Sequel: Veiled Love

Masked Love

Sparks

I’m woken up too early by Addie shaking me violently. “What do you want? We should definitely be sleeping right now. It’s not even dawn.”

“It’s important! Look at this.” In her hand is a piece of parchment with Nicola written on the front in very elegant handwriting. Seeing it wakes me up faster and I light the candle next to my bed.

“Nicola, I cannot tell you how nice it was talking to you today. I have trouble making friends, but it felt like we’ve known each other forever. Let’s do this again tomorrow. I’ll meet you in the kitchen at the same time as today.
Yours,
Luca”


“He loves you!” Addie is jumping up and down on my bed and nearly falls over.

“No he doesn’t. He just needs a friend right now and that’s what I am. Just a friend.” The word feels sour in my mouth.

“Well, then we have to make him fall in love with you.”

“He loves Korine. Didn’t you see them last night? He was all over her.”

“But I was watching him too. You should have seen his face when you left. I guess he thought you would be allowed to stay for dinner, and when you left he looked miserable.”

“Maybe he was nervous and is using me as a crutch to get through another painful meal.”

“Either way he was upset. Now you like him right?”

“I don’t know. Maybe a little, but I barely know him.” That is a lie. The word like is an understatement. Though, I know the feeling is a bit foolish, I’m falling in love with him. But is it love or obsession with a dream? My thoughts continue to race until Addie starts to shake me again.

“Today you are going to make an impression. Now let’s go to our place and pick out something nice.” I get my candle and I follow her quietly out of the room.

There is an old shed in the forest next to the stables where Adèlie, Noé, and I used to play when we were little. As we’re older, we have been finding new ways to use the shed. Recently, we’ve been using it as a hiding place for objects like weapons, jewels and gowns. When we reach the shed, we light the lamps on the walls and open an ornate trunk. Inside are many gowns that my mother and I had made for me. Some are meant to be worn during work, but others were meant for special occasions. Addie pulls out a lovely purple velvet gown that my mother had brought from Italy. It is perfect. The sleeves are long and fitted, and the detail is exquisite. Suddenly I’m worried.

“Won’t it be strange if I suddenly start to dress nicer? What if they think my mother stole the fabric? What if Korine suspects something?” My breathing started to grow quicker.

“Calm down Nikki. The dress is one of the less formal ones so you should be fine. If Korine asks, just tell her you’re trying to make a good impression for the guests.” Addie is right. I am overthinking things. We gather the necessary things to go with the dress and head back to our rooms.

When we get back, I put on the dress, pull my hair into a simple yet elegant braid and look into the mirror. It truly is perfect. The color complements my slightly olive skin tone and brings out my eyes. Addie comes in a few minutes later in a much simpler dress. Although it’s meant to be worn to work in the gardens, she still looks lovely.

In Korine’s room, I feel like the afternoon would never come. Korine’s excessive talking about Luca doesn’t help at all. I find myself making simple mistakes. I spill a little water on her gown. I trip while getting her breakfast, and I get lost on the way to the garden during lunch. My mind is everywhere and it is so hard to focus. It gets worse when I see him. His perfect form all over Korine. During breakfast I see him sneak a kiss when the king and queen were preoccupied. While I help bring in lunch he is holding her hand. Jealousy rages in me and I could do nothing but wait.

Finally, the time comes for me to go to the kitchen. For a minute I almost forget. I start to head to my bedroom, exhausted and embarrassed from my short comings that morning. As I am walking, I catch sight of him heading in the direction of the kitchen. Then I walk in front of the mirror and see my unnecessarily fancy dress. The two thoughts connect and I run to the kitchen. On my way there I almost bump into my mother.

“Nicola! Where did you find that dress? I’ve been looking for it everywhere.” I have planned what I was going to say to Korine, but this is unexpected.

“I hid it where Korine couldn’t get her hands on it.”

“And why are you wearing it today?”

