A Little Piece of Heaven.

A Little Piece Of Heaven.

Zacky's POV
Walking down the street in an unfamiliar part of town, I decide to go into a coffee shop. I've never been in here before, and I know I wouldn't have come in here if the usual Starbucks wasn't under construction. I step in and take a look at the scene, and that's when I see him, a man about my age, working fast as he tends the bar alone.
"Hello, welcome to Costa, how can I help you?" he asks, his voice sounding like the smoothest velvet.
"Er-" I stutter, "I'll just have a... a coffee, please, um... I'll sit in."
"Of course, sir," he smiles a dazzling smile, and I notice his eyes are the colour of the richest chocolate, and I see how they glitter with emotion as he smiles. He breaks the eye contact and rushes around, making the coffee.
"Would you like milk with your coffee?" He asks.
"Um, yeah. Yeah please." I reply, feeling a little dumbfounded. He rustles around some more and hands me a cup of steaming hot coffee. I take a note out of my wallet and hand it to him, blushing as our hands touch while he gives me the change.
"Thank you, enjoy your coffee." He says and smiles again.
"Um.. thanks." I murmur and walk over to a table near the back, with him stood in clear view of me. I steal a few glances at him, and every time I do, he's looking in my direction too. I inspect my receipt, which states, "You were served by: Brian". Brian. That's a nice name. I look up again and I see him walking over to me.
"How was your coffee sir?" He questions, picking the empty cup up.
"It was lovely, thank you." I smile, nibbling at the piercing at the left side of my mouth while standing. "See you soon."
"Bye, have a lovely day." He replies and I walk out.

Brian's POV
Who was that guy? He's gorgeous. Ever since that day he came into the dingy little coffee shop I work at, I find myself hoping he'll come back again.
And he does. Exactly a week later, he arrives again. He steps inside and shakes the rain off his hood, and I almost double take at the thought that he's set foot inside this crappy little place again.
"Hello again!" I announce as he steps up to the counter. "What can I do for you today?"
He nibbles his snakebitten lip and says, "coffee please."
"Certainly." I smile, "milk again?"
"Yeah. Thanks."
"Sitting in or taking out?"
"Um, in again please."
"Sure." I say, and take the note he hands to me, handing over his coffee in the process.
"Thanks." He smiles, knocking the breath right out of me.

Zack's POV
Two days later and I'm back. Of course, it's raining again. That's all it ever does in this shitty town. I walk in and Brian greets me with a hearty smile.
"Coffee again?" He asks, a mischevous glint in his eyes.
"Yeah." I say, smiling.
"There's been a bit of a shortage in supplies at the moment, however," he says, "but we'll have some more in about five minutes, if you're okay with waiting?"
"Oh, of course, that's fine." I answer, paying and taking a seat.
Five minutes and many sneaky glances later, Brian walks over with a cup of coffee.
"Here you are, I'm really sorry for the wait." He says.
"Oh, that's fine." I reply. "It wasn't as long as the wait I had for the bus this morning."
He giggles at that. Like, a proper teenage girl giggle, and the sound of it makes me laugh as well.
"Yeah, public transport systems are awful, I'm leaving in a second but I'll have to wait about an hour for the bus, in the rain."
"Aw, that sucks. Maybe if this crappy weather eased up a little, that wouldn't be the case." I say, and then realise he's still standing. "If you like, you can sit here with me for a bit so you're waiting somewhere dry?" I ask and gesture towards the seat near to me.
"Yeah, that'd be nice... thanks." he says and sits.
"I'm Zack, by the way. Zack Baker." I say, sticking my hand out.
"Brian. I'm Brian Haner." He says, shaking my hand.
"It's lovely to meet you, Brian." I say, and before I can stop myself, I'm blurting out, "do you have a girlfriend?" and as soon as I've asked, I'm mentally facepalming at his confused expression.
"No. No, I don't. I, er-" he chuckles nervously, "I'm gay. You?" and he looks up, then curses, "I don't know why I told you that... I'm sorry."
"No, no it's fine." I assure. "I'm er- I'm gay too. So, um... you have a boyfriend then?"
He laughs merrily, "nope, no boyfriend, no girlfriend. Hell, I don't even have proper parents or a steady job. At least I have a house."
I laugh, and conversation is easy for a while. After almost an hour, I offer to walk him to the bus station, where we apparently take the same bus also. And then, as if fate wants us to have more time to spend together, it turns out that to get to his house, he has to walk past my house. So he ends up walking me all the way home and stopping for another twenty minute chat outside my front door.
"So-" he says, "would you... um-" I can hear how nervous he is, but I'm confused as to why.
"Yes?" I ask, eyebrows furrowing with confusion.
"Would you like to- oh my god, this is so cliche," he laughs at himself before carrying on, "would you like to maybe get coffee with me some time? We can get out of that shitty little place I work at, and go somewhere better..." and he trails off, eyes wide, mouth still moving but no sounds coming out.
"Wait. Is this the Brian Haner way of asking someone out on a date?" I ask with sass.
"Yes. Yes it is." He replies, eyes glittering. "So, will you go on this date with me, Zack Baker?"
"Of course I will." I shoot him a wide smile, which he returns, his chocolate brown eyes meeting my own.
"You know, I never got your phone number..."
"So you didn't!" I exclaim, and seize my phone, reading out the numbers to him as he taps them into his own phone.
"So I'll text you soon and arrange a day, that sound good?" he asks, his smooth voice nervous again all of a sudden.
"That sounds brilliant. I'll see you soon." I reply and walk into my house, leaning against the door when I push it closed behind me. I can not believe this is happening...

