Sequel: Veiled Love

Masked Love

Masquerade

Luca’s plan is far from simple. In the short amount of time that we have I have to learn to speak Italian fluently and he must try to convince his mother to understand why he is not marrying Korine. We accomplish a lot, but there are still many variables. Korine will have guards looking out for me and she has given me an enormous work load for the night of ball. There are times when I lose hope. At times, Luca finds me alone and crying not knowing what to do. Only he can console me. His whole demeanor changes when he thinks about the ball. He is so full of hope and happiness and he never tells me why. I try to go along with everything in a positive way, but as the days pass by and the time of the ball draws nearer, it becomes harder to stay strong.

Finally the night before the ball arrives and final preparations are being done around the palace. Many go to sleep early for the long day ahead, but I go to the kitchen. I’ve hardly eaten for days but my body doesn’t feel hungry. I nibble on some bread but even that is hard to get down. I watch as the last cook and kitchen maid leave, knowing Luca would be here at any moment. This has been the safest place for us since we were found in the gardens.

“Nicola, è che si?” He calls for me in Italian.

“Sono vicino al fuoco.” I quickly wipe my eyes. I hate it when he sees me cry. I always feel weak. I expect to see Luca practically jumping for excitement. However, tonight seems different. He does not look right. His eyes are swollen and his cheeks stained with tears. “Qual è il problema?” For a moment he smiles at my Italian, but his face saddens once more.

“I used to think that nothing could stop us. We were meant to be, so obviously everything would work out. And I am not saying that we aren’t meant to be together, but what if something goes wrong? I will not let anything happen to you. If someone were to hurt you I’d want to kill them. What if I hurt you? How could I live with myself?” The tears being to fall and I am in shock. What could I say?

“Luca,” I wipe away some falling tears and turn his face to look at me. “you could never hurt me. I don’t think you are even capable of hurting me. Nothing that will hurt me would be your fault. We will be fine. No matter what happens, nothing can keep us apart again. You have always been in my heart and always will be.”

“Nicola, I love you. I will never stop loving you. No matter what happens tomorrow you must remember that.” His voice grows firm yet needy, and I grow worried.
“You’re beginning to frighten me. What is going to happen tomorrow at the ball?” My breathing quickens and I begin to faint.

“I need to announce my engagement.”

“Why didn’t you tell me before? What are we going to do?” In the midst of all the preparation I had forgotten the whole point of the ball. Korine had even forgotten to mention it in her usual jabs. The guests are going to be noble men and women coming to celebrate to joining of two nations. All of the hope I had rushes out of me at once, leaving me winded. Luca sees my expression and takes my hands gently. His attitude changing from depressed to strengthened.

“It was supposed to be a surprise. I am going to make my engagement public. My engagement, not to Korine, but to you.” Time seems to stop. He lifts me up so I am standing as he kneels down. “Nicola, I have loved you since we were five years old, and I will love you for the rest of my life. Will you marry me?” In his hand he holds a ring. It is more beautiful than I have ever imagined. The band is silver with engraved vines spiraling around it. In the middle is a red stone carved to resemble a rose. The tears stream down my face but I smile like I never have before.

“Yes! Yes! Yes! Of course my love! Yes” I jump into his arms and I feel so light I could fly. He holds me as if he’ll never let me go and carries me back to my bedroom.

*****

When I wake up the next morning, everything feels like a dream. Could I really be engaged? Is it possible that I am extraordinarily happy and will be happy for the rest of my life? The only thing that gives me proof that last night existed, is the tiny ring on my finger. It fits so perfectly. As I examine it, I recognize the symbol. It is the crest of Luca’s royal line. This was serious. As much as I want to keep it on, the risk is too great. With all the guests arriving from Italy, it is sure to be noticed.

Before I am able to slip it off of my finger, the door swings open. Addie runs in and slams the door shut behind her. “Is it true? Is Luca lying? Did it happen? He said in the note it finally happened.” She is out of breath as if she ran from the other side of the palace.

“Good morning to you too, Adèlie. And what note are we talking about?”

“He gave this to me while I was cooking breakfast in the kitchen along with this chain.” I take the note and open it carefully.
Addie,
When you see Nikki this morning she will have a pretty little ring on her left hand. Even though I wish to see it on her forever, the risk is too much. Give her this chain so she can wear it around her neck until the ball tonight. Give her my love. Let her know that everything is going to be alright.
With Thanks,
Luca


“So, is it true? Let me see!” She forcefully grabs my left hand and spots the dainty ring. “Oh my. This is gorgeous. It makes my ring look so insignificant.” She looks down at her simple ring and sighs.

“Oh Addie, they mean the same thing. We are going to be happy for the rest of our lives.” I slip off the ring and hang it around my neck on the matching chain. We laugh and enjoy our first moments of true happiness. However, reality comes and I have to bring breakfast to Korine, the women intent on stealing away any happiness I dare to have.

*****

Anxiety travels through my body as I get Korine ready, putting my whole body on edge. What if Luca’s plan fails? I could be fired or possibly thrown into the dungeons where the light of day never reached. The thought makes me shudder and Korine takes notice.