“No particular reason. I just wanted to put it to good use.” My mother usually knows when I’m lying. I just hope today I can get away with it.

“I saw the prince heading toward the kitchen. Do you know why?”

“Maybe he’s still hungry.” I’m beginning to panic. I am so late.

“And where are you headed in such a hurry?”

“The kitchen. I’m going to eat while Korine is taking her nap like I do every day.” She just nods and continues to walk. She knows something is different, but I think she also knows this isn’t the right time to ask about it. I begin to run again and make it to the kitchen.

The kitchen itself is the same but it seemed quieter. Dinner isn’t going to be as big as last night so fewer cooks are required. Amidst all of this stands Luca. He is sitting by the fireplace, but there are two chairs instead of one. He must have pulled another one over for me. He is also holding something in his hands. I walk over slowly and our eyes meet.

He stands up and takes my hands, making me turn beat red. “You look lovely today. I’m so happy you came. I gave the note to your friend last night and she said she would get it to you.”

“I was happy to receive it.” I can’t help but smile. He is so kind.

“I was hoping we could walk in the gardens. It is very fine out. But I don’t want to keep you from your duties.”

“I do have some sewing, but I can always bring my bag outside. I know somewhere we could sit and talk.” He takes my arm, like a perfect gentleman, and we walk outside to the garden. I take him to a grove of oak trees. In the center is an oak so large the roots form a natural bench. It is a place I go to often to clear my head and I want to share it with him.

“This is beautiful.” He is in awe of the tree. I lead him to the bench and I pull out my work. There is an awkward silence which I break in fear of him getting bored.

“Korine speaks of you often. She is very fond of you.” I keep my eyes on my work and pray my voice doesn’t give away any hidden feelings.

“I’m sure she is. Either she is fond of me, or she’s really good at hiding her distaste.” His tone doesn’t try to hide anything.

“Is everything alright Luca?” His name is so sweet on my lips I feel like I could say it over and over again and not grow tired of it.

“I honestly don’t know. Do you remember when I said it was hard to separate duty from emotion?”

“Yes.” I remember everything.

“I do care about her. I think that’s why it’s so easy to act. I wouldn’t mind marrying her. But it would be more duty than love.” My heart skips a beat.

“So you don’t love her?”

“I feel like I could love her in the future. But right now I don’t feel it.”

“Pardon my interrupting, but why are you telling me this? I’m her lady in waiting. Actually I should be the last one who should know this.”

“I feel like I can tell you anything. I trust you. And I think you can help me.” I finally look up from my work. “Is that wrong?”

“No, I feel the same way.” For what seems like a lifetime we stare at each other. His eyes, as blue as the Mediterranean, search my hazel ones as if the answers he is looking for are hidden within them. I am the one who breaks the gaze. I feel like all my secrets can be revealed if it lasted another second.

Luca blushes. “I’m sorry. I probably made you uncomfortable.”

“No it’s fine.” I pull out a sleeve and begin to detail it. It is going to be on one of Korine’s dresses for the masquerade.

“That’s very nice. Can I see it?” I gently hand it to him and his fingers trace the embroidery on the sleeve.

“It’s Korine’s for the ball.”

“I almost forgot about that. Apparently it’s a masquerade like they have in Italy. Masks are being order from Venice as well. But it will never compare to those in Italy.”

“It’ll probably be ridiculous.” We both start to laugh. While I sew he begins to talk about the palace where he grew up. I can still remember some things about it, especially the gardens where my mother used to take me so often. But I still don’t understand how that was possible if we were servants.

“We should probably be heading back. Korine could be waking up soon.” He sounds disappointed and rises reluctantly. After helping me gather my things we return to the kitchen. “Tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow.” I give a small bow and go to Korine.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D loving the comments and subscriptions!! keep commenting! Enjoy <33
DRESSES:
Nicola: http://armstreet.com/store/clothes/lady-rowena-exclusive-velvet-embroideded-medieval-dress