Status: Went on vacay and then...broken finger, can't type properly, updates soon.

Mentor

Cheers

"Do you actually do anything for SHIELD?" Steve questions as I look up from the couch, where he was standing in the door of what was to be his room for the night. Tony who obviously thought he was hilarious had booked us a one bedroom suit. After a rather drawn out debate where Steve was being a gentlemen and I tried to reason with him, I eventually managed to convince him he wouldn't fit comfortably on the couch and I would.

He hadn't been happy about my refusal and had spent the last hour in the bedroom, I'm not sure if he was pouting or what, but at some point he must of showered because his hair was slicked back and I had to physically restrain myself from slipping onto the floor, off of the couch.

"Er-" I clear my throat, prying my gaze of the newest True Blood episode. "Yeah, I get requests from Fury every now and then. Not too often they're usually requests for Natasha and Clint, when they need information and can't get it themselves."

"You know them too?" he asks coming to sit down on the couch beside me, I pause the television quickly not wanting to startle him when two people randomly decide to go at it, which is pretty normal for True Blood.

"I know Natasha, she served as an assistant at Stark Industries for a while when we were still in Malibu. Before then I was only aware that I supplied her with information, I've never met Clint though," I shrug leaning back into the couch, I was seriously contemplating jumping his bones. Tony wouldn't even have to pay me, in fact, I'd donate that 2 million to some research facilities so they could conquer the human brain and I could relive the experience somehow.

"So, what are you watching?" Steve asks, making me squirm a bit.
"True Blood, we can watch something else though, I'll check what else is on" I offer as he shakes his head, "No, you were here first."

"I don't think you'll want to watch this, its…it's about vampires, you wouldn't like it" I tell him, his eyebrows raise and he shrugs, leaning back into the couch, putting his feet up on the table.

"I'll judge that for myself, I'd like to see what kind of things you're interested in" he says honestly, making me blush for more then one reason. Still unsure I push play on the remote and sit back also, watching one of my favourite show's play across the screen.

It wasn't until a wild pair of boobs appeared did I remember who I was watching TV with. With a bit of a smirk I watch as Steve's cheeks redden and he shifts his gaze away for the TV and me, clearing his throat.

"They…they show that on television now?"
"Uh… yeah. Well, not all show's obviously, HBO is…special like that." I tell him, switching the channel to save him further embarrassment, at least Entertainment Tonight wouldn't have female nudity.

"You like that…stuff?"
"Not the nudity obviously! I'm not a pervert… well.. when some of the guys are shirtless I don't mind but-" I pause glaring up at him," are you laughing at me?" I ask shocked as his deep laugher sounds throughout the whole room. I push his shoulder and reach over to do more damage as my name draws my attention back towards the television.

"Veronica Stark was spotted on Fifth Avenue today, her new beau in tow. Our favorite heiress seemed to be doing some major damage to her Dad's credit cards as she enters Saks and quite a few more stores, exiting with an abundance of garment and paper bags."

"Oh, honestly, it's like they've never seen me shopping," I scoff as the announcer continues.

"Reports, and pictures later show Miss. Stark walking into the Palace with her new boyfriend (not confirmed). We have no conformation as to if they are there for dinner or have gotten a room at this time. Maybe we'll finally get a scandal from the 22 year old this year."

"Does this happen often?" Steve asks, watching as a video of us walking down the sidewalk appears in the top corner of the screen.

"Sometimes, on slow news days I guess. They've been pretty interested in you lately actually, since we went on that little foot tour of the city. They just like to assume I'm dating whoever I'm with, sorry, if it bothers you I can see if Pepper will do anything about it. We try not to intervene too often it just encourages them, and if I hack their systems it would look a little suspicious if all their footage and pictures disappeared."

"Other then a few minor incidents at clubs the heiress is pretty tame, maybe she's finally taking a page out of the Stark book and going to throw us a worthy story. Currently studying at NYU, Stark is majoring in computer and mechanical engineering, her classmates describe her as polite and quiet, not what we expect from someone that Tony Stark's had a hand in raising."

