Keep Me in Your Skin

April 23rd, 2009

We were twenty and lonely and at a coffee shop.

"Aren't you a sight for sore eyes?" he'd chimed in my ear, nearly spilling his peppermint latte in his haste to hug me. I was engaged to another man, but he ignored me half of the time, and Wade was here, looking at me the same way he had on the night we first met.

The two of us sat down to talk, our knuckles bumping together every so often when we reached for our cups at the same time. He told me how he had broken up with Kenna last summer, explained that all he'd thought about was me and our strange night together at that party, even years after the fact.

Then he grabbed my hand and flipped it over, pressed his palm on top of mine and linked our fingers loosely. "I heard you got engaged," he mumbled. "I'm not that guy, but I will be if you ask me to."

I blinked at him curiously. I still wasn't that girl, the one that cheated, but I invited him back to my apartment anyway, told him how Daniel was on a business trip and didn't even call to check in with me. But he didn't want to go there, to taint my home like that, or so he said.

Instead, Wade threw our coffee cups away and grabbed my hand, pulled me towards the men's bathroom with a slanted smile that reminded me of that night way back when. It didn't disappear until he locked the stall behind us and leaned in to kiss me.

When he pulled away for air, his dark eyes flicked across my face before he smiled that slanted smile once more. "I think I might be in love with you," he whispered against my lips, brushing his thumb across my cheekbone. I tucked my head under his chin and wrapped my arms around his waist.

"I think I might be in love with you, too," I answered after a while, angling my head so I could see his face. He pressed his lips hard into mine and pulled me towards him by the hips, as if we could melt together into one person.

We were twenty and lonely and at a coffee shop.