Status: COMPLETED!

When I Wake Up Next To You

You Can't Argue With Fate.

Day One.
I spent the entire day in bed, trying desperately to fall back to sleep. To get back to Niall.
When sleep finally came... I only saw darkness.

Day Two
Jenny attempted to get me out of the house, unsure as to why my sudden mood change, but I only made it so far as the couch. I stared out the window, wondering why life had given me everything only to rip it all away.

Day Three
I had to go to work. Despite the pain that seemed to permeate every part of me, I got up and dressed. I didn't want to go... but staying home and trying to sleep only to be faced with darkness wasn't cutting it. At work I couldn't concentrate, the words on my computer blurring together and giving me a headache. I could only get minimal work done and it was interspersed with trips to the bathroom to cry.

Day Four.
Work. Go home. Everything feels so grey. I thought I'd stop crying but when I wake up in my bed alone... they pour out with no warning.

Day Five
I went to work as usual, and when I got home Jenny was sitting on the couch with dinner.

"Here," she said offering me a burger, "Went to Five Guys, got your fav."

"Thanks..." I murmered sitting down to eat. Food had no taste really but I ate anyway, no need to worry people.

"So, mind telling me what's wrong?"

I looked at her, trying to fake surprise, "What're you talking about?"

"Look, you're a great actress. But when it comes to your own emotions, you're absolutely transparent."

I stared down at my burger and shrugged, "Just... works been a bit frustrating, and it's been tiring me out. That's all."

"Mhm... I see. Somehow I doubt it. " Jenny said popping a fry into her mouth, "Come on Alice."

I opened my mouth to reply when I was cut off by my phone ringing, "Hold on...hello?"

"Hi! Is this Alice Juliet?"

"Um," I winced at how chirpy and cheerful the girl sounded, "Yeah, this is her."

"CONGRATULATIONS! I'm calling on behalf of U.K United Airways! You've won our contest for a round trip all expenses paid trip to the United Kingdom!"

I stared into space, my mind trying to comprehend what was going on.

"You won some trip to go to the U.K for two weeks..."

"Miss Alice?"

"S...sorry! Yes I'm here."

"Right! We just need to take down your information and when you'd like to redeem your tri-"

"Next week!" I cut her off, gripping my phone so hard I was surprised it hadn't snapped in half.

As soon as I gave her my info and hung up I let out a cry of happiness and jumped up.

"What? What? Who was that?" Jenny looked at me, confusion written all over her face.

"I WON THE TRIP TO THE U.K."

My mind was swirling with emotions. Of course I had no idea if Niall and I would meet but... the fact I had won the trip was a ray of hope.

~~~~~~
When I touched down in the U.K it was about midday. With jetlag, I assumed I would've been exhausted but the moment I set foot in my hotel, I wanted nothing more than to step back out onto the street.

I washed up, and fixed my hair and make up before setting back out. I had no idea when... or even IF I would meet Niall. But I was determined to try to recreate the hazy memory I still had of our first meeting.

Within an hour I was lost. I thought trusting my instinct would work... that if I just wandered I'd end up where I needed to be.

That... didn't work out very well and now I was just cold, and wet from the snow. I let out a sigh, as I crossed the street. It was beginning to get dark, and I stuffed my hands into my pockets, and looked around as I walked down the street. At this point the only way I was getting back to the hotel was if I took a cab so I began to try to look for one to flag down.

That's when it happened.

BAM.

"Ow... ow... ow..." I muttered, feeling my butt smack onto the cold wet sidewalk. Of course my spacey self would run into someone.

Wait...

My head shot up, and I stared speechlessly at the boy before me.

"You alright love?"

"I... I... yes, I'm fine. Thanks."

For the very first time... I took Niall Horan's hand and he helped me up. As I brushed the snow off myself, he stared at me with a curious expression.

"Um... scuse me, but... have we met?"

My breath caught in my throat, "Ye- wait... no! I mean no, no we haven't. I'm um, on vacation right now."

Niall laughed, and the familiar sound pricked at my heart, "Really? Why'd you choose this snowy grey place fer vacation?"

I shrugged and smiled shyly, "It was a contest that I won. Besides it's not so bad... theres ton to see."

Niall smiled at me, his braces glinting underneath the streetlight, "I see." He looked at me for a moment before extending his hand, "You look a bit cold, want to get somethin' warm to drink?"

My heart fluttered.

"That... would be amazing."

~~~~~
"Large hot chocolate with extra whipped cream and chocolate drizzle."

"How did you kno-"

We both cut ourselves off with laughter.

"That is... crazy." Niall said, "You have the same favorite drink as me."

I shrugged, smiling shyly. Truthfully despite knowing what had happened (roughly anyway), the words had just spilled out. The emptiness I had felt was dissipating everytime Niall looked at me.

"Okay that was totally weird eh? I mean what are the chances?" Niall said, as we sat down at a table, "It's like straight out of a movie."

"One in a million, I guess." I replied. One in a million was right, I thought staring out the window at the snowflakes falling outside. I looked at Niall who was looking at me curiously again.

"Yes?"

He shook his head, smiling lightly, "It's totally weird but... I can't shake the feeling that I know you. Or...or that this wasnt a chance meeting y'know?"

You have no idea, I thought stifling a giggle.

"Maybe it wasn't," I said quietly, "Maybe... maybe it was fate."

Niall looked at me carefully, "Yeh... maybe you're right. And who are we to argue with fate?"

I grinned, "Oh?"

"Wanna go out with me for dinner later?"

"I... would want nothing more than to have dinner with you, Niall."
♠ ♠ ♠
C: epilogue is next.
I wrote this on my phone, so sorry for any mistakes! Should have the epilogue up later today.

Look forward to the sequel - They Don't Know About Us!

Thank you ALL. so so so so much. You have no idea how much you all mean to me. <3