Scoffing I turn off the TV not wanting to listen to anymore, "I'm not sure who they would have talked to, I don't have many classes to go to. Of course I'm quiet, half the time people just come and talk to me because they want something or think that being friends with the 'daughter' of Tony Stark would get them a job. And they wondered why I wanted to go to NYU, I rather live at the tower and take classes online and work, rather then try and filter through who is genuine and who just wants to be my friend to better their career, or birthday gifts" I rant, bolting from the couch and over to the mini fridge.

Retching it open I reach for a bottle of water, only to find nasty Pierrier. That was the thing with these fancy hotels, they did cater to the rich and famous, I didn't have rich or famous tastes though and would have rather had a normal water. Grabbing what looked like a wine spritzer, I twist off the top, taking a sip and pulling a face.

Nasty.

o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o


"You know what's funny? I'll tell you." I assure Steve, wobbling slightly as I make my way back to the couch, he reaches out to catch me as I stumble, and grips my arm, sitting me down.

"I can get tipsy off of two wine coolers, and you can't get drunk at all. Does that suck or are you used to not drinking because you lived during the Prohibition?" I question watching him shakes his head, Steve sets his own beer on the table. Something I had practically forced into his hand, he had drunk about 5 though and he was right as rain, then there was me who couldn't hold my alcohol at all, something Tony assured me was a shame to the Stark name.

"Using alcohol to numb one's feelings isn't something I believe in,"
"Hey now I wasn't-"
"I'm talking about me," he says quietly, immediately making me wish I was a little more sober. "I can't get drunk, I've never been a drinker and when I first woke up that was the first thing I wanted to do, drink, anything to numb everything, it was the only thing I thought would work, I'd seen men do it before, drown their sorrows, but I metabolize alcohol too quickly. It doesn't work, but that's probably for the better."

"You have every right to feel that way," I tell him, shocked as my hand lands on his knee, the alcohol flowing through my system giving me unusual confidence. "You woke up and everything you knew was gone, decades had passed by, people think going from public to private school was a culture shock for me, I can't imagine what it would be like for you. Waking up like that, you're adjusting the best you can, that's all anyone can ask of you."

"What if I can't adjust? I'm an old soul, I should be sitting in a wheel chair right now, forgetting my name every other day, and telling my story because that's the only thing I can remember, what I did for my country."

"You will adjust though, you're a smart guy" I tell him honestly, "Sure, you should be in some nursing home right now, or maybe even dead but you're not. Fate gave you that second chance when you sacrificed yourself for everyone."

Steve's eyes lock with mine suddenly and I offer him a smile, "We're all here for you, even Tony. He doesn't let just anyone stay in his tower you know, I'm lucky he even lets me stay, he's always urging me to move out" I try and joke, to lighten the mood.

"You don't have to do that you know" Steve informs me quietly, his hand moving onto of the one I had placed on knee, giving it a quick unsure squeeze before moving them both onto the couch and pulling his away.

"Do what?" I question, slightly embarrassed now, looking down at my lap, linking my hands together there. Safety away from Steve and his knees.

"Change the subject, you deflect a lot."
"I wasn't deflecting, I was lightening the mood because I could tell you were getting upset."

"I…oh" he sighs, "sorry, I guess I was uncomfortable."

I look up and shrug, "No worries, you probably shouldn't listen to anything I said anyways, actually, never listen to me, even when I'm sober. I'm not too great with the advice thing, too smart for my own good and all."

"No" Steve shakes his head, "Thank-you, you're right. You are all there, and especially you since we've met."

"Happy to be of service, sir!" I salute him, loudly giggling as his face turns to one of shock at my blatant change in attitude.

"I think we should get you to bed," he mummers, reaching for me as I squirm out of his reach, protesting as he easily picks me up and walks me towards the bedroom.
"I don't wanna go to bed, wait, you're sleeping in here, are we having a sleepover? An adult sleepover?" I inquire, innocently, laughing gleefully as his face turns bright red, even more so as I try and pull him down on the bed as he sets me on top of the covers.

