Status: Coming Soon

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Girlfriend?

At work I was all smiles, I couldn’t help it. Even though I slept with Steven before we went on a date I knew that this thing between us could turn into a relationship.

“You must have had fun at the game last night.” My father said seeing the smile when he came in from his rounds around noon. Justin was behind him with a knowing smirk on his face.

“It was a blast. They won.” I said trying not to blush.

“Well that’s good.” My dad smiled before making his way over to my mom and giving her a kiss hello.

“So did you and Stamkos have fun last night?” Justin whispered so only I could hear him. I just punched his arm which caused his smirk to grow but he did leave me alone so I could finish up the paperwork that needed to be done.

The rest of the day went along agonizingly slow, as very few calls came in giving me nothing to do. Right at five I packed up causing my mom to give me a confused look. She knew I never left this early unless I had plans which are usually rare and far in between.

“Where are you going in such a big hurry?” she asked with a hopeful look.

“I have a date.” I smile shyly. At this she couldn’t hide her excited expression.

“Is it with that cute guy who came in here the other day?” I smiled brightly and she knew the answer. “Beth I am so happy for you, you rarely go out with any of your friends anymore. I am glad you are getting out of this office.” I just nod at her with a small smile because I didn’t want to talk about that right now.

“See you tomorrow, Mom.” I gave her a quick hug before leaving to get ready for my date.

-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91

“Oh shit, what have I done?” I asked myself as I walked into my house. I had just cheated on Carissa, which I really didn’t care about because she had cheated on me before. But what I feel bad about is that Beth didn’t know I have a girlfriend.

Should I stop things with Beth, who I really like despite barely knowing her? Or do I throw away a year relationship with someone I believe I love?

“Fuck, I should just stick to hockey.” I mumbled pulling out my phone to call the only person I could trust with this dilemma.

“What’s up, loser?” Downey answered the phone. I had too much on my mind to reply with the same kind of candor.

“Hey, I need your help.”

“Of course man, what’s wrong?” he asked sensing the worry in my voice. I quickly described the situation that I had gotten myself into.

“So what do you actually love Carissa or do you love the idea of her?” Downey asked confusing me.

“What do you mean idea of her?”

“It’s the idea of having someone waiting at home for you after a tough loss or a long road trip.” Downey answered which made me think even more. It is nice having someone to come home too but Carissa annoys me when I come home from a long road trip. But at least I am not alone when I am home.

After a few seconds of me not answering Downey spoke again. “If it is taking this long for you to figure that out I think you actually know the answer to it.” He paused. “Can I saw something without you getting upset?”

“Go for it.” I said now nervous about the words that were going to leave his mouth.

“I don’t like Carissa.” He said simply.

“Why?” I wondered trying to figure out why I wasn’t upset about what he had just said when I knew I should have been if I truly loved Carissa.

“Frankly she is a bitch, and a control freak.” He stated. That simple statement reminded me of the last time I saw him, he wanted to go out for beers to catch up with me but she wouldn’t let me. Telling me I always go out without her and never make time for her anymore, which was a complete lie.

“So what you’re saying is I should break things off with Carissa and try things out with Beth?” I asked to make sure I was getting the right information.

“Yes, Steven. I have a feeling you will be lot happier without Carissa in your life.” He told me honestly.

“Thanks Laundry.” I joked lightening the mood.

“Any time Bud.” He said before hanging up.

So I have made my decision, once Carissa comes home from Vegas I am going to break things off with her. At this decision I felt a weight lift of my shoulder that I have been dealing with for a long time and didn’t know the cause of it.

The rest of the day passed surprisingly fast since I stayed busy doing an interview and photo shoot for a Tampa Bay magazine. And before I knew it I was at Beth’s picking her up for our first date. I knocked on her apartment door and waited a few moments before Beth opened her door.

91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91

“Hey Beth” Steven said with his million dollar smile when I answered my door. He was wearing dark wash jeans with a baby blue button down shirt and his hair was spiked to perfection.

“Hi Steven” I blushed. I had no idea why I was blushing but then again I remembered last night and a small smile formed on my lips.

“This is for you.” He handed me a bouquet of blue and white flowers. How did he know these were my favorite color? Then I laughed because I realized the reason he probably chose those colors.

“So did you get blue and white ones to match your team’s colors?” it was his turn to blush before he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Kind of” he looked down before continuing. “I don’t know your favorite color so when I was at the florist I got you my favorite colors instead.

“I love them” I smiled reassuringly which rewarded me with a smile back. “Let me just put them in water and then we can go.” He nodded as I left him standing in the living room.

