Status: Coming Soon

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Meanings of Flowers

Today was the day I was finally able to go home. After laying in a hospital bed for 2 weeks and 3 days I was more than ready to leave the white walls and way too sterile environment. Steven would be at the hospital anytime he wasn't playing hockey or sleeping, he was here with me, keeping me company.

However today he was going on an 8 game road trip so Justin was bringing me home to the rents house, since I can't stay on my own right now. As much as I love my mom, I know that she is going to stick her nose in my business, and I really didn't need that right now.

"You ready to go home?" the young Doctor asked walking into my room.

"Yes" I over exaggerated.

"Thought so." he smiled at me warmly, "Justin is just signing the release papers and you will be free to go."

"Thank you." I smiled happily for the first time in which felt like days. I knew getting out of the hospital and spending a few days away from Steven would help me clear my mind and give me some more perspective.

"No problem, I would say see you soon, but I'd rather not see you in here again." His smile was more playful this time. Every time he would check up on me during my stay, he would flirt with me. When Steven was in the room with me he would tense up like was ready to go all out and fight for my honor.

"Yeah, I think I am going to stay away from hospitals for a long time." I smiled trying not to lead him on. He was nice and all but I still had to figure out what was between Steven and I.

"Look Beth, I know this is inappropriate of me," oh shit I knew where this was headed. "but I was wondering if..." luckily for me my brother chose that moment to walk into the room.

"Alright sis, you are all signed out, time to leave the comfort of the hotel." Justin said all jokes as I sent a silent prayer."

"Remember no strenuous activity for a 3 more weeks and then slowly work your way back to your normal routine." the Doctor reminded me frazzled.

"Of course, Doc." I said as Justin helped me from the bed to the wheel chair I had to be in. Without another word Justin pushed me out of the room and out of the hospital. Before I knew it, I was in the comforts of my childhood home feeling a lot better than I have in many weeks.

Later that night as I was lying in bed, my phone rang with a random number. Thinking it could be Steven from his hotel I decided to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hi, um, is this Beth Markham?" came a guys voice that I vaguely recognized.

"Yes, may I ask who is wanting to know?"

"Of course, I am Stamkos' friend Steve Downie." he replied and my breath caught, why would Steve Downie be calling. "I just wanted to explain something to you, without Stammie knowing I called." he explained quickly before I could say anything.

"Ok" I said a bit confused before he went off on the story of what happened after I met him, and how Steven had a plan of breaking up with Carissa and how Carissa begged him to let her stay until she found a place to live. "Why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"I thought you should know the full story, but I didn't think Stamkos would ever get the chance to tell you." I should be insulted by this accusation but I knew it was the truth, I wouldn't have let Steven to explain the whole story.

"Thank you." I said honestly.

"You're welcome." he paused "And Beth, I have never seen Steven care about anybody more than he cares about you." at that my breath caught in my throat. "Please give him another chance." and he hung up the phone.

91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91

"You seem happy today." St. Louis stated as our plane started it's decent. We are finally coming home from an 8 game road trip that had lasted 2 and a half weeks. "And it's not the same happy you get when we are coming home from a road trip." He knew me too well.

"Beth got out of the hospital the day after we left." A smile grew on my face just thinking about her. "I convinced her brother to let me take care of her tonight and cook dinner for her."

"That's good." St. Louis smiled at me, "how much did it cost you for her brother to agree." he asked knowing that her brother still pretty much hated my guts, fuck I still hated my guts for what I put Beth through.

"Just a couple weeks worth of free tickets and a jersey." I said knowing it was a small price to pay if that meant I got to spend time with Beth away from the hospital and other people even if it was only for a couple of hours.

"Well I hope you enjoy your time with Beth tonight." St. Louis said getting up and grabbing his belongings before leaving the plane. I quickly followed suit, turning on my phone in the process.

When it was finally turned on I had a missed call from Downie text from Justin.

From: Justin

Hey, I took Beth to physical therapy. No one will be there when you get there but I left the back door unlocked so you could get in.

To: Justin

Thank you!!


I quickly replied as I said my goodbyes to my teammates and made my way through the airport. Quickly stopping at home to change I made my way to the grocery store to get ingredients for dinner. I had one more stop to make before I went to Beth's parents house.

"Hi, Mrs. Oshum." I said walking through the door of the florist I have visited many times in the past weeks buying the same flowers for Beth so she had a little life in her hospital room.

