Beyond the Rain

This is the story of Billy Carmedy and Aaron Sorensen. It’s tough enough to be a straight boy in a small town high school looking for the love of your life. But at least your possible loves are all out in the open. It’s much, much tougher when you’re a 17 year-old gay boy, part of only 10% or less of the school population and your possible loves are all in hiding, just as you are, due to the fear of being socially ostracized, laughed at, condemned and physically harassed by your peers. Add to this mix the complete rejection of Aaron by his parents due to religious bigotry when he trustingly came out to them and you have the challenging but beautiful story of how two personable and intelligent gay boys circuitously find each other and somehow survive.
  1. Chapter One.
    "A place where there isn't any trouble? Do you suppose there is such a place, Toto? There must be. It's not a place you can get to by a boat or a train. It's far, far away, behind the moon, beyond the rain."
  2. Chapter Two.
    "I shall take the heart," returned the Tin Woodman; "for brains do not make one happy, and happiness is the best thing in the world."
  3. Chapter Three.
    "The true courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty."
  4. Chapter Four.
    As soon go kindle fire with snow, as seek to quench the fire of love with words.
  5. Chapter Five.
    Frightened? Child, you're talking to a man who's laughed in the face of danger, chuckled at catastrophe, and sneered at danger. . . . I was petrified!
  6. Chapter Six.
    “Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” - Winston Churchill
  7. Chapter Seven.
    One day, he said the oddest thing. "Billy, I'm so glad you aren't gay like me. It hurts too much. I know if you were, you wouldn't take it like I have; you'd stand up and fight them all. I wish I could be like you."
  8. Chapter Eight.
    Wizard of Oz: "You, my friend, are a victim of disorganized thinking. You are under the impression that just because you run away you have no courage."
  9. Chapter Nine.
    Scarecrow: "Where are we, Dorothy?" Dorothy: "We must be over the rainbow!"
  10. Epilouge.
    Billy: "Have you found a place where there isn't any trouble?" Aaron: "There isn't really any place like that. It would be make believe; behind the moon, beyond the rain. I think I'll just stay here with you with your arms around me and watch the ra