Status: Finished!

Better Than Me

Keep in Touch

It was six-thirty on the dot. The club was deserted except for a few members of the staff getting things ready for the night. Jacob led the way inside and was soon greeted by the owner. While they discussed business, the rest of the band and crew took care of load-in. Corinne, chatting with Christian through a series of text messages, sat at a table near the door and stayed out of the way. Riley, on the other hand, was awaiting her chance. It came after only twenty minutes.

Jacob turned and strolled straight out of the club. David, Cody, Joseph, and Todd were busy; Corinne was engrossed in her cell phone. None of them even noticed when Riley slipped through the door.

Jacob was removing two of his guitar cases from the back of the van. He set them down carefully and glanced up at Riley's approach. A small smile curved his lips. "Hi."

"Hi," she echoed. He had taken off his sunglasses and his sapphire eyes pierced her, making her stomach flutter pleasantly. "Do you need any help?"

"Nah, I've got it. Thanks, though." A third, smaller case was brought out and placed beside the guitar cases.

"Um, Jacob?"

"What?" He paused in the act of bending into the van for another case. Straightening, he brushed a strand of his jet-black hair out of his eyes. His gaze was so steady and it made Riley feel a bit disconcerted.

"I overheard you...at the gas station...singing," she stated, stumbling over her words. There was a trace of amusement in Jacob's eyes and she thought how stupid it was for her to be this awkward around him. He wasn't anybody special. Why did he have this effect on her?

Taking a deep breath, she continued. "Your voice is really amazing. And the words were beautiful. Who does the song?"

Jacob's smile grew. "Mars Electric."

"You mean...?"

"The band I was in before Lynam."

"So, you wrote that?"

He nodded. "It's called 'Another Day (On Top of the World).'" He considered her for a few seconds. "Would you like to hear it the way it's supposed to sound?"

"Sure."

Jacob rounded the side of the van, calling "Get in!" as he opened the driver-side door. Riley climbed into the passenger seat. Jacob was sliding a CD out of one of those huge CD carrying cases. He inserted the disc into the van's CD player and skipped to the second track.

Acoustic guitar floated from the speakers, soon accompanied by strings. "One more drink of wine, until the pain's gone..." Jacob's voice, flawless with the help of sound techs, was like a caress. Riley barely stifled a shiver. Still, she couldn't help thinking that he had sounded better at the gas station, the mild imperfections adding to that tangible quality his voice had.

She touched his arm at the song's conclusion, stopping him before he could cut it off. "Can I hear another song?"

He hesitated. "Alright. But I've gotta help the guys."

"I won't steal the van," Riley said with a mocking seriousness.

Jacob chuckled, his grin completely transforming his face and making him almost unbearably beautiful. Riley's stomach gave the now-familiar quiver.

Jacob got out of the van. Riley restarted track three, having missed the beginning due to the exchange with him.

"I can't say what you want to hear/It's lonely now, so cold inside/Paint me what you want me to see/Take away everything from me."

Jacob's voice was once again different, this time low and sexy. Riley couldn't ignore the tremor at her core.

"Can't you see what you are to me?/I'm falling so far away/Everything falls apart now/I feel alone/And it won't go away.

"Did you think that I would change?/You don't know how hard I tried/All I wanted was anything/She never liked to let it show/Maybe we could hold it all together/I guess that's just the way it goes."


The song ended just as Jacob, David, Cody, and Corinne spilled out of the club. Riley turned the ignition switch to off, double-checked that the doors were unlocked, and hopped from the van.

"We're going to eat," David announced.

Riley automatically angled for the rental, but Cody caught her. Slinging an arm around her shoulders, he steered her towards the road. "That's where we're going," he said, pointing at the building directly across from the club.

Riley was about to tell them to grab the keys to the van. There was no need, however. Jacob shut the driver-side door and pocketed the keys. He met her eyes briefly as he fell into step with David and Corinne, behind Cody and her.

