Status: Finished!

Better Than Me

A Case of Mistaken Identity

Another week passed. Riley checked and double-checked her schedule, trying to figure out when she would be able to visit Andy again. She didn't want to put it off too long. He hadn't contacted her, and she hadn't contacted him. For all she knew, he believed that her silence was her way of breaking up with him. He was probably getting more and more pissed off by the day. She needed to see him soon, or she was going to have no choice but to apologize to him over the phone.

Meanwhile, Sammi and Piper were constantly in touch with Riley. They were busy planning Corinne's twenty-eighth birthday party and wanted Riley's help. She assisted as much as she could, but she had so many other things on her mind. Besides, it wasn't like they had to be ninjas about the party. It wasn't a surprise party. Corinne wanted a masquerade party and she was getting one. Riley, Sammi, and Piper were working to make the party as similar to the scene in The Labyrinth as possible. They had rented a large building just beyond the city limits that was often used for social events and gatherings. With the right decorations and all of the guests in costume, the girls were positive they could achieve their goal.

Riley met up with Sammi and Piper two days before the party to look at costumes. They both had their ensembles put together already. Riley, who had been extra busy at work recently, attempting to create another break in which to see Andy, had not managed to get her costume. During the search for their own outfits, Sammi and Piper had taken note of items that were fitting for Riley. She was taken to several different places and finally picked something out.

The three of them stopped at Starbucks on the way home. Riley hoped they weren't going to start gossiping about the guys. She wouldn't know what to say. No one knew that she and Andy had yet to make up. She hadn't even told Corinne. She had said nothing to the girls about her relationship, and she figured that they assumed everything was fine by now. It was easier to let them assume that. If she admitted that there hadn't been a reconciliation, she would have to explain why and that would require her to spill the whole story: the talk about marriage with Jacob, the doubts that had reared their ugly heads, the arguments with Andy about Jacob...just, all of it.

She hadn't told Jacob anything, either. There had been a few messages via Facebook, but none that even came close to Riley's personal life. She was going to let Jacob assume the same thing her girls did--that she'd talked to Andy and everything was right as rain.

"You had better not want anything fancy for your birthday party, missy," Sammi remarked to Riley as they were brought their coffees.

"Amen," Piper agreed.

"Y'all know Cori would have been satisfied with nothing more than a night out with her best friends," Riley pointed out. "There was no need to go to all of this trouble."

"Yeah," Sammi said. "But things have been a little off lately. This party is for all of us."

Riley frowned. "What do you mean, 'a little off'?"

Sammi and Piper both looked at her. She had obviously missed something, too wrapped up in her own problems to notice what was going on around her.

"Well..." Piper shifted uncomfortably. "Since the guys left, we haven't been spending nearly as much time together."

"And," Sammi added. "Have you seen Skylar or Violet recently?"

Now that Sammi mentioned it, Riley realized that she hadn't. The last time she had spoken to either of them had been shortly after she and Corinne had gone to the class reunion.

"We invited them to the party," Piper said. Her guilt was apparent. "And apologized."

"Things happen," Riley said. "We all have separate lives. We're not teenagers, who have the time to be with each other every minute of the day. We have jobs and relationships and responsibilities. Surely they understand."

"They do," Sammi replied. "But this isn't a simple case of not calling someone for a couple of weeks. We've all been self-absorbed for a while now."

"Especially you," hung unspoken in the air. Riley knew those two words had flashed through both of her friends' minds. She took a sip of her mocha latte to avoid having to contribute another justification or defense.

Sammi sighed. "I just wish I knew what was going on. It seems like we never confide in each other anymore. We never used to be too busy to talk to each other, for whatever reason."

Riley wondered if Sammi and Piper suspected that there were unresolved issues between herself and Andy, and if they were about to encourage her to discuss them. But then, Piper glanced at her watch and commented that they should go.

An awkward silence lingered over them, and Riley was relieved when they turned into her driveway. She mumbled "goodbye" and walked briskly to the front door, unlocking it and slipping inside.

Fuck, she thought, carrying the bag that held her costume up to the master bedroom. I have to salvage more than just my relationship with Andy or my entire life is going to fall apart.