91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91

As I stood in the living room waiting for Beth I noticed her walls were covered in photographs. Her and her parents, even her in and alligators and snakes but there were none of her friends. She came back in when I was looking at a picture of her kissing the nose of a massive gator.

“That’s Brutus.” Beth said bringing me back to reality. “He was the biggest alligator I have ever caught. He is still with us at the pond behind the office.”

“Just to let you know I will never ever get that close to Brutus.” This caused her to smile wide.

“Why is somebody scared?”

“Very.” I smiled back at her. “Are you ready to go?” she nodded. “Well than let’s got beautiful.” I grabbed her hand and interlocked our fingers.

The entire way to the restaurant we chatted about random things. From her family, to her favorite TV show. Even through dinner the conversation never slowed. It has been the most relaxing time I have had in a really long time. Every time I would go out to eat with Carissa she would bitch about not having the latest iPhone or not buying those pairs of Jimmy Choo’s we passed on out ‘long’ walk to the restaurant.

“The only thing Beth complained about was that she lost her favorite pair of Old Navy flip flops. Carissa would have flipped out if she was wearing anything from Old Navy. Everything she wore had to be designer or she would implode.

“Well your flip flops will show up at some point.” I told her after she said that.

“Unless Brutus swallowed them whole there is no point in waiting for them.”

“When you said lost them, I didn’t think you meant an alligator ate them.” I said shocked while something else about her statement clicked into place. “How could Brutus eat your flip flops without eating your feet?”

“I wasn’t wearing any shoes at the time.” She stated as if it was common sense that she wouldn’t be wearing shoes while she was near an alligator.

“Not wearing any shoes around an alligator doesn’t seem like a very smart idea.”

“That’s the way I wrestle alligators.”

“Are you crazy?”

“Not at all.” She smirked but continued on. “I have better reaction time when I’m not wearing any shoes. The one time I wore shores I got bit.” She lifted up her left arm and showed me the huge scar that I didn’t notice before.

“That makes me feel a lot better. No more wearing shoes around alligators.” I warned her jokingly.

“Oh really?” She asked suspiciously.

“Really, I would prefer to have my girlfriend around rather than food for the gators.

“Girlfriend?” she asked with a big smile on her face.

“If you want to be.” I said looking down suddenly extremely nervous but when I looked up she was nodding up and down slowly as if she was nervous.

“Well then girlfriend, why don’t we head out.” I could feel the dopey smile forming on my face.

“Would you like to go back to my place boyfriend?” her smile matched mine.

“Sounds like a plan.” I answered before pulling her into a passionate kiss.

91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91

The next couple of days passed by way too fast, spending as much free time with Beth as possible. Beth however couldn’t make it to my game last night because she took the night shift at the rescue but that didn’t stop her from texting me while she sat at the office watching the game. By the time I got to my phone after the game I had 17 texts from Beth alone making comments about the game that she would have probably yelled if she was at the game.

Right after the game the team and I flew out to Philadelphia to start our road trip.

Text from Beth

Have you had any cheesesteaks from the original place yet?


Of course Philly food would be the things she wondered about.

Text to Beth

No, the originals suck.

Reply from Beth

Well that’s really depressing

Text to Beth

Tell me about it. :(


The entire road trip was spent like that. Random text conversations about each other and the cities I was in. Every city I was in Beth had a weird fact about it, which made me laugh each and every time I learned the new fact.

Tonight was the last game of the road trip against Boston. I couldn’t wait until it was over because I was so ready to head back to Tampa. I haven’t been so excited to head back there in a really long time.

Once I get back I am going to break things off with Carissa, when I see her tomorrow morning. We haven’t spoken with each other since the snake incident, which makes my decision to break things off that much easier.

“Ready to go home Stammer?” My roommate asked me as we starting changing in our suits for the game.

“Yeah.”

“Well than lest end this road trip on a high note, eh?” he said with a smile as my phone went off. It was form Beth. I smiled and quickly opened it, expecting the her normal good luck text just like every other game day.

Text from Beth

Carissa seems nice. Have a nice life, ASSHOLE!


“Fuck!” I yelled causing my roommate to look at me with a worried expression but I just shrugged him off as I tried calling Beth to explain, but it went immediately to her voice mail.

Text to Beth

Please let me explain. I didn’t mean for any of this to happen.


I continued to call her phone but she probably turned it off. Now I really needed to go back to Tampa to fix the best thing that has ever happened to me and get rid of the person that has been holding me back. But what if I can only do one of those two things? Will Beth really forgive me? I wouldn’t forgive me if I was her.

What have I done?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. I was gone camping so I couldn't update until I got internet.

Comment and Subscribe.

<3