Riley allowed Cody to guide her safely across the road. She was hyperaware of Jacob talking to David and Corinne. Every time he spoke, his voice seemed to slide over her nerve endings, rich and deep like velvet.

They reached the restaurant and Riley made a beeline to the bathroom. She plucked her cell from the depths of her purse. Pressing and holding the number two to activate speed dial, she slumped against the wall.

"Hey, babe."

Andy's voice was a balm, soothing her tangled mix of emotions. Riley closed her eyes and smiled. "Hey."

"Is everything okay? We talked less than four hours ago."

"I know. I just needed to hear your voice." Riley moved to the mirror above the nearest sink. "How's Louisville?"

"Just another city."

"Jaded much?"

"It's nice. It'd be better if you were here."

"Less than twenty-four hours," Riley reminded him.

"That's entirely too long," he complained.

Riley, frowning at her appearance, didn't respond. She hadn't yet changed out of the chemise and her pajama pants. She really wanted to get back to the club and fix herself--she was a fucking mess.

And it doesn't even phase Jacob, she thought, recalling that he'd regarded her the exact same way today as he had last night when she'd been "dolled up."

"What are you doing?" Andy asked, breaking into her scrutiny of herself.

"Nothing. We're at a restaurant, about to eat."

"Then I'll let you go."

"Okay. Hey, Andy?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too, babe."

Riley dropped her cell back into her purse. She felt relaxed now and dismissed her reaction to Jacob as her imagination playing tricks on her. He was attractive, but she loved Andy. Jacob definitely couldn't lure her away from Andy after only two days.

Yet, there was still something that bothered her. She'd responded to him immediately, the moment they'd been reintroduced to one another. His considerable charm had worked its magic on her instantly. She was sensitive to his voice, his laugh, his smile, his eyes.

Why? she wondered.

He wasn't actively attempting to seduce her. So why did his every action strike her with such force?

I'm losing it, she said to herself. This is nothing. Just a lack of sleep combined with stress and loneliness. Tomorrow, I'll be back with Andy and everything will be fine.

**********

Riley contributed to the general dinner conversation despite the fact that her mind wasn't really on it. She wasn't certain that she even wanted to be here any longer.

She learned that Jacob's favorite band was Motley Crüe, his favorite guitarist was Steve Vai, his favorite album of all-time was Guns 'N Roses' Appetite for Destruction, and the first concert he'd ever attended was the Beastie Boys.

Back at the club, Riley went into the bathroom. She brushed her teeth, did her makeup, and put on the outfit she'd brought: a white corset-like top trimmed in black lace, black skinny jeans, and a pair of black "hooker heels." She emerged to a room rapidly filling with people.

Cody, Jacob, and Corinne were outside, enjoying the last period of peace and quiet they would get for the rest of the night. Riley joined Corinne in leaning against the side of the van.

"Damn, Riley," Cody said, checking her out appreciatively. "You look great."

"Thanks." She forced a smile, but found her eyes flicking to Jacob. Their gazes locked and held for seconds that stretched into an eternity. His face was its usual mask of pleasant blankness.

"We'd better go in if we want to be up front," Corinne commented.

Relieved for the excuse to get away from Jacob, Riley hurried inside with her. They stopped at the bar for drinks before again claiming the prime spot of front and center at the stage.

The show proceeded in much the same way as the one the previous night. The raised stage didn't permit Jacob and Cody to interact with the fans in the same manner. This didn't prevent Jacob from invading Riley's personal space, however. At the edge of the stage, he dropped to his knees, bending to put the guitar in her face. She wished she could be oblivious to the sexual tension that shot between them like an electrical current, but that was impossible.

He smiled at her, biting his lip and getting ever closer, until his knuckles brushed her cheek. Riley was entranced by his sapphire eyes, fixed unwaveringly on her blue-green eyes. She wasn't aware of the dawning realization that briefly illuminated Corinne's features.

The band broke into KISS's "Lick It Up." Riley watched Jacob strumming the main riff. He was scanning the crowd, a smirk on his lips, yet Riley knew where his gaze would come to rest.

