Status: Working on it. More to come!

Souls of the Departed

chapter 4: "my own fantasy away from reality"

That night Rema insisted she'd take Sasuke out for dinner as a belated birthday gift, though he fought against it as much as he could saying the cake she bought was enough but rather than be annoyed by her bickering at him the whole time he finally gave in and went to a local Applebee's.

Sasuke sighed looking at the menu not really knowing what he wanted, not the mention all the different voices in his head were screaming to get different things and was driving him insane. He didn't even notice he started bouncing his leg up and down since those occupying the same space as him were irritating him. That was at least until Rema noticed his behavior.

"Are you having withdrawals because you can't smoke in here?" she asked making him look up from the menu

"What?" he asked with any eyebrow rose

"You...and you're shaking leg. You're having withdrawals" she said and he stopped moving his leg finally realizing what he had been doing.

"I'm not having withdrawals. I was just thinking about something." He said "guess my body just started reacting on its own"

"I think you're having withdrawals" she said peaking over the top of the menu

He rolled his eyes and closed the menu, putting it down in front of him on the wooden table before he looked at her, "I'm going outside." She nodded and watched as he got up from his seat across from her and walked down the two small steps to the landing they were on before going out the restaurant.

"What am I going to do with that guy" she said before she shook her lead and looked back at menu in her hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Sasuke got outside he stood there for a few moments before he leaned against the wall next to the doors and pulled out cigarette and his lighter that once belonged to his father, the family insignia engraved onto it.

"This is such a deadly habit of yours" Garra suddenly said taking over Sasuke's body for a moment.

Sasuke sighed and leaned his head back against the wall. "Who the hell cares?" he asked

"We do?" garra said

"We do share the same body"

"Don't remind me…please" Sasuke retorted "besides is the damage really that bad in there?"

"No" Gaara said "there isn't any damage at all"

"Ok…well then it seems I have nothing to worry about. Luckily considering our background and skills I think it has something to do with that." Sasuke said going to put the cigarette in his mouth before Naruto budded in stopping him.

"It is an expensive habit though" Naruto said

"Well maybe I wouldn't have such an expensive habit if you all didn't annoy me on a daily basis!" Sasuke retorted "Will you leave me the hell alone…no one else is bothering me, not even Shikamaru is bothering me"

"That's because he doesn't care" Naruto said

"Shikamaru doesn't care about anything" Garra joked half heartedly and surprisingly made Sasuke chuckle.

When Sasuke was sure they wouldn't bother or interfere he put the cigarette and lit it, putting the lighter back in his pocket. He sighed and brushed his hair back, letting his own thoughts take him over before he heard a familiar cling or metal hit his ears, and for a moment he thought it was just a thought before he slowly came back to reality and the sound became much clearer.

He looked up and saw a woman he hadn't seen since he was in college after the incident that killed everyone on his team just so he could get a degree in engineering. This particular woman's name is Skyla Aviana.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skyla Aviana. Another female in my life I can't easily forget. Never have. She was always one for changing her hair style as well as its color, but one way or another she had to have her favorite color, teal in it. Currently, at the age of twenty two she had short choppy and layered hair that was black reaching up to her chin in length in a bob cut, with teal all throughout it, the ends looking like they were dipped in the color. She has a caramel skin tone and her eyes are hazel and she has a tattoo on her left wrist of her mother and father's name, on her back she had a black rose with a thorny vine going down her back as if it weaved itself through the skin and lastly the one of ankle of dragon wrapped around it. She's a nice person, but keeps to herself most of the time not really bothering with anyone, but tends to have a bite, despite her short size of 5'1, when irritated or around someone she doesn't like. Her hobbies include reading, listening to music and writing, though she also had a habit of collecting and wearing these metal bangles which always had a certain jingle or clink anytime she walked that was unique for some reason. Maybe it was because of the way she moved. Either way I never understood it, but that's how I was always able to tell when she was around. I spoke to her a few times back in college, running into her every Tuesday at Starbucks where she sat at the same corner table and had her over ear headphones on while she read whatever book she may have been reading at the time. I knew this much about her, besides her hobbies and her personality, she wanted to be work with animals at the aquarium as a Aquarist, pretty much be hands on with all sea creatures and what not. I never really got to talk to her to long because she either had to go to class or she was out doing something else. What it may be I don't know, but it kept her busy pretty often.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sasuke was surprised to say the least to see her again. Being that he graduated earlier the last time he saw her was when she nineteen years old. He looked at her as she walked by reading the book The Looking Glass Wars and, as always had her headphones on. He hesitated and put the cigarette out before he walked over to her and tapped her shoulder, making her stop in her steps and turn around looking up at him. She narrowed her eyebrows for a moment before she let off a little chuckle.

"You've gotten taller" she finally said, closing the book putting her finger in it to hold her place.

"And you…stayed the same" he said jokingly

"Hm..well I've accepted the fact I'll always remain this short, Mr. Uchiha" she said "so what brings you out at this hour in the city that never sleeps?"

"Out with a friend. She decided to take me to Applebee's as a belated birthday gift." He said gesturing toward the restaurant behind him with his head, making her eyes follow his gesture "and you?" he added continuing his small talk.

"Just heading home" she said nodding "just got out of the hospital actually. I had bronchitis"

"aw man…sorry to hear. That sucks." He said "I know the feeling"

"I bet you do" she laughed, before she pointed to box of cigarettes poking out of his pocket "-considering you bad habit and all…your still smoking those things?"

"Uh…yeah. Stress reliever" he said and she sighed, shaking her head lightly "A shame. A smart and talented guy like you who was a part of a Special Forces team shouldn't have to do something like this to make yourself feel better, but hey…that's just me. I have my books I escape to, my own fantasy away from reality."

"Sure it's best to do that?" he asked "get to sucked into a fantasy and reality might becoming depressingly disappointing"

Skyla chuckled and shook her head before she looked around her and then back at him "I've been to a lot of different places, seen and met a lot of different people and I walk around this city every day, Mr. Uchiha…reality already is depressingly disappointing" and with that said she waved before she turned on her heel and started walking off again leaving him to ponder on that last thought before he nodded to himself and went back inside the restaurant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You were gone for a little while. Hope there was something good out there" Rema said looking out the window trying to see if there was anything outside that may have peaked Sasuke's interest.

"Just a…reality check" he said sitting back down at the table

"That's great!" rema said looking at him "does that mean you're gonna stop smoking?"

He let off a slight laugh and then became serious just as quickly as he looked at her "keep dreaming"

She pouted and crossed her arms over her chest before leaning back in her seat, playfully glaring at him. "The menus are gone…did you order me something?" he asked her

"Yeah" she quickly said still glaring at him

"What?" he asked already taking a peak at the desert menu

"A nice hot dish of 'you're a bastard'" she said making him put the menu down

"Do me a favor" he said "look me in the eye."

"No" she said covering her eyes "I know what you're trying to do to me!"

He chuckled and nodded "you got me…all right. No one I know ever was able to catch me on that. Up top."

She laughed lightly before she high fived him getting a quick electric shock before she leaned her head against the table, letting her arm drop "damn. Chidori." She mumbled "I. hate. You."

"Well that worked out better than I planned" he said grabbing the menu again to look at it.

"I will…get you back" she said

"I bet you will, Shortcake…I bet you will"
♠ ♠ ♠
Please ignore any misspellings or typo's. thanks. ^_^