Status: Finished!

Better Than Me

You've Got a Friend

Riley had called in at work, then collapsed on the bed in the guest room. She'd slept for five hours and awoken to find Christian gone and Corinne waiting in the kitchen. Corinne had a pot of coffee ready and was making Riley's favorite breakfast foods for lunch: waffles and bacon.

Riley hadn't spoken to Corinne when she'd arrived at seven-thirty this morning. The only people who knew what had happened between her and Andy were the two of them and Jacob. After talking to Jacob on the way to Corinne and Christian's house, Riley hadn't felt up to recounting the story again. Now, however, she knew that Corinne was going to ask her about Andy. Everyone had known what was at stake; they would all have to be informed of the result eventually.

"Christian is with Andy," Corinne said as Riley poured herself some coffee.

Riley nodded.

Corinne gave her a sympathetic look. "I'll listen whenever you're ready."

Riley sighed. "There's not a lot to tell. Things weren't as perfect between us as we thought. And...I couldn't forgive him for not trusting me. I doubted our future together, that we would have one. He doubted me. I don't know how I'm supposed to get past that. Every time I talked to another guy, I would wonder if he was getting suspicious again. It would drive me nuts."

"Some people could get past it, some people couldn't. Only you know what you're capable of forgiving and forgetting."

"Thanks, Cori. I'm not sure the rest of our friends are going to be as understanding."

"I think you underestimate our friends," Corinne said. "But if they don't get it, fuck 'em."

Riley laughed a little.

"So." Corinne glanced at Riley, eyebrows raised. "Does Jacob know?"

"Yeah," Riley confirmed. "I called him this morning while I was on the way here."

The trace of a smile quirked the corners of Corinne's mouth as she flipped a pancake.

"It would look really bad if I took another trip to Alabama soon, wouldn't it?" Riley murmured.

"It wouldn't look good. Why don't you just wait for him to be in L.A. again?"

"He's not coming back for two weeks. They're playing a lot of out-of-state shows this week and they're going to be in Ohio for, like, three days next week."

Corinne shrugged, scooping a finished pancake out of the pan and onto an empty plate. "So go to Ohio."

Riley frowned. "I don't know..."

"It's neutral ground. You're not in Alabama and he's not in California and actually, it's nobody's business what you're doing in your spare time. Besides--" Corinne added three strips of bacon to the plate and set it in front of Riley. "--it's not like you