Raised by Wolves

Two

Jethro had repeated the exact words that Sam said. Surprisingly, he wasn’t sure if he did believe it. He was willing to accept anything but what she said, was just straight out impossible. “You were raised by wolves? Are you going mad? Should I be nervous?”

“Jethro!” Sam was upset at him for reacting like this. He shouldn’t have been as surprised as she thought but she knew that it was to be expected.

“Go on. I believe you. So, like, I take this literally?”

Sam sat back in the chair and closed her eyes. “Werewolves.” She smiled. “I was raised by werewolves. It was safe, as long as I didn’t get them mad or I wasn’t around them on the night of a full moon.”

“My parents died when I was a baby. I have no idea how though. For all I know, I was there and
I survived. That’s what this scar is from.” Sam unbuttoned the top of her shirt, and revealed a long line of a scar running down the inner side of her breast.

Although she didn’t show anything inappropriate, Jethro began to smile in embarrassment and looked away.

Sam felt his embarrassment, feeling like this seemed stupid. She re-buttoned the top of her shirt again and looked at him. “Forget about it.”

Jethro had covered his mouth but he looked back at her. “No, go on. What next?”

‘Well, I grew up with one brother and my guardians, all who are werewolves, and we have a cat.

She looks like she was punched in the face. I wouldn’t be surprised. When a human turns to wolf, they can be rather violent. I lived life how I would have as if I was a child of divorced parents. There was only one night in a month when I would have a babysitter for the whole night. Finally, I got old enough to take care of myself.”

Jethro got relaxed and closed his eyes. “I’m listening.”

“That’s just about it, Jethro.”

“Sammy, I want to hear descriptions. It’s not every day you talk to someone who knows werewolves.”

She sighed loudly and looked at Jethro apologetically. “I just don’t want to bore you with random ass stories that I find important but you don’t.”

“If it’s important to you, it’s important to me.” He said it so monotone that Sammie couldn’t tell if
he was being his old sarcastic self or if he actually meant every word that came out of his mouth.

Unsure on what to do, she began to play with her hair. “Ok, but if I do start to bore you to a literal death, please stop me before I make you into a zombie.”

“I like zombies. Zombies are cool. Zombies do whatever the hell they want to do and don’t give a shit.”

“Then again, zombies don’t have a functioning brain.”

“Sure they do. Without it, they would be dead.”

It seemed that Jethro had a mind of his own. No one really saw things the way he did. “But Jethro, zombies are dead.”

His eyes were still shut tight. “Whatever you say. Anyways, please go on with your story.”

It was tough for Sam to go on. Worried that he would fall asleep, but she kept on anyways.

*******************************************

I was 12 the first time I stayed home by myself during a full moon. I’ll admit I had just about as much fear as anyone would have who knew that danger fed on those that knew about it. There was no one there to protect me if anything would have happened.

Perhaps my instinct took over me that night because I began to run for my life when maybe there was nothing after me. Just the thought that death would be after me at one time or another and it would long before expected was enough to get me going. Possibly that night was my time and because of it, if I was to go down, I would go down fighting.

It was a peculiar night no doubt. I remember the roaring clattering of thunder and yet no rain. My feet pitter pattered as I ran anywhere my heart desired to go.

I found myself at the edge of the blackened woods where I sat down on the border of the meadow. Every few minutes, I would hear a howl of a wolf calling its pack over or just crying at their brother they knew as the moon. I wasn’t too frightened anymore and I actually felt safe knowing that I was as close to my family as I could be.

Being the silly child that I was, I cupped my mouth together and howled as best as I could. Just a few short seconds later, a hand rested on my shoulder and gave me a shock. I turned around to see a tall and much older person. At that age, he looked like an adult but knowing what I know now, he was 17.

He seemed a little worried. “Why are you out here alone and why did you howl? There are wolves out there. Wouldn’t want to see them anywhere near you, now wouldn’t you?”

I stood up and smirked at him. “They’re much more intelligent than wolves.”

“I don’t really care what they are. All I know is that you shouldn’t be out here. Where are your parents?” He looked around the field for them to see if they were even outside with me.

“They went out for the night.”

