Status: ongoing

We Were Both Young

06 Second Heartbeat

Image

Its been a little over 2 months since Zacky and the guys stayed the night here.
Things had gone back to normal around here, almost as if they'd never been here at all. It took me almost the whole first month to stop thinking about it.
Part of me thought, maybe I overreacted. We might still be associating right now if I hadn't have been so harsh on him. But I knew it was heart telling me that. I had missed him so much over the years, I just never thought he'd ever do that me. Zacky was always so trustworthy back when we were together. And I know he's not the cheating type.
One day while I was at work in the office, temping for Robert Wolfe's assistant while she was on vacation , I experienced some potentially upsetting news.

Sitting at Margaret Donovan's desk, filing Mr. Wolfe's reports, I listened to my radio quietly just to pass the time. Robert Wolfe
was a handsome, dark haired executive editor, with a promiscuous personality. (Picture Robert Downey Jr.)
He walked in with a stack of files and set them on my desk.

"These are all of my clients in alphabetical order. I need you to go through them and highlight all of the ones that have the last name starting with the letters A through F. Oh and Michael says there's cake in the lounge from Lisa's birthday today" he told me.

I opened the first page of the file and the whole first page was A.
I sighed, and noticed Robert staring down my top. I looked up at him with a raised eyebrow. He just smiled and left the room.

About an hour through highlighting, the desk phone rang.
Picking up, I said hello, and waited for a response.

"Hey Kale, its Brian. "

I smiled.

"Hey how are you?" I asked.

"Well, I know Valentine's Day is coming up, so me and the guys were wondering if we could come over and party with you and Danielle again."
I could hear the hesitation in his voice.

"Sure, as long as Zacky doesn't come." I answered firmly.

"Ok cool. I think we can work that out. How about Friday?" He asked.

That was in 4 days. I didn't have to work, and Danielle pretty much took anytime off she wanted since she got her new job.

"Ok, I'll talk to Danielle about it later when I go over there. "

"Ok great. We'll see you soon Kale. Bye." He said, and hung up.

I was glad Brian called. Danielle and I haven't had time to drink in weeks. We've both been busy.
I picked up the phone again, and this time dialed Danielle's phone.

"Hello?" She said after 3 rings.

"Hey its me."

"Ugh, I'm glad you called. I'm having a shitty day. I started my period at John's photo shoot earlier and dont gave any advil for my cramps. Do you have any?"
She asked desperately.

"Yeah. I get off work in about 15 minutes, where are you at?"

"I'm at John's interview at the radio station downtown."

"Oh that's not far. I'll be there in about a half hour then."

We hung up, and before long it was 4:00 and time for me to leave. I punched out and left, shedding my work suit on my way to my car.

I got into my little white Saturn and drove off towards downtown.

When I got to the radio station, I went I.side and asked the front desk lady to page Danielle for me.
She came down moments later with John and we all got into my car.

"So are we going to eat then?" I asked.
They both answered yes and I drove away. Danielle dig through my purse, taking my advil out and popping a few, while talking about her shitty day.

"Did you have really bad cramps this month too?" She asked.

"Not yet " was all I said.

"But you always get your period before me." She added.

I dont remember having my period lately. I dont even remember the one I had last month.
I was a little giddy fir Danielle at this point. She must be really comfortable with John krasinski if she's willing to talk about her period in front if him. And by the looks on his face, he didn't even seem bothered by it.

When we got to the restaurant and were seated, Danielle and John both started chatting about random stuff while I sat in silence, trying to remember when my last period was. But I couldn't seem to remember. I dont think I even had one last month.
And that's when it hit me.

"Oh my God, I think I'm pregnant."
I said aloud.

Danielle and John both looked at me, not saying a word.

"Are you sure?" She asked finally.

"Yes. And that would explain all my nauseous-ness and heartburn too." I said, putting two and two together.

The day before the guys were coming over, Danielle went with me to the doctor's office for a pregnancy test.
We sat in the room after the doctor drew my blood, waiting impatiently for the news.
When the doctor came in with a sheet of paper, I grabbed Danielle's hand tightly.

"Well, you are indeed pregnant Ms. Logan." He said to me.

Great...

After the doctor did and ultrasound, determining I was around 9 weeks pregnant, he let us leave with a list of gynecologist references.

When we got back to Danielle's apartment, I collapsed onto her couch and cried.

Why did this happen now? I could swear Zacky used a condom. I guess I was a little more buzzed that night than I thought.
Now we're not talking, he's with somebody else, and he doesn't need a kid, let alone WANT one right now.
Danielle sat next to me and rubbed my back, telling me that everything would be ok. I knew it wouldn't. As soon as I told Zacky, things would just start snowballing from there.
And then I though, maybe I wouldn't even tell Zacky. At least not anytime soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope you guys like it, let me know what you think!