even Something so Wrong Can Feel Right

Chapter 1

Hayley moved around her kitchen trying to get it cleaned up, but her mind could not stray away from the message that was left on her answering machine earlier this morning.

Hayley, I know that right now you probably don’t want to talk to me, or even have anything to do with me. But I really need to talk to you. *sigh* Please Hayley, call me back. And if you don’t, I will be by your house at 8 tonight. I hope you let me in.

It wasn’t the message itself that had Hayley’s head spinning and her heart racing, it was the person that left the message.

You see Harrison James is Hayley’s brother in law, married to her older sister Angela. But the truth is that Hayley has always liked him. And when it appeared that nothing was ever going to come out of her feelings, she forced herself to find a school that was away from home, which is how she ended by moving to Miami.

However, after 5 years of being away Hayley was forced to come home. Her mother had been diagnosed with cancer and she needed someone to care for her. Hayley lived and cared for her mother until she passed a year ago. But instead of moving back to Florida she decided to stay in New York.

It wasn’t long after she moved back that things started to get strange. Hayley started to notice that her sisters marriage wasn’t going so well, which actually surprised her. From one of the many arguments that Hayley over heard, she learned that Angela wanted to have kids. Her reasoning was that they have been married for 5 years and she thought that it was time to have a baby. But Harrison kept saying that he wasn’t ready to have kids, and that was something Hayley didn’t understand.

During one of their conversations, Harrison had told her that he wanted a big family, much like the one that he grew up in. But he didn’t want any with Angela, his wife? It did not make sense, but then all of a sudden it did.

About 2 months ago, Harrison came over to Hayley’s apartment after one of his fights with Angela, and it was at this visit that everything changed. They had started out just talking and watching TV. Around dinner they order Chinese food and watched a couple of movies, with Hayley leaning against Harrison. It was at that point that Harrison leaned down and pulled Hayley into a kiss. But instead of pulling away and stopping him, Hayley wrapped her arms around his neck and straddled his lap.

From the couch in the living room, they had made their way to Hayley’s bedroom, and from there they spent all night pleasuring each other. However, the next morning everything was awkward. Hayley regretted what they had down, but Harrison felt like he was on cloud nine. Because of the tension in the air, Harrison left without talking to Hayley and ever since he has been trying to find a way to talk to her, but Hayley has been avoiding him. But now it seems that she has nowhere left to run.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It was getting closer and closer to 8pm, and Hayley was nervously cleaning her whole apartment. She had a feeling she knew what he wanted to talk about, if the phone call that she received from her sister was any clue.

Hayley was just straightening up the living room when there was a knock on her front door. Her head shot over to the clock on the wall, which read 8:05. She let out a sigh, and then made her way over to the door. She took another deep breath and rubbed her hands on her jeans before placing her hand on the door knob. Hayley pulled to door open, and she just stared at Harrison as he stood nervously in front of her, his hands stuffed in his pockets.

“Hey,” he muttered out with a small smile.

Hayley smiled slightly at him and leaned against the door, “hi.”

“Can I come in?” Harrison questioned as he motioned with his head into her apartment.

She sighed and nodded her head slightly, “yeah come on in.” She moved out of the way and allowed him to walk past her, into the living room, before shutting the door.

Harrison sat himself down on the couch and looked over at Hayley. He knew that she was nervous, but he had to talk to her. Hayley made her way over and sat down on the couch beside him. She wouldn’t look up into his eyes, so she kept her hands in her lap. Harrison sighed and reached over, grabbing her hands in his.

“Hayley,” he murmured trying to get her attention.

Hayley looked up into his eyes, turning her hand over under his so that she could hold onto it, “you wanted to talk to me about something?”

Harrison nodded his head with a small smile on his face, “yeah I did.” He moved a little closer and tightened his hold on her hand. “First I wanted to tell you exactly how I feel about you.” Hayley shifted a little before looking up at him. Harrison moved his free hand up to her cheek and stroked it lovingly. “I’ve always liked you Hayley, even loved you. But when you moved away I thought that there would be no way that we would ever have a chance to be together…”

“And that is why you married Angela?” Hayley interrupted; shocked that Harrison felt the same way that she did.

Harrison nodded his head, “yeah it is. But I never loved her, at least I was never in love with her.” He smiled as he looked down at their connected hands, “and then you moved back from Miami,” he looked into her eyes, “and all of my feelings for you came back. And they were probably stronger that before.” Harrison sighed, “and after that night that we spent together,” he looked deeply into her eyes, “I never wanted to leave your side again.”

A small smirk crossed over Hayley’s face as she bit her lip, “and?”

Harrison laughed a little, “you know don’t you?”

“Know what?” Hayley shrugged with a smile.

“That I served Angela with divorce papers yesterday.”

Hayley sighed and smiled while nodding her head, “yeah I know. Angela called me late last night, drunk, and in tears and told me. She said some very bad things about you,” she laughed a little, “but then again every word that came out of her mouth was slurred.”

“Really?” Harrison laughed out.

“Really, and when I say drunk I mean very drunk.”

Harrison brought his free hand up and rested it on her cheek again, while laughing a little. When they both quieted done, he rested his forehead against hers. Harrison stared into her eyes before leaning in and pulling Hayley into a passionate kiss. She took her hand from his and moved them both so that they were around his neck, pulling him closer to her. She moved so that her left leg was on the couch, on the other side of Harrison, and laid down bringing him with her. Their lips kept moving together, until both of them could feel their lungs straining for air. They pulled away from each other and Harrison rested his forehead against hers again.

He pulled back and looked into her eyes, his one hand coming up to play with her hair as the other held him up, “so where does that leave us?”

Hayley sighed, “I don’t know.” She moved one hand to play with the hair on the back of his neck and the other to his chest. “I want us to be together, but living in the same city as Angela and doing that is going to be hard.”

Harrison smirked a little down at her, “don’t you have your place down in Florida still? And if not we could move down there and find a place. That way I could see you in a bikini all the time.”

Hayley laughed, “of course you would enjoy that. And as a matter of fact, I do still have my house down there that we could use.”

“So,” Harrison inquired,” how do you feel about moving there?”

Hayley smiled at him and nodded her head, “let’s do it!” She remarked as she pulled him down into a kiss, both of them laughing at her excitement.

Harrison pulled away, “I love you Hayley.”

Hayley smiled at him, “I love you too Harrison.”

And as such, the star crossed lovers were able to find a way to be together and start a new life.