Surprised, the kid put a hand on his head. “They left you alone? Let me take you home.”

“I was told never to talk to strangers. You’re a stranger.”

The guy helped me on my feet. “I’m Ryan Seaman. Call me stranger no more. What’s your name?” He added a widely stretched smile on his face.

“Sam Jordan, but I don’t want to go home. Can’t you feel it?”

Ryan slowly dropped his smile to a frown and looked deeply into my eyes although he was trying to find the answers in me. Finding he was stumped by the odd question, he made a quick comment. “I guess, yeah. It’s a little chilly out.”

I lifted my index finger to my lip and whispered, “There’s magic out here. Perhaps it’s black and that’s what makes the sky dark at night. The stars aren’t gases, but spells being casted, taunting werewolves from light years away.”

He looked up at the sky and his jaw dropped. He was deep in thought thinking about this theory of a 12 year old. It was definitely a nice thought but so haunting. “You should write that down. It might come in handy one day.”

Ryan shook his head to the right of him. “Come on, let me take you home.”

I forcefully looked at him then and made my decision. “No!”

The thunder had gotten closer and a bucket of rain began to fall on us. In only a few seconds, the rain had engulfed into little puddles in the grass and had soaked our hair completely.

I closed my eyes as I heard the howl of my family. It pained me to know that they were out there in the rain and they would be there all night unless they found some shelter.

Ryan took off his jacket he was wearing and handed it to me. I covered my head with it. “Now come on. It’s pouring. I’m not leaving without you and I plan to leave this moment.”

I took his hand and we ran through the field and I led him to my house. The rain hadn’t calmed down when we bust down the door for shelter. “Sit down while I make some hot chocolate.”

After a few minutes, I returned with a towel and some clothes. “I’m not sure these will fit but at least you’ll be warm.”

“Thanks, do you have anywhere for me to change?”

“Down the hall, second door to the right.”

As I awaited his return, I couldn’t believe that I had let him into the house. That was basically the number one rule in the house. Never let a stranger in.

I remembered that the milk was boiling on the stove. I stood up and headed over to pour the milk into 2 mugs and got the powdered chocolate from the cupboard. It made the house smell peaceful.

When I got back to the living room, Ryan was sitting on the couch, rubbing his hair dry with the towel. When he saw me looking at him from the door way, he put the towel down and stood up to greet me but when I handed him the mug, he just fell down.

I sat beside him and sipped the hot beverage lightly as to not burn my lips.

“You look too young to be up this late. It’s almost one in the morning.”

“I don’t think my bedtime concerns you and if it does, you can feel free to leave.”

His eyes widened. “You’re right. It’s completely inappropriate for me to be here right now. I’m sure your parents would not approve. After all, they don’t know me.” Ryan stood up, setting the mug down on the table. “Thank you, Sam Jordan, for your hospitality.” He was at the door and just about to open it.

“Hold on. I didn’t mean to be rude. Sit down and finish your hot chocolate.”

Doing as told, Ryan sat back down and lifted up his cup but didn’t drink from it when he looked over at me. “Are you scared of being alone?”

My eyes bulged out. “Of course not. That’s insane.”

“Right.” He sipped the hot chocolate and let out a little laugh.

I picked up the remote control and turned on the TV. Clicking through the channels till I found something to watch, I couldn’t stop myself from thinking about Ryan. “This is going to sound crazy, but, can you stay until I fall asleep?”

“Why would you want me to do that?”

“I suppose I’m a little scared.” Finally I found the perfect movie. “Are you ok with Nightmare Before Christmas?”

A smile rose from his face. “Yeah. Actually, it’s one of my favourites.”

Half an hour through the movie, I fell asleep. I was lying across the couch, my feet were rested upon Ryan.

I woke up the next morning to find that I was alone and there was a blanket rested over me. I looked up at the clock to find it was noon. My family should have been home already.

Peering out the window, there were policemen, an ambulance, people standing around, and it all looked like a complete murder scene.

A knock came from the door and I immediately answered. A woman dressed very nice and businesslike was who I was staring in the face.

“Hi, you must be Sam Jordan.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the views and the subs on this. I'm really hoping you guys like this story.