Status: un et fait~

I Will Always Love You

One and Only

“Where am I?” I asked my boyfriend, Erik, as he was guiding me along since I was blindfolded.

“You'll see soon enough, dear.” He said, pushing me through the crowd, his hand on the small of my back. “Ah, here's our table!” Erik exclaimed, stopping abruptly.

“Can I take this blindfold off, now?” I asked him. I was so nervous, I didn't know what was going on. Erik had called me earlier today to tell me that we were going out for dinner, but he didn't tell me where. He had come by and picked me up, and before we were even on the street to the place, he had put a blindfold on me. We had gotten to the place, and he still wouldn't let me take it off, I guess until now.

“Yes, my dear. Go ahead, I'll help.” With that, he untied the blindfold and what I saw shocked me beyond belief. I was speechless; the restaurant was full of people Erik and I know. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. There were perfect flower centre pieces on every table, little napkin swans, and gorgeous china. There were streamers hanging down from all the walls surrounding us. There was a punch fountain off to the side with a lot of different types of cheeses and meats.

“Oh... my.. gosh... Erik did you do all this?” I asked, astonished. I kept looking around, taking it all in.

“Yes, I did this all for you, dear. I did this because I love you, Cass.” He said, and got down on one knee. My mind started racing; I couldn't marry Erik! I mean, I love him, but I don't love him. I started to panic when he grabbed my hand.

“My dear, Cass, we've known each other for a few years now, and have been together for just over a year. That year we've been together has been the best year of my life. I remember the first time I saw you, it was a few years back, I was playing in Toronto, and you were sitting right behind our bench. I couldn't take my eyes off of you, you were so beautiful. You noticed me staring at you, so you waved, then hid your face to conceal that you were blushing. After the game, I sent someone, my friend Dave to look for you, I had to meet you. I didn't even know your name, yet I was already in love. Once Dave told me he found you I frantically finished getting changed, and ran to you. When I saw you, my jaw dropped; you were much more beautiful up close. So I gave you my number, asked you to hang out sometime, you hesitated, taking it all, but you accepted. That was the start of a beautiful friendship, which blossomed into this perfect relationship. I can't picture myself with another women, Cass, and I never want to. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, because I love you so much, you are my everything, my whole world. I used to think hockey was my world until I met you.” He pulled out a small ring box, which contained the most beautiful diamond ring. “So, my dear Cass, will you join me for the rest of our lives, and marry me?” The room fell silent, all waiting for my reply. What Erik had just said, was so beautiful, but I couldn't. I couldn't marry him. I looked around, at all the people waiting, anticipating my reply, then back at Erik. He looked so handsome, so innocent, so... perfect. He'd be heartbroken if I rejected him, but I had to.

I was so nervous when I spoke, I didn't know how to do this. “Erik...” He looked at me, I looked into his eyes, his soft, brown, puppy dog eyes. “I-I....” I took a deep breathe, “I can't marry you... I'm sorry Erik, but I can't.” The whole room gasped; I felt awful. His face dropped as he stood up. He looked to heartbroken, devastated, as if someone had just died. I just felt like crying.

“Well... why not?” He asked after a long silence.

“I-I just can't, I'm sorry, Erik.” I responded. I swear I saw a tear roll down his cheek. The feel of the room changed, from special and exciting, to gloomy and broken. No one said a word, there were none to say. I felt my eyes swell up, I couldn't hold the tears back any longer.

“Oh... Well... I still love you, Cass.” He said, breaking the silence again.

“I-I love you, t-too, Erik.” I said, tears now rolling down my face. By now he had let go of my hand, and took a step back. I lightly kissed his check, and rushed out of the restaurant, hoping to get out before I started to bawl.

I had just made it out of the restaurant before the tears came streaming down. I felt so bad, I had broken his heart, but I felt so relieved.

I went down the street a bit, and sat on a bus-stop bench. I sat there, curled up in a bawl, crying. I didn't know what I was going to do; what was going on. Will I stay with Erik, or will I break it off? I was so conflicted, which made me cry even more.

Moments passed before I felt someone sit down beside me, and wrap their arms around me. I felt them stroking my hair, and heard a hushed shushing sound. I knew right then it was Erik. I didn't even have to look up to know it was him.

“Erik, I'm so so sorry. I'm so sorry for breaking your heart and making you sad and I'm sor-” That was all I could get out before he interrupted me.

“It's okay, my darling. I forgive you and I understand. I want you to know that I will always love you no matter what you do, whether you leave me or stay.” He reassured me.

I looked up at him, and he smiled at me. His face was a bit red, his eyes were red and puffy, I could tell he had been crying. I smiled back at him.

“I love you, Erik.”

“I love you, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's it!~