The party Friday night would be a convenient way to take the first step towards saving the friendships with Sammi, Piper, Skylar, and Violet. There was nothing to fix with Corinne; their friendship had always had its ups and downs. Besides, they were still talking every few days. It was only Sammi, Piper, Skylar, and Violet that Riley had neglected.

And Saturday morning, I'm calling Andy, Riley resolved, hanging her costume in her closet. Yeah, it's going to feel cowardly, but I can't just sit here and do nothing while the distance between us increases.

She would have called Andy at that very moment; however, she wanted a bit more time to work out exactly what she should say to him.

She went downstairs and ate a small dinner. Afterward, she got out her laptop. There were some things she had to get done tonight and tomorrow if she wanted to leave the office early on Friday to prepare for Corinne's birthday party.

**********

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Riley exclaimed, throwing her arms around Corinne.

"Thank you!"

"You look beautiful, Cori."

"So do you."

"Wow." Riley paused to admire the room. She had done some of the decorating but had left to change prior to it being finished. "This is fucking amazing!"

Corinne smiled. "Isn't it? Check it out." She pointed to the far wall. "There's the mirror that Sarah breaks to end the dream. And the clock."

There were candles everywhere. Iridescent streamers and strands of pearls swayed from the ceiling or were draped artistically over the candelabras. Bubbles floated in the air, and everyone was masked.

"All that's missing is David Bowie," Riley said, smirking.

Corinne giggled. "That'd be one hell of a happy birthday."

"Riley!" a female voice shouted. In the next instant, Skylar and Violet were hugging her and planting kisses on her cheek.

"How are y'all?" Riley inquired.

"Wonderful," Skylar said. Violet nodded in agreement.

"I'm so glad to hear that. I'm sorry--"

"Don't," Violet cut in. "Sammi and Piper have already apologized."

"Which is odd, considering we were never mad," Skylar said.

"Do you want a drink?" Violet queried of Riley, effectively changing the subject. She linked her arm through Riley's and steered her to the refreshment table/bar. Skylar and Corinne followed.

"A Long Island ice tea," Riley said to the expectant bartender.

"Coming right up." He moved off to mix the drink.

Riley was about to ask where Sammi and Piper were when a man stepped out of the crowd, right behind Corinne.

"Boo!" he said, snaking his arms around Corinne's slender waist.

Startled, she twisted in the masked man's loose grip. He grinned down at her. "Surprise."

If his voice hadn't given him away, the grin would have. Riley would have recognized that grin anywhere.

"CC!" A smile bloomed on Corinne's face and she stretched up for a kiss.

"Happy birthday."

Riley glanced up as Sammi approached, dragging a second masked individual along by the hand. Judging by the fact that she was literally glowing with delight, it was Jeremy being led like a small child. Jeremy and Christian shared a look, both smiling at their girls' reactions.

Unnoticed by either of them, Corinne and Sammi, too, shared a look, this one full of meaning and holding more than a hint of worry. Riley caught the wordless exchange and wondered what was going on. She figured it was a secret the two were keeping, something they didn't want Jeremy and Christian to discover.

That's...weird, she thought. But she didn't have time to dwell on it. If Jeremy and Christian were here, then so was Andy. Her determination for everything to return to normal was fresh on Riley's mind. She needed to find Andy and fix the problem.

She left Skylar, Violet, Corinne, Christian, Sammi, and Jeremy to it. Wandering among the masked party-goers, she sought the familiar tall, slender build, topped with messy jet-black hair.

The party was taking place in two rooms that were typically divided by unobtrusive sliding wooden doors. The doors had been thrown open tonight, giving Corinne and her guests plenty of extra space.

Riley passed into the second room, the center of which was serving as the dance floor, and spotted Andy in the corner. Even in a mask that concealed his entire face, except his eyes and mouth, Riley couldn't mistake him for anyone else.

He was talking to a person that Riley had seen somewhere before, though she couldn't recall where. She walked over to the pair. The guy she knew but couldn't place broke off in mid-sentence. Andy followed his gaze to see what had caused his sudden silence.

Riley flashed the guy a mildly apologetic smile. "Excuse me." She met Andy's ice blue eyes while reaching for his hand. He seemed faintly confused, yet he allowed her to guide him to the privacy of a back hallway.