From: Unknown
To: Zack
Hey, it's Brian. I hope you don't mind me texting you so soon, but I got bored walking ALL THE WAY down the road with nothing to keep my hands busy...

That's cute. I save his number into my phone and slide down my door until I hit the floor. I figure I'll be here a while, since I'm way too lazy and comfortable to move right now.

From: Zack
To: Brian
Hello you! :-) No, it's absolutely fine. Well I'm just sat on my hallway floor right now. I sort of sat here when I got in and I really can't be bothered to move yet.

From: Brian
To: Zack
Yeah, that happens with me a lot... I'm not tired, until I get into my hallway, then I just get so exhausted that I have to have a recovery sit down on the way to bed, haha :)

I manage to heave myself somehow up the stairs, but I don't have much luck afterwards, so I just flop down on the bed, still fully clothed.
Eh. I'll get undressed in a minute.

From: Zack
To: Brian
Well I've managed to move now, I decided I'd have to or I'd just fall asleep there, and that's not so comfy, so I'm ON my bed. Not in it, on it.

From: Brian
To: Zack
Oh! I've just got in, and it looks like I JUST missed the rain, it started spitting about two minutes ago.

Seizing the chance while I have it, I strip off into my underwear and lie back down, under the blankets this time.

From: Zack
To: Brian
Ew, I hate rain. :( I'm not in my clothes any more! I'm suitable for bed now, yay!

From: Brian
To: Zack
Don't fall asleep on me! :(

From: Zack
To: Brian
I'll try not to, but I'm really tired :(

From: Brian
To: Zack
Drink some coffee? ;)

From: Zack
To: Brian
But the kitchen is so far away...

And with that, apparently I've fallen asleep...

Brian’s POV
Zack said he wouldn’t fall asleep, but after receiving no reply for twenty minutes, I’ve come to the conclusion that he has, so I crawl upstairs and dive into bed, letting the darkness take me into a world of sleep.

The next morning I wake up to a text saying, “I’m so sorry! Holy shit, I didn’t actually mean to fall asleep.”
“That’s fine, I fell asleep just afterwards anyway.” I reply, sliding out of bed and getting ready for yet another day at work.

--

“Hi, welcome to Costa Coffee, how can I help you?” I mutter, not looking up at the customer in front of me.
“How about some fucking enthusiasm?” comes a sarcastic response, and when I look up, I see Zack smirking at me.
“I don’t do enthusiasm.” I reply, smirking back. “Anyway, what can I get you? You’re holding up the damn line.”
He looks behind him. “There’s no line, Brian. And I thought I’d come meet you. So you don’t have to walk alone afterwards.”
“Oh.” I smile at him. Like, a genuine smile. “Thanks. That’s nice of you."
"So when do you finish?" He asks, face lighting up.
"About a half hour." I grumble.
"That's quite a while. Get me a coffee, would you?"
"Sure, no problem." I respond and pass him a coffee, taking the note he hands to me and handing him back his change.
"Okay, I'm getting evils from that guy that seems to be your boss, so I'll stop talking now and go sit down."
"All right." I laugh. "I'll see you in a bit."

--

"So, this date." I start, taking care to use the term lightly, almost as if I don't mean it. "When's it happening?"
"Woah, I thought you were deciding." He laughs, stopping his footsteps then quickening his pace to catch back up with me as we walk down the street.
"Well when are you free?" I ask patiently.
"Anytime."
"That's not much help, Zack." I chuckle.
"When are YOU free?" He responds, turning the question around.
"Saturday night."
"What, that's it? That's the only time you're free?" He asks, shocked.
"No. That's my suggestion. Saturday night."
"Saturday night it is." He stops outside of his house and smiles at me.
"Sounds good. Coffee or no coffee? I just think you'll get sick of it, considering you drink it too much."
"I reckon we should see a movie." He stammers.
"A movie? How extravagant." I reply cockily.
"Yeah, a movie." He replies, face flushing red. I reach out with both hands and tap his cheeks lightly.
"You're blushing." I inform him as if he doesn't know. "But I think we should go see a movie too. What's on?"
"Er-" he says, green eyes glittering as he nibbles his snakebitten lips. "I quite like the look of the new Spiderman that's coming out."
"Spiderman. Yeah, that's cool, I'll go for that."
"Nice." He smiles. "I'll check the times and then I'll text you, okay? I'll try not to fall asleep on you this time as well."
I laugh happily. "That'd be nice."
"See you soon." He smiles again and turns towards his front door, somehow dropping his keys on the way. Cursing, he bends down to pick them up and gives me a sly view of his ass. "Bye." I say, walking off and still smirking. I look around and catch him retreating into his house, snapping a light on as he enters.

