Status: ongoing

We Were Both Young

09 Lost...

Jack wandered around aimlessly now, whimpering for his mother.
He finally sat down in the grass between two big busses, crying.
Where was his mother? Why had she left? All he knew was that he was alone, without her.

"Alright man, I'll see you later." A deep voice came from nearby.

Zacky shut the door to Adam's bus and turned to go back to his own, when he heard a faint whimpering come from the other side of the bus.
He rounded the corner and found a little boy sitting on the ground, crying. Zacky approached the child.

"What's wrong little man?" He asked.

Jack looked up at the man. He was wearing all black, and had colorful skin. And he had a booger hanging from his nose or something. His hair was droopy and black, hanging in his face.

"I can't find my mommy." Jack told him.

Zacky sighed, concerned for him.

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Jack." The boy replied.

Zacky helped him up and carried him back to his bus, where he might contact a tour manager and report the child lost.
When they got on the bus, the guys were sitting around drinking beer. Matt noticed Jack first, and spoke.

"Who's that?" He asked, confused.

"His names Jack. I found him outside crying. He says he can't find his mom." Zacky answered, setting the boy down on the sofa.

"Stay here ok?" Zacky said.

Jack nodded.

Zacky walked to the front of the bus where the radio was and picked it up.
"If anyone's looking for a little boy named Jack, he's on the A7X bus."

The man on the other end confirmed and said he'd ask around.
Zacky went back to the Booth where Jack was sitting.

"So how old are you, Jack?" He asked.

Jack held up his index and middle finger like a peace sign and said "Two."

Zacky smiled, looking at the boy more closely.
He had dark, coffee brown hair and emerald green eyes. He looked so familiar, but Zacky couldn't figure out why; or how.

MEANWHILE

After waiting a grueling 20 minutes at the service booth, the man who took down my statement came back to the table and smiled.

"Good news, one of the bands found a little boy wandering around crying." Looking down at his small notepad, he continued with a description.
"Brown hair, green eyes. Apparently his name's Jack."

"That's him! Where is he?" I cried.

He looked back down at his notepad.
"One of the bands found him. Bus 27. I'll have one of our security guys escort you right away." He finished with a smile.

I smiled, and turned to hug Danielle tightly.
Then, a young man (probably in his twenties), emerged from a nearby golf cart and approached us. He had short blonde hair and wore dark sunglasses.

"Ladies,if you'll follow me please." He asked.

We walked quickly, trying to keep up with the man's long strides as he led us away from the Booth.

Zacky sat, watching Jack play with the drawstrings on his hoodie.
When the boy noticed, he asked "what?"

Zacky shook his head and looked over to Matt.

"Who are you here with?" Matt asked.

Jack looked up.
"My mommy and Auntie Danielle."

"That's cool. Do you like rock music?"
Matt asked, wondering why someone would bring a young child to such a rowdy event.

"I dont know." the boy answered.

"Well why are you here then?" Brian asked from his spot on his bunk.

"I'm here to find my daddy." Jack said in a firm tone.

Zacky just nodded, and never noticed the curious look Matt and Brian exchanged with each other.

Brian came to the front of the bus and sat on the 'sofa' with Matt.

"You lost your dad?" He asked the boy, a hint of challenge in his voice.

Zacky didn't pay attention to Brian's tone, just listened for Jack's answer.

"No. I dont know him. But I'm here to find my daddy, and take him home so he can teach me baseball."

Matt and Brian glanced at each other again.

"How do you know he's here?" Zacky asked curiously.

"Mommy told me he does music. She said he would be here." He said with a frustrated look on his face.

By now, Matt was nervously playing with his lip ring, having the same thoughts as Brian.
Neither said a word.

"Do you know his name?" Zacky asked.

MEANWHILE
When we arrived at the correct bus, the security guy knocked, but my son was in there. I didn't have to knock.
I opened the door, flinging.g it so hard, it hit the bus fender.
I sprinted up the steps and turned, seeing my son immediately.

"Jack!" I said.

When I saw who he was with, I went pale and froze like a deer in headlights.
Shit...

***
Jack was about to answer my question, and then someone burst up the steps, calling his name.
I looked up just as Jack cried "mommy!" And almost stopped breathing.
Kale stood with red, swollen eyes. Her long, golden hair hung in wisps around her face. She was definitely in distress.
No matter how long we'd been apart, I could still read her like an open book.
But right now, I was confused. If Jack called her mommy, then she has a kid. He's here at warped tour looking for his dad...who plays music...

Jack finished hugging Kale and looked up at Kale.

"Mommy, what is my daddy's name?" He asked her, remembering my question.

We locked eyes. Part of me didn't want to know, but the other part was eager, because I kind of knew. Almost.
Then there was that tug, deep in my heart, that surprisingly hoped my name would be her answer.

Kale sighed heavily, "your dad's name is Zacky."

I let out the breath I'd been holding for so long, nervous and relieved at the same time.
When Jack turned to face me, suddenly everything about him was beautiful. His chocolate brown hair and green eyes. He definitely had Kale's nose and ears.
And the more I looked at him, the more I realized how much he looked like ME.