“You have no reason to be nervous. The dress is divine and we practiced the hair yesterday. Please relax. If anyone has the right to be nervous, it’s me. Now come over here and help me with my corset.” Korine is especially rude today. She has been more cruel since she caught me with Luca, but today it is even worse. I ignore her ranting and start to tie her corset.

“I really cannot believe I am going to get married. Of course he has to propose first, but what did you think this ball was planned for. It will be so romantic and public and the kingdoms will be able to witness this part of our history. Ouch! That is too tight. Loosen it. Much better, now bring the dress.” It takes all of my strength, which is still minimal, to keep myself from slapping her.
The dress is indeed divine. The dark blue made her pale skin stand out and brought out her eyes. It was sleeveless and was pattern with black lace. It was one of the most beautiful dresses my mother has ever made. I don’t know how I am going to compete with her, even if I already won.

“This is truly spectacular, Nicola. Luca will not be able to take his eyes off of me. Your mother has really outdone herself. Do you have plans for this evening?” She knows how much I have been looking forward to accompanying her to the ball, and now she is throwing it all in my face. I take a deep breath to slow my heart rate and stick to the plan.

“After I finish the work you have given me, Addie and I are going to the stables. We haven’t had much time to talk recently and it is going to be beautiful tonight.” I keep my face neutral and my eyes on her hair.

“And you will be with your Noé. How lovely. Did you curl that one side?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“That whole side looks off. Take it out and redo it.” She does this another two times. At this rate I’ll never get ready in time. I feel lightheaded with worry. As I bend down to pick up a pin, the ring comes out from under my bodice. Korine immediately notices it and glares at me. “Where did you get that? Did you know that is the Italian crest? Where did you get that? Answer me now.”

“It was my mother’s when she came from Italy. She gave it to me for my eighteenth birthday.” This story does not seem to appease Korine’s anger and she grabs me forcefully by the hair.

“Tonight needs to be perfect Nicola. I need to look perfect and you need to be as far away from Luca as possible. You don’t think I saw the way he looked at you in the garden? This is my happily ever after. Stay away.” She lets go suddenly and I fall over hitting my arm.

“I will do what is best for me, Korine. Trust me.”

“Good. Now leave here and finish setting up. Once the guests arrive you are to be out of the great hall and in the stables with your little friends. Understood? You are dismissed.”

*****

Rubbing my head and bruised arm, I hurry to my mother’s room. My mother looks at me smiling when I arrive and pulls me in a loving embrace. “You deserve to be happy, Nicola. Remember who you really are. You are noble. It’s in your blood. Let that reminder fill you tonight and impact everything you do. No matter what they say, there is nothing that can truly stop you from getting what you want.” She starts crying and holds me for a while. Finally she lets go and leads me over to the couch.

On it, a gown is draped. I am in shock. Looking at the intricate detail I know it must have taken my mother months. The thin, web-like lace I had always admired had somehow transformed into a beautiful gown lined with pure white silk. The sleeves aren’t lined and as I put it on the lace resembles vines trailing up my arm, white and delicate.

“I don’t know what to say. It’s like a wedding gown, more beautiful than anything I have ever seen. How did you have the time?”

“Well, it was my wedding gown. I just changed it a little. You were meant to have it.”

“Oh mother, I couldn’t. It’s too valuable.”

“You are worth more than a thousand of these dresses. You are going to wear this dress and make that prince fall in love with you all over again.” She grabs my hands and spins me around making the dress twirl around me.

My hair is curled using a hot iron rod and half of it is pulled up into a tight intricate knot. Addie brings in tiny white flowers that are placed around the knot. Noé brings in wooden box and a note. “Another present from your prince.” He smiles and goes over to Addie. Inside is a lovely crystal circlet. The crystal had been carved into vines and roses twisted together into a point on the forehead. I was surprised but my mother was in shock. “Is everything alright? Do you not like it?”

“That’s mine. I wore it at my wedding. I left it in Italy for safe keeping, with a good friend of mine, Luca’s mother.”
I take the note and read it aloud.
Dearest Nicola,
When I wrote to my mother about my love for you and my plan to marry you, she was overjoyed. She has told no one and brought this when she arrived. She had kept this safe all these years hoping that we would be reunited. She hopes to meet you tonight and says that she has another surprise for you. She has not told me what it is but I am sure it will be wonderful. I cannot wait to see you my beautiful bride. I am anxiously counting the minutes.
Yours Forever,
Luca

We all sit in silence. My thoughts race. Everything is going to work out for us. With the queen on our side it won’t be too hard to convince the rest of the court. She knows my story. She knows who I am.

I put on my engagement ring and look at myself in the mirror. At first I don’t recognize myself.
Then I realize that I am finally seeing who I am supposed to be. The girl I had seen for all these years was never truly me. I am nobility. I deserve to be happy. I am marrying a prince. I am almost out the door when Noé’s voice breaks the silence.

“Aren’t we forgetting something? This is a masquerade! She can’t go in like that, she’ll be seen!” My mother sprints to her chest and pulls out a mask made out of the same fabric as my dress. She gently ties it and I am finally ready to go.