--

Zack's POV
Today's the day. My first date in- god knows how long. It's been years. As soon as everyone in high school found out I was gay, no one wanted to date me, and I was treated like a freak. Of course, nothing got easier a few years later, and I'm lucky as fuck to have managed to grab a date with a guy like Brian. With a face like that, I'd definitely assumed he was straight, but apparently not. Standing in front of the mirror, I sigh. What does he want to date me for? Jesus fucking christ. Glancing at my watch, I gasp, noticing I have only twenty minutes to finish getting ready before Brian's going to be at my house. I slip into some black skinny jeans, worn converse, a Misfits t-shirt and a big hoodie.
Sure enough, he's here on time, honking his horn from outside of my house. I step outside, locking the door on the way, and smile as I see him leaning over to push open the car door on the passenger side.
"You look nice." I say. And he does. He's wearing black skinny jeans, white vans, and a white t-shirt under a black leather jacket.
"Thank you." He says, blushing slightly. "So do you."
I smile widely and buckle up the seatbelt. "Let's go, we'll miss the movie." I complain.
"We'll miss the ad breaks, at the most. I got here in plenty of time." He reassures me and starts driving.

--

"That movie was awesome!" I exclaim, stepping out of the building and into the dark night.
"It could have been worse, I guess." Brian says, leading the way to his car and opening the passenger door and letting me get in before closing it behind me and making his way to his own door.
"What, you didn't like it?" I ask, pouting a bit.
"No," he chuckles, "I liked it. But I prefer the other Spiderman movies."

He pulls up outside of my house, and when I hesitate to get out, he looks over at me.
"Come for a walk with me?" He asks politely. "Only for a little while. I'm just not quite ready for tonight to end... It's been a while since I had- hell, since I had a proper friend, really."
"Sure." I reply, stepping out of his car and waiting for him to get out and lock it. We walk to a river nearby, and we end up finding a bench and just sitting, talking about everything and nothing at the same time. It's amazing how I feel so comfortable around him already, when we've hardly known each other for a week. I feel like we've been friends for ages, and that I can trust him with everything.
"You know," he says, glancing at his phone, "we've been sat here for two hours now."
"What the fuck?!" I respond, and, as if right on cue, a huge yawn escapes my lips. "My ass is numb."
"I'll walk you home." He answers while standing, reaching out a hand to help me up. We talk as we walk, and I like that since he helped me up, he hasn't released my hand, he's simply intertwined our fingers. It makes my stomach do a funny, nervous dance and my heart threatens to jump out of my chest. My house appears much too soon for my liking.
"This is my stop." I say, turning to face him in the dim glow of the streetlight.

Brian's POV
"Um, Zack." I start. What the fuck am I doing? Why? Suddenly I've lost every ounce of confidence I've ever had.
"Yeah?" He asks, his breathtaking eyes boring into my own.
"I was wondering- well- shit, I don't know how to say this."
"Out with it."
"Um... I like you, okay."
"Okay."
"And I know we've not even known each other for long so I'm probably jumping too quickly and you'll probably run screaming for the hills-"
"I like you too." He cuts in. "I don't care that we haven't known each other for long. You're brilliant. I think you're brilliant, and every time I see you I get so happy."
"Would you consider, maybe... dating me?" I ask, raising my eyebrows as I attempt to study his reaction in the low light. He squeezes my hand and then releases it, before pulling me in for a hug. His arms wrap tightly around my shoulders as I wrap my own around his waist, surprised at the affection.
"Of course I will, Brian." He mumbles into my ear.
"Thank you." I say, the politeness coming out of nowhere.
"It's no problem." He replies, and turns his head just slightly, as I turn mine to meet his. Our lips connect in the softest, most gentle way possible, and it sends electric shocks shooting down my spine. It's only for a second, but it's the sweetest, most intimate thing I've ever experienced. He pulls away and smirks at me, leaving me dazed.
"Goodnight." He says cheerily and pecks me on the cheek before turning and walking into his house.
"I'll call you tomorrow." I blubber like an idiot, and he turns around before disappearing and nods at me, smiling a huge smile again, and he closes the door while I turn around and try to make my way dumbly out of his garden.