"Don't wanna wait 'til you know me better/Let's just be glad for the time together," he sang. "Life's such a treat and it's time you taste it/There ain't a reason on Earth to waste it/It ain't a crime to be good to yourself."

"Lick it up! Lick it up! Whoa-oh-oh! It's only right now!" Corinne and Riley shouted, dancing together. They were very familiar with this song--it was one of Christian's and Andy's favorites. "Lick it up! Lick it up! Whoa-oh-oh, yeah!"

As the changing chords flowed back into the main riff, Jacob stepped away from the mic stand. He looked at Riley, ducked his head back to the mic, and sang: "Don't need to wait for an invitation/You gotta live like you're on vacation/There's something sweet you can't buy with money--"

"Lick it up! Lick it up!" Cody and David intoned.

"--It's all you need, so believe me, honey/It ain't a crime to be good to yourself."

The audience was happily chanting the chorus along with David and Cody. His job handled, Jacob sauntered to stand in front of Riley once more. The song was finished without him ever returning to the mic and with the striking of the last note, Jacob reached down and petted Riley's hair.

Riley's breath caught in her throat. He turned to cross the stage and Riley looked over at Corinne.

"We have some friends from out of town here tonight," Jacob said, causing both girls to shift their focus to him. "They've come all the way from Los Angeles, California."

"If he tries to get me on stage, I'll punch him," Corinne muttered.

Jacob waved at the two girls. "Hi, Riley. Hi, Cori."

"Hi," they replied simultaneously.

"How are y'all?"

"Fabulous!" Riley called. Corinne nodded in agreement.

"We're going to do a song for these two lovely ladies," Jacob said. "It'll take us back to our high school days."

"Oh, Lord," Corinne mumbled, and Riley giggled.

Jacob dragged the mic stand over, planting himself in front of the two girls. "Am I your fire? Your one desire?" he began.

Riley couldn't help it; she burst out laughing. Corinne shook her head.

"Believe when I say/I want it that way/But we are two worlds apart/Can't reach to your heart/When you say/That I want it that way.

"Tell me why/Ain't nothing but a heartache/Tell me why/Ain't nothing but a mistake/Tell me why/I never want to hear you say/I want it that way.

"Am I your fire/Your one desire/Yes I know it's too late/But I want it that way.

"Tell me why/Ain't nothing but a heartache/Tell me why/Ain't nothing but a mistake/Tell me why/I never want to hear you say/I want it that way.

"Now I can see that we're falling apart/from the way that it used to be/Yeah/No matter the distance, I want you to know/That deep down inside of me..."

"You are my fire/The one desire/You are, you are, you are, you are/Don't wanna hear you say/Ain't nothing but a heartache/Ain't nothing but a mistake/I never wanna hear you say/I want it that way."


The crowd erupted into noisy, drunken cheers. Jacob and David both grinned at Riley and Corinne. The girls were smiling, amused.

Riley felt a pang of depression at the thought of leaving tomorrow. She vowed to keep in touch with David, Jacob, and Cody. Phone calls, text messages, Facebook...and, hopefully, it wouldn't be ten more years before she saw them again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Gotta give more credit on this chapter. Obviously, they again listened to "Another Day (On Top of the World)" again. The second song she listened to is called "Far Away," also by Mars Electric. One of the sexiest songs EVER! The two Lynam covers during the show are "Lick It Up" by KISS and "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys, both of which I've seen Lynam actually do.

I love writing about these guys--they're easy to portray since I know them. In fact, all of the things she learns about Jacob are true. He told me. <3 But have no fear. Andy and the rest of BVB return in the next chapter. :-)

To those who want to read some true stories about Lynam, check this out: I Thought This Only Happened in the Movies

Special thanks to:

Vixyn Of Shadows
WompWompNotMyPeen
SabbyFreakShow
vampiress_666

More comments = faster updates! As soon as I hit five (from five different readers), I'll post the next chapter. It's already written.