"Back again, Steven." the elderly lady smiled at me as she headed towards the flowers I always get.

"I am," I gave her the smile not many people see. Mrs. Oshum reminded me of my own grandmother, she sat with me and listened to what happened to Beth when I had a little freak out in the her store, a couple days after the accident. Ever since than I have been coming here on a regular basis just to talk to her. "However I am not getting the same flowers."

She gave me a quizzical look. "Really?" she asked skeptical.

"Beth's out of the hospital and I am cooking dinner tonight." I explained. She nodded and made her way throughout the shop picking up random flowers and setting them back down as she went.

"I know just the thing." She sing-sang happily. I just watched knowing that I could trust her in what flowers she would choose for Beth.

Without letting me see the flowers she chose she went in the back to make up the bouquet and within minutes she came back with it all done except it being wrapped. She quickly described which each flower in the bouquet meant. I was right she did understand me. I paid, and kissed her on her cheek before leaving the shop to head over Beth's parents.

When I got there, I put the bouquet in the vase I bought and put it on the table before I made my way into the kitchen to make my dinner. As I was turning off the stove, the front door opened.

"Mmm it smells good in here, mom." Beth said hobbling into the kitchen without looking up.

91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91

I hobbled into the house in my walking boot as Justin drove off in need to help by dad with a gator and a wonderful smell hit me. "Mmm, it smells good in here, mom." I said making my way carefully into the kitchen.

"Let's hope it tastes as good as it smells." a voice that defiantly didn't belong to my mother said. I looked up and saw Steven standing there in jeans and a nice button down shirt placing a pot on the table that was set for two. I could feel my face light up.

Even though I wanted space from him a couple weeks ago, I couldn't stand being away from him anymore. Ever since Downie called I took his words to heart, and I knew that I couldn't be happy without Steven in my life.

"I thought you guys didn't get back until tomorrow." I said making my way over to him.

"I just said that so I could surprise you." He said setting the pot down on the table.

"You did surprise me." I smiled at him as he pulled out a chair for me to sit in before he took the seat next to me.

"I am glad." he said taking my hand as he dished me out the meal he made, which was penne with roasted asparagus and chicken.

"Steven.." I start but he cuts me off.

"Let's talk after dinner, right now I just want to enjoy your company." He said slightly nervous, which made me super nervous.

After dinner, I was about to start talking when Steven pointed to the flowers that were on the table. "Do you know what those flowers mean?" he asked looking me directly in the eyes, I shook my head no. "That purple one is called a Hyacinth, it means 'I am sorry, and please forgive me.' I am sorry and I really hope you can forgive me. What I did was wrong but I did have a plan to break up with Carissa. The baby's breath means 'happiness' which I have never been happier than when I am with you. That orange and red flower is called bittersweet and it means 'truth'. I promise from now on I will always tell you the truth because I love you, that's why there is a red rose in the center." I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

"Steven." I whispered. "I forgive you." when I said that I watched as his face lit up with hope. "These past couple of weeks and the weeks before when I didn't see or speak to you were unbearable. I can't imagine going through life like that. Even though you have been in my life for a very short time, you have made yourself a very important piece of my life. Even though this is going really fast I love you too."

"Really?" he asked and I just nodded as I watched a tear slip down his cheek. He quickly wiped it away before pulling me in and kissing me.

"Honey we are home." My mom called just moments after Steven's lips hit mine.

"We're in the kitchen." I yelled back as I heard footsteps head our way. "Steven, it's nice to see you again." My mother smiled at him.

"Same Mrs. Markham." he said standing up and giving her a small hug before shaking my dad's hands.

"There is extra food in the refrigerator for you guys." he smiled as he took my hand.

"Thank you." my mom smiled before heading over to heat up the food.

"I have to go, Beth." Steven said sadly.

"Already?" I asked just as sad.

"I have practice at 7am tomorrow and it's been a long travel day." he said, I quickly looked at the clock and noticed it was already 10:30.

"I'll walk you out." I told him, then he said his goodbyes to my parents.

"I love you, Beth." he told me when we got out to his car.

"I love you too, Steven." with that he gave me a sweet kiss goodnight before taking off in his car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another chapter. I decided to drop the books for the night after 4 midterms and write a chapter. Comments are much appreciated.

<3