Riley didn't hesitate once they were in the dimly-lit and totally abandoned hallway. She cupped his face in her hands, bringing him to her for a searing kiss. She tried to put all of the things she wanted to say into that one physical gesture. She felt his reluctance and was certain that he was recalling the fight--and the six days of silence--just as vividly as she.

Deepening the kiss, she pressed the front of her body against his. There was another second of nothing, then his arms encircled her and his tongue caressed her lips, wanting an invitation.

Riley yielded and sent her tongue to meet his. There was something different tonight; his kisses weren't quite the same. Was it lingering anger? Would this mean anything, or would he remain furious in the aftermath? Riley knew the easiest way to dispel Andy's temper and get him to listen. The sexual act itself wouldn't replace an actual apology; it would definitely leave Andy more willing to forgive, though. If Riley could just persuade him that she had solved her own issues and that everything would be as it once was.

Riley drew back and heard a protesting breath leave him. Smirking, she trailed kisses along his neck. One hand was on his shoulder for balance; the other tauntingly brushed the front of his pants. He was easier to feel through the thinner material of what were similar to leggings. A sound escaped from deep in his throat.

Riley gave him a gentle squeeze, the effect instantaneous. He swallowed hard enough that she heard it as his cock swelled slightly in her hand. She shifted her attention from his neck to his belt. It wasn't holding his pants up, but it would be in the way for what she had planned. She unbuckled it and let it fall to the floor.

"Wait." Voice strained, he stopped her before she could lower the black, literally skintight, pants. His hands gripped her wrists almost painfully.

Riley took a step back, looking up into eyes that were dark with a combination of desire and guilt. That voice...

Releasing one of her wrists, he raised his hand to his mask and removed it. Riley gasped. "What are you doing here?"

Jacob grimaced. "Cori invited me."

Riley mouthed wordlessly for a moment. She suddenly jerked her arm free and stalked away. She was stunned. Confused. More than a little aroused?

She descended the staircase. Corinne was right where she'd left her, near the refreshment table/bar with Christian, Skylar, Violet, Jeremy, Sammi, Piper, and Jake.

She wondered if Corinne had actually invited Jacob.

Of course she did, she answered herself. How the hell else would he have known about the party? Riley hadn't mentioned it in any of her messages.

"Cori," she said, amazed she could even speak.

Corinne couldn't hide the knowing, slightly guilty, expression fast enough. Sammi seemed moderately ashamed as well.

"What...Why..." Riley clenched her fists in frustration. She took a deep breath and was about to try again when she was interrupted.

"Riley."

She spun around. This time, the masked man in front of her was Andy. He swept off the mask and gave her a small smile. "Hey, baby."

Over Andy's shoulder, Riley saw Jacob pushing through the crowd. He stopped short at the sight of Andy and, giving Riley a frown, retreated. Riley threw a glare at Corinne. She moved forward into Andy's arms, as was expected.

"I can't believe you're here," she murmured. This, at least, wasn't a lie.

"Christian couldn't miss his lady's birthday," Andy said. "And the rest of us couldn't miss a chance to spend a night with our ladies." He leaned back and Riley quickly forced a smile. "I know we need to talk," he added. "But can we do it later? Tonight is all about Cori, right?"

"Right," Riley agreed.

In more ways than you'll ever know, she thought, shooting Corinne another angry look.

Corinne had the grace to look embarrassed. "I think it's time for some dancing!" she said brightly in order to distract the guys. "Let's get in there and shake our asses!"

Christian, Corinne, Jeremy, Sammi, Piper, Jake, Violet, and Skylar headed for the other room. Smiling, Andy linked his fingers with Riley's and tugged her after them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Remember that I told y'all a few chapters back to pretend that Andy never cut his hair. This is why. With them having similar hair, similar heights (6'2" and 6'5"), and blue eyes, this is a mistake that could be made if they were both masked.

Some of you are going to love this chapter, some of you are going to hate it. And the next chapter is going to cause a similar divide, I promise. LoL.

Oh oh oh, so check out this pic from last night of me and Jacob: Aren't we adorable?

Special thanks to:

sup.jessay
TyMaeTrains
SabbyHasAHeart
Sparkles
WompWompNotMyPeen
Vixyn Of Shadows

The next chapter is already finished. I'll update tomorrow night if I can get ten comments by then...ten comments from DIFFERENT readers. lol. <3