Sequel: Veiled Love

Masked Love

Crushed

By the next morning, the rain is cleared up and the ground is dry. Happiness seems to make everything brighter. The flowers are more vivid the sky seems bluer than it has ever been before. As I lie in my bed and stare into nothingness, my mind wanders to the events of the day before. Are they real? Could someone like Luca really be in love with me? My thoughts continue to race in my head as I get up and get ready for the day ahead of me. To everyone else in the palace the day must seem like any other, but to me it is the beginning of a new part of my life. I look at myself in the mirror. I touch my face; examining the places he touched it. I look at my hands that he had held just last night. Everything around me remained unchanged but I have never felt this different.

After putting one of my nicer dresses and trying to look presentable, I head to the garden to see if breakfast is ready for the royal family. The garden is lovely. The air is fresh and cool from the rain. No matter where I go, I can’t help but smile. Life seems so complete now. When I reach the tables, I see Adèlie setting up plates and glasses. I practically run over to her. “Addie!”

“Nikki! Where have you been? I heard you came in soaking wet last night and Korine was furious. You didn’t even go to her when you got back. Why are you smiling? You are in so much trouble!” She is right. When I had gotten back last night, I knew I couldn’t go to Korine dripping, so I went straight to my room. As I was changing into a new dress I realized how tired I was and fell asleep. However, my mood remains the same. How could I be upset or worried when I had just had the greatest day of my life?

“I was out with Luca.” I pull her in closer and whisper. “It was so romantic. He and Noé set up a small camp with a fire by the lake. We rode on the same horse and he told me he loved me.” My smile grows and her eyes widen.

“I can’t believe it! What does this mean? What about Korine?”

“I don’t want to think about the future right now. I just want to focus on today and how happy I am. When is the last time I was really truly happy?”

“I honestly can’t remember. Maybe when you found that willow grove. We used to go there every day. Do you remember?”

“Wow, it has been a while since we’ve been there. But even then, my happiness wasn’t like this. I am in love, Addie. I can’t describe this feeling.”

“And you are late. I know how it feels to be in love. I’m in love too. But I do not want this prince to get you into trouble. So go wake up Korine and make up some excuse for your absence yesterday.” She smiles and pushes me into the kitchen.

While running to Korine’s room I trip twice and tare a bit of my sleeve. My now not so presentable look is quickly forgotten and easily ignored. I am too happy to be upset. But when I finally reach the princess’s room, my thoughts immediately change. What am I supposed to say? I have no idea of what to do or how to act. My arm shakes as I raise it to knock on the door, yet as it gets closer another hand wraps around mine. The comforting and recognizable touch startles me and I turn to see my love looking at me. For a second my hearts swells and I can’t keep the smile off my face. Then, I realize where we are and my whole demeanor falls, and so does his.

“What are you doing here?” My frantic voice is little more than a whisper.

“Catching you so we can exchange stories. I can’t have you going in there and us having different alibies.” He seems more scared than I am.

“Ok. I went out for a ride and when it got dark I got lost. You overheard my mother worrying and you went out to look for me.” It seems sound. My breathing slows as I go over it again in my head.

“Ok, and I’ll fill in what I was doing before I went out looking. Sparing in the stables with a squire.”

“Is everything ok now? I need to get in before she wakes up.” He smiles mischievously and looks around. When he realizes we are alone he tilts my head up and gently kisses me.

“Now, everything is ok. I’ll see you at breakfast.” He walks away and I am, yet again, overwhelmed by him. Confidently, I knock on Korine’s door and open it. To my dismay she is already awake.

“Where have you been?” She does not yell. She does not stutter. It is as if she is simply put out.

“I woke up late. My head was hurting from the cold last night.”
“And what happened to you last night? I heard from the guard that you came in with the Prince soaking wet.” This time she sounds upset.

“I went for a ride and I got lost.”

“You have lived here for practically your entire life. How do you get lost?” Her voice gets a little louder. I grow frightened.

“It was dark your highness. The rain and the wind left me confused and sick. I was scared and lost my bearings.” I can hear the hesitancy in my voice. I just keep praying I’m the only one who can.

“If it was any other servant I would put my guard up. But I know you Nicole. We are so close. I trust you. You would never lie to me.” By the end of her speech, she seemed to be talking to herself.

“Are you ok, Korine?”

“Luca has been acting strange. I’m so worried about next week. What if he decides against marrying me? What will I do? I will be the laughing stock of the kingdom.” She grows frantic and grabs my hand. “I cannot lose my dignity. It would be the end of me. Who would want to marry someone who was rejected?” There are so many feelings and thoughts that I am feeling. I do not want to speak but I know what I have to say.

“Everything will be ok. Next week you’ll be engaged and on your way to Italy.”

“We’ll be on our way. I need you Nicole. What would I do without you?”

“Of course miss.” I curtsy and leave quietly, my dreams crushed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long. College is pretty hectic but i'm finally back. :D