Status: Work in progress

Like A Firework

Run From The Siren

~Xander's POV~
My head snapped toward the tornado siren in the middle of our small town. It's high-pitched warning squeal of sheer terror disabled me for a short moment before I jumped from my spot on the riverbank. I watched the funnel-cloud form and spin with such a wild rapidity it seemed God himself had sent his wrath upon our religious little town. It was reaching down.

I followed its path with my eyes and had to run forward to meet the place it would touch down. Laying there was a little girl, screaming almost as loudly as the siren and crying for her mother. I pushed myself against my initial instincts to save only myself and ran for her. She fought against me and reached for the woman on the rock she was kneeling beside. I moved to pull the mother in as well, but I was too slow. I was fighting against the forces of nature, and man never prevails in the end.

I chose the girl over her mom and tore out, pulling the little girl toward the tornado shelter. She was fighting me with a strength paralleled only by the scream of the tornado behind us. I remember a small almost whimper that echoed with it as her mom was ripped away from earth. I remember throwing myself on top of the girl as we entered the shelter underground. I remember doing a slow head count. Two were missing. The doors slammed closed. My eyes shut. I blacked out.