Status: Active

She

She

They crossed paths in the hallway and looked up at each other almost simultaneously. He looked at her surprised while she looked afraid and upset. She finally turned and walked away, but he ran after her and grabbed her arm.

“Look, we can’t keep doing this,” he said. She jerked her arm free and kept walking. “We need to talk.”

“There’s nothing to talk about,” she said quietly, stopping for a moment.

“Yes, there is. Look, I’m sorry, but…I really don’t know what to say. I just…I don’t want to leave us like this. Ignoring each other and acting like enemies,” he pleaded her. She finally turned around to look at him for the first time in a long while. She had one question only, and even if she got an answer it still wouldn’t fix things between them.

“Just tell me one thing, if I hadn’t said anything, would you have told me? Ever?” she asked, her voice breaking halfway through the sentence. He inhaled sharply and looked away, but she had found her answer.

“That’s what I thought. Did you really think I would never find out?” she asked as she started to cry. “Did you ever even like me?”

“Of course I did,” he said. “But I like her more. It’s…it has nothing to do with you she’s just-”

“Better than me?” she finished with a sarcastic laugh, but her voice caught on the last word and a choked sob followed.

“Do you even realize what you did to my heart? Do you even care?” she asked, trying to keep her voice steady. When he didn’t answer she glared at him. She always knew he spoke more by what he didn’t say than what he said.

“Thought so.”

She turned around and started to walk away before his voice stopped her.

“I didn’t mean to hurt you,” was all he could manage to say.

She turned back to him with a cold glare.

“No, that’s exactly what you meant to do, otherwise you wouldn’t have done it!” she nearly yelled at him.

She walked away and when she was a safe distance she let her tears fall freely. She loved him, and he broke her heart, and now…now it was too much to bear even looking at him. She didn’t want to be friends, she just wanted to be left alone by him. She would never heal if he was constantly around her, trying to be friendly, trying to make her laugh. She knew it would only make her fall even more and she was already at the bottom of the cliff. Did he want to bury her beneath the sand?

She looked up to see her boyfriend walking towards her. She offered a small smile, but he just walked on by not paying her any attention.

“Hey!” she called out after him. When he didn’t turn around she repeated herself louder. He finally stopped and turned around and she ran over to him. She ran up to him and wrapped her arms around him. After what just happened she needed a hug. But he only grabbed both her arms and pushed her away gently.

“Not now, I need to get to class,” he said without emotion as he turned to walk away. At a feeble attempt to make him stay she grabbed the sleeve of his jacket.

“But I just need a second to tell you-” she started to say, but he only jerked out of her grasp.

“Later!” he snapped. She recoiled and looked down at the ground as he walked away. She came to him after he broke her heart, thinking he would be the one to mend it. He was so sweet, kind and funny. He made her laugh, but now the laughter had ceased. She hardly even laughed anymore and when she did it was forced. To her the worst part was that he hardly paid her any attention. He always blamed the fact that he was busy, but she knew the truth. She knew he didn’t care anymore, but he knew how delicate she was and not wanting to break her heart, kept her around so she wouldn’t go farther into the hole the world seemed to be trying to throw her in.

She ran to the bathroom and splashed water on her face. She was already late for class, so she didn’t see any harm in cleaning herself up so it wouldn’t look like she was crying.

She was a beautiful girl with smoldering green eyes. They were the color of the a green pasture land on a peaceful day with the wing blowing through it. With these mesmerizing eyes came the longest eyelashes anyone had ever seen. Her pale pink lips used to curve into a crooked smile when she laughed, but the most beautiful of her features was her hair. It was an unusual, but stunning shade of strawberry blonde, and went halfway down her back before ending and curling slightly at the end. It was also the thing she hated most about herself. She loathed her hair because it was untamable, but that was perhaps the best word to described her personality before those boys came and fenced her in like a wild mustang, and it was a shame no one could see it. She used to be so free and happy, but those two boys dragged her down.

I watched it happen. I saw her fall into their traps and destroy her spirit. I only wish I could help her. I would do anything to see that once radiant smile grace her face again…just once.

My name is Carsten Becker; I'm a German exchange student in the US, and ever since I first laid eyes on her exactly two months ago, I fell in love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so I know earlier I said it was only a one-shot, but then I got inspiration to make it into a full-length story, so hopefully more will come if I can ever get my boyfriend to help me out with the German in the story. So stay tuned for more! =)