Flower Crown

One

Brielle Hyde had to wipe tears from her eyes if she wanted to continue driving.

Everything had started to fall downhill from the moment she broke up with Kaleb. She couldn't handle the stress anymore; she couldn't cope with the criticism that surrounded her every time she spoke with her parents.

It was hard for her to understand anything anymore. She had no idea where she was going, and what would come in her future. But she wasn't one to wait around.

She pulled over, parked the car, and pressed her hands to her face. Nothing could compare to what this time had brought her. She was done with the antagonizing comments from her parents. If I want to start my life, I can't have them around, she thought hastily. Her fingers trembled as she pulled her Blackberry from her purse and dialed her older sister's number.

As it started to ring, she lifted her eyes to the windshield and looked around her. If she were to keep going straight on this street, she would eventually be in Brooklyn--where her older sister had moved to only two years ago.

Why did this have to happen? she thought, closing her eyes and taking a deep, shaky breath as she wiped the tears from the corners of her eyes. She begged for her sister to answer.

"Hello?"

"Samantha. It's Brielle."

"What's wrong? You sound like you've been crying."

She ignored the last part and jumped right in to what happened. She could trust Samantha with anything, so she didn't hesitate to speak.

"Sam, I can't handle Mom and Dad anymore. This morning, they got mad at me because I broke up with Kaleb, and said that it was my fault for being so unsupportive and for procrastinating. I'm sick of them."

She waited for a response. These were the exact same reasons why Sam moved to Brooklyn--not only to go to college, but to permaneantly get away from their criticizing parents.

"...I'm sorry. I know it's tough, and I can't believe they would still do that to you. Where are you?"

"I was on my way to Brooklyn. I don't know why."

Samantha paused. "Are you trying to ask me if you can move in with me?"

Brielle sighed. "I had never meant things to get out of hand like this, Sam. I know I ask for a lot of favors. I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry."

It was several moments before her sister replied. There was indistinct murmuring and muffled conversation in the background. She imagined what they would be saying--how inconsiderate she was, how they just wanted alone time together, and how it would definitely last longer than they anticipated.

"Brielle, I just moved in with Ashton."

"I know, Sam. I know. It would only be for a couple of weeks at the most. Just until I find another screenwriting job. Then, I'll get my own place, I promise."

She knew how childish she must have sounded to her older sister. Sighing, she fumbled with her hands as she waited for her sister's response. Things were never meant to be so complicated like this. It would be a miracle if she actually moved in with her sister today.

"Ugh. Okay. But only because I was in your same situation, and I had a best friend here who provided me with a miracle, too."

Brielle laughed through her tears. "This means the world to me, Sam."

"Whatever," Samantha replied jokingly. "What time will you be here?"

She smiled. She definitely owed her sister. "I'll be there in 15 minutes. Thank you so much. I owe you one."

After their conversation ended, Brielle shook her head. She was lucky to have such an amazing sister that would let her move in with her.

On the drive home, she thought about everything that had happened. First, she and Kaleb broke up; then, her parents spent 75% of all conversations scolding her about being to blame for the break-up. And then, this morning, came the grand finale.

She was worried about finding a job. Surely Brooklyn would have something for her...right? Screenwriting was something she loved to do, and it paid well; but she at least needed to know if there was something dealing with it that could pay enough money for her to get her own apartment.

Finally--after seemingly endless minutes of driving--she arrived at her sister's two-bedroom house. Samantha was waiting at the door and raised an eyebrow at her before pulling her into a hug.

With tens of hundreds of boxes packed in Brielle's car, moving into Samantha's house was quite the hassle, but took less than an hour. Not much was done except the two of them and Ashton moving boxes, small furniture, and hardware up to the guest bedroom.

"Samantha, I cannot thank you enough. Really."

"I don't want any of this mushy crap, now. Just...please, look for a job. And don't take longer than a few weeks."

"I won't. I promise."

They were sitting on Brielle's new bed, sorting through clothes and hanging them up in the closets and folding them in drawers. She wasn't so sure about her promise; there had been very few times where she had even been to Brooklyn. Samantha had usually visited her instead.

Suddenly, Samantha sprung from the bed and stared at Brielle, her eyes bright. "I just remembered--one of my friend's friends is a pretty popular producer here in Brooklyn. She does tons of local stuff. She can probably help you find a screenwriting job!"

Brielle raised her eyebrows at her. "She doesn't even know me. And, if she's popular, what are the odds that I'll get the job? I'm not famous or anything."

A small smile crossed her face as Brielle looked at her older sister. She was pretty--long, dirty blonde hair, glimmering brown eyes, a firm jawline--features that she received from their mother.

Her older sister sighed. "Come on. Stop being so negative. She's really nice, and would really like your work. Have you updated your resume yet?"

She shook her head. "No. I have to add that last movie I finished a week ago. But are you sure about this?"

She shrugged. "I don't know if you'll get the job. But it's worth a try, right? It's probably going to be the easiest way you can find one."

She's right, Brielle thought. The sooner I get a job, the sooner I can really settle in to Brooklyn.

For one, tiny moment, Brielle stared at her sister intently and shook her head. Why was her sister being so nice? She took her in quickly--a little too quickly, really. Moving in to someone's house--even if it was temporarily--is usually a little more discussed than just over a five-minute phone conversation.

But she had to remember that her sister was in the exact same place a few years ago. Her best friend took her in, and they shared an apartment with Brooklyn until she found her own. Then, she met Ashton, left her apartment, and moved in with him.

She had to admit--for one thing, she was absolutely terrified after leaving her parents' house in a huff. She couldn't think of anywhere to go, she was pressured from the interchanging comments from her parents, and didn't even have a screenwriting job in Brooklyn to support herself.

Samantha shared the same look on her face when she had Skyped her after leaving their parents' house. Scared, rushed, but--most importantly--relieved that she had a place to stay.

She chuckled softly. She felt like a psycho as she kept her delicate crown of flowers on her head. It was like a meaningful accessory, but more than that. It marked every personal, amazing thing that had happened in her life, starting from her early teens and coming up until now--where there was just one space for a flower left.

A space waiting to be filled.

Her features were the opposite of her sister's--she had gotten all of them from her father. Brielle had chocolate-brown hair, green-gray eyes, and a very broad build. But nobody cared about those. Most were just interested in the ornate flower crown that was placed upon her head. It meant everything to her, and she would keep it until she found something to fill that empty space.