*****

The journey to the ball seems to take forever. The path I have to take is very strict, avoiding any possible way the princess may take. Eventually, I am outside and a few minutes away from the front gates. With my head held high and invitation clutched in my hand I make my way forward. Carriages surround the front and the line of regal men and women is intimidating. They have been living this way all their lives and this is only my first night. One of them is bound to know something is wrong. I push the frightening thought to the back of my head and fall in line behind them.

“Mademoiselle? Do you have an invitation?” A guard stops me right before the entrance. I know him. We used to talk before he was knighted. He looks at me as if I was a stranger.

“Mi scusi?”

“Oh, pardon me. Avete un invito?” I smile at his accent.

“Sì, qui è.” I hand him the special invitation Luca had written for me. The guard looks at the writing in amazement and fixes himself as if he were standing in front of a queen. He gracefully steps aside and allows me to pass, bowing as I move forward.

The inner hall looks marvelous. Even though I have lived here all my life, it feels as though I am seeing this place for the first time. I allow that feeling to help me as I walk through the second set of glass doors into the Great Hall. The scents, music and colors all surround me at once and I am overwhelmed. In honor of the Prince and the visitors from Italy, roses are everywhere. They climb the pillars and decorate the tables. They even hang from the high ceiling. All around me are dancers. Dresses of every color swirl around the hall as their masked owners celebrate. I walk among the guests as one of them and for the first time I feel like I truly belong.

As I make my way through the hall I constantly look for Luca. Being alone, I had already gotten a few looks. The maze of people makes it harder for me but at last I see him. On the dais, he stands between Korine and a woman who must be his mother. It takes all of my being to keep me from running to him. Thankfully there is no need. He catches my eye and his smile is overwhelming. A wave of relief goes through me and I wait patiently for him to approach me. He whispers something to his mother and steps off the dais without a word to the princess. Her manner is already unsettled and seems even more so when she sees me. I look down, so she cannot even guess who I am.

I continue to look at my feet awkwardly until a hand touches my shoulder. “Words cannot describe how beautiful you look tonight, my love.” I turn and look up into his beautiful blue eyes. I am left speechless. His black hair looks even darker with his white and silver doublet, making his eyes stand out even more.

“I couldn’t be happier to see you. I feel so out of place right now. I don’t know where to go.”

“Well, how about the dais?”

“Isn’t that a huge risk? What if she recognizes me?” My hands begin to shake and Luca takes them firmly in his.

“She has been staring at us this whole time. If she recognized you, she would have run down here or given commands to have you taken away. Trust me, you know what to do.” He takes my arm in his which makes me wince. I had forgotten the bruise the princess had given me so kindly earlier in the day. It was beginning to show under the lace and Luca promptly notices it. “Come over here.”

Instead of taking me to the dais, he leads me over to the benches near the gardens. “Nicola, cosa è successo?” Now he starts to shake and I can see the anger in his eyes.

“I fell this morning.” I don’t want to go into it any further. If he knows that that Korine had pushed me down, he would ruin everything.

“Are you sure that’s all that happened? You’ve fallen before, but the bruise has never been this bad. Even when you faint, you never get this hurt.”

“We are attracting too much attention. Can we discuss this later?” Without answering he takes my hand and leads me to the dais. The shock and horror on Korine’s face almost makes me laugh, but I just smile. I am brought to her first.

“Luca, darling, who is this?”

“Princess Korine, I would like you to meet Isobel, a very dear friend from Italy. Isobel, questa è la principessa di Francia Korine.” I bow courteously, the way a noble woman would.

“E 'un onore conoscerla, principessa. Ho sentito molto parlare di te.”

Luca finally speaks up again. “Well, I must take her to my mother. They have been anxious to see each other again.” Korine looks shocked by this too but quickly regains her stature. She only nods and turns away. I notice that Luca’s mother had left the dais. I continue to speak in Italian and ask where she is.

“She went out into the gardens where it’s more private. I must leave you for a short while now. Don’t worry. She already loves you.”

Alone and frightened I walk into the gardens where the queen of Italy awaits me. I have no idea what she knows about me or what she has in store. All I do know, is that she has something for me. Cautiously I step over the threshold and see the most regal women I have ever seen. She does not hold herself the same as the women of the French court. She has a humility and grace about her that is foreign to me.

“Nicola, is that you my dear?” I freeze and words remain stuck in my throat and refuse to come out. “There’s no need to be worried. I recognize the circlet. Come closer so I can get a better look at you.”

“Good evening, your grace.”

“You do not know how long I have waited for this moment. You have grown to look just like your mother.” There is a long pause and she just looks at me. Her voice grows serious. “Nicola, there is someone you ought to meet. Follow me.”

She leads me back into the hall and brings me over to a group of men. “Wait here.” Pulling one of them aside, she guides him back over to me. He looks as if he was in shock and his face grows pale. “My dear Nicola, this is Lord Antonio Conti, your father.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Longer chapter lol sry it took so long. I hope you like all of the surprises ;) PLEASE COMMENT