"Veronica!"
"Tony promised me 2 million, I'll split it with you!" I joke, enjoying my silly mood.

"I don't even know what you're talking about" he mutters, pulling down the blankets as I try and jump on his back. I know I was going to be horrified with myself in the morning, but for now this looked like a good idea.

"Please get into bed?," he asks pulling me off his back swiftly and easily, setting me back down on the bed and pulling the blankets up over me. He splutters as I try and yank at his t-shirt, pinning my hands down above the covers.

"Ronnie," he politely says, not using my whole name for once, "you don't know what you're doing."

"I do, and it involved your shirt" I tease, snuggling into the bed. Steve shakes his head, giving me a small smile.

"Good night, ma'am"
"I hate when you call me that!" I yell as he walks out of the room, keeping the door open.

I watch as he moves around the suits living room, taking the blanket and pillow we had put out earlier and setting them on the couch, and laying down with them. I groan before calling out to him once more, "Just because I'm drunk doesn't mean I wont remember the fact you slept on the couch, Steven!"

That night I fell asleep listening to light laugher coming from only fifteen feet away.

o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o


"Oh, wild night? Did you have three sips of beer or something?" Tony asks as Steve and I walk out of the elevator. He was wearing silk pyjama pants and for once I didn't feel the need to point out it was three in the afternoon because Pepper was sitting beside him on the couch, in a silk robe of her own.

It was kind of cute, actually.
Pulling my sunglasses off I groan and sit down on the opposite couch, listening as Steve offers his congratulations before he disappears. We had an interesting morning where I spent a good few minutes apologizing and we ate in silence, casting each other shy looks every few minutes.

Awkward.

"Actually it was two wine coolers, which I saw you supplied on the bill this morning, I should have known they didn't put that nasty water in there by default"

"You needed encouragement," he shrugs, pulling Pepper to his side, making her roll her eyes.

"Well nothing happened other then me embarrassing myself slightly, so you're little idea didn't work. You get an 'A' for effort though." I tell him, throwing my head back and closing my eyes. My head was thumping and I was once again reminded why I almost never drank.

"But you wanted something to happen,"
"Can we ignore me for the time being and focus on the fact you two are engaged?" I ask cracking an eye open to see Pepper smiling and looking down at her ring. It wasn't over the top at all which surprised me, Tony had actually thought this through.

"Are you okay with this?" Pepper questions seriously, making me laugh.
"Of course! Why wouldn't I be? I'm happy for you guys!"
"And if she had a problem we kick her out, she's old enough" Tony interjects, his eyes focused on the TV now.

"You're welcome, for leaving, by the way," I bite sarcastically, closing my eyes once more.
"You're welcome for, letting you wrack up a credit card bill? Giving you the perfect opportunity to seduce Gramps, uhh what else, oh not killing that dog of yours."

This makes my eyes snap open as I ignore everything else said, pushing myself off the couch in search of Bruce. How could I have forgotten about Sherman!

Making my way out towards the balcony, I can hear the yaps of my happy puppy and eventually spot Steve and Bruce standing side by side, speaking in low tones as Sherman bounds around the landing.

"Sherman, come to mummy!" I yell, smiling as my little ball of fluff bounds over, I scoop him up, noting that he had grown, something I hadn't been noticing. I wave over to the men who had looked over, offering a smile and calling out my thanks to Bruce before moving us over to one of the side doors, I was going to get his leash and we were going to go for a very long walk around Central Park, I didn't care how far it was.

If I had looked back I would have seen the look Steve was giving me, a look that would have no doubt confused me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guys, I've written and re-written this chapter five times. I had so many things I wanted to happen, but I don't think it was quite time for that yet so then I'd have to go back and delete it and start over. Hopefully this was good enough. I love hearing from you guys, seriously don't be scared to review, it encourages me to write. Enjoy!

Oh, I did a companion one-shot, so check that out! You'll also notice the rating went up, it wont be needed right away but it will probably be for language and sexual content. Nothing drastic, and nothing immediate but it's a warning.