Sequel: Veiled Love

Masked Love

Remembering

As I walk back to Korine’s room my thoughts are confused. Why does he confide in me? Is there any chance for us? Do I want there to be an “us”? My head begins to hurt and I consider getting the afternoon off to gather my thoughts. However, that wouldn’t look right. Korine may be dull at times but she can be good at connecting incidents. I take a deep breath and walk into the room. She is awake, sitting at her desk. “Good evening Your Highness.”

“Hello Nikki. Come sit down next to me.” Oh no. She knows something. But it’s only been a day, so there is a chance this is something else. I cautiously sit beside her and wait for her to continue. “I think I know what’s going on Nicola.”

“You do?”

“Yes. You’ve been dressing nicely, sneaking off towards the stables, late for getting me ready for dinner and behind on your work. You and Noé are a couple.”

“I’m in love with Noé?” I can’t help but laugh. “Noé is like a brother to me. I could never marry him.”

“Things change. You could think of him differently soon. Maybe you’ll find someone when we go to Italy.”

“So the rumors are true? He’s going to propose?” My chest started to tighten.

“Of course he is. We have been courting for three years now and during that time agreements have been made. The alliance with Italy will be stronger than ever and Luca and I will live happily ever after.” I knew my feelings were too good to be true. At least I can still be friends with Luca. I never have to lose him again. The thought brightens my spirits and I continue to get Korine ready.

During dinner, I keep close to the great hall. Even though seeing Korine and Luca together makes me sick, I can’t stay away. At one point, he catches my eye and smiles. I quickly hide behind the door when I blush. Addie sees me and laughs.

“You can’t hide that adorable blush forever. Soon, he’s going to see it and know how you feel and take you in his arms and ride into the sunset.” Adèlie is usually like this. But I don’t feel comfortable telling her how I really feel about Luca.

“That is not going to happen. He’s practically engaged.” Apparently I’m not good at hiding my emotions, and a tear ran down my face. Addie came over and gave me a squeeze.

“Everything is going to work out. Did he give any indication that there was even going to be an engagement?”

“No, but Korine did. The marriage is for the alliance. How could that ever be broken?” I looked out the door after Addie left to clean up the plates. He was still there listening to Korine talking, but he seemed to be occupied. When Korine goes to talk to her parents, he calls Addie over and hands her something. She runs to the kitchen and drags me to the fireplace.

“This is for you young lady.” She winks and hurries back to her work. My legs suddenly feel weak and I sit down. I recognize the lovely handwriting that I woke up to this morning.

“Nicola,
Look under your bed tonight. I left something there for our adventures tomorrow. I hope you like it.
Yours,
Luca”


I run to my room, tripping and dodging servants in my way. When I finally get to the other side of the palace and into my room, I am completely out of breath. I collapse on the side of my bed and pull out a box from underneath. Inside is a gorgeous green flax dress with a black and gold belt. Another note is underneath it.

“Tomorrow I want to take you riding. I know you’re going to love it. I want to know more about you. You seem so kind and interesting, I don’t want you to hold back. I promise I won’t.
Luca”


The dress fits perfectly and is made for riding. The material is expensive. How am I going to explain this one to Korine? I could use the story about Noé and I. But that would hurt Addie. As I’m thinking, Addie walks in and immediately spots the dress.

“He gave you that?” All she can do is point and stare.

“He put the box under my bed when I was working. Do you think he knows?” I had never considered that possibility. If he knew everything would make sense.

“That would definitely explain the expensive gifts.”

“I guess I’ll find out tomorrow.”

I meet him in the stables. Korine did ask and I said I was going out with Addie and Noé. She still seems to believe that we’re in love and this time I don’t correct her. I hope the rumors don’t spread. Luca is dressed simply in a white shirt and is talking to Noé privately. He hears me enter and turns around.

“I’m so happy it fit. Are you ready to go?”

“Yes I am. Noé could you get my horse?” Noé leaves to get her.

“You have your own?” Luca seems surprised by that and I laugh.

“You didn’t think a servant wasn’t allowed those luxuries?” I give him a look and get on without any help. I happen to be a great rider. When Korine was little, I would accompany her on during her lessons at the nearby monastery. Being a servant I wasn’t allowed in the carriage so I rode beside it, growing better and stronger with every ride.

“I apologize for my ignorance.” He gets on his horse and we’re off. He leads me into the forest along a route that I am acquainted with.

“Are we going to the lake?” I am genuinely surprised. I didn’t think he would be able to find it.

“Noé told me how to get there. He seems nice. Korine said that you were very close with him.” My stomach churns. She told Luca about the lie. The embarrassment must be written all over my face because Luca turns red as well. “I’m sorry was that private?”

“No, I am close with him. But he’s more of a brother than anything else. Korine is wrong when she says we’re in love.” Relief seems to fill Luca. Was he happy about this?

“That’s sweet. I’m guessing Addie is like a sister?”

“Yes, we’ve been best friends since I moved to France.”

“When did you move here?”

“I was five when my mother told me we were moving. I don’t know why we had to so urgently. I don’t remember much from Italy at all actually.”

“What about your father? I know your mother is here, but I never heard about him.” He seems genuinely curious about my past. It’s something that I never talk about, mostly because I don’t remember or my mother never told me.

“He never came with us. He died when I was very young. I can only remember his eyes. They were sad most of the time. Why do you want to know this? I’m just a servant, yet you look at me like I’m an equal.” My eyes start to tear. I’ve never been treated like this by someone of a higher station. Although Korine claims to be my friend, she never acts like it. Luca is so different, it scares me.

“I can honestly say that I’m not like Korine and the people here in the French court. They have no respect for those beneath them and I see it every day. I can also say that you remind me of someone I knew when I was very young. Someone I thought I lost forever.”

“Who was that?” My voice is shaky and I hope he doesn’t notice.

“Someone who I used to live next to when I was young, before I became a prince.”
“You weren’t always a prince?” This is new information. Something my mother happened to leave out when we were talking.

“My father was the brother of the Italian monarch. When the plague struck, he along with my cousin was killed. It was a very sad lost for the kingdom, he was a good man. My aunt knew she couldn’t run the kingdom by herself, so she handed the crown over to my father and abdicated. I think she was relieved. When my father took the throne, I became the crown prince and received all of the ridiculous pressures that come with it.” I don’t know what to say. He just opens up to my without questioning my trust.

“Do you know what happened to the girl who lived next to you?”

“She moved away. My mother said that she was here and told me to look. My mother doesn’t like Korine. I think she’s hoping I find this girl and choose her instead.” My heart stops. Does he know it’s me? He continues without noticing my reaction. “Apparently she had to move because of her mother’s reputation. It was a scandalous marriage. Rumors say that she lied about her station and married a royal. But they also said he had an affair and kicked her out of his home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
New Info!!! ;) Sorry this is a little late, enjoy!!! KEEP COMMENTING :D
DRESSES:
Nicola: http://armstreet.com/store/clothes/medieval-dress-with-belt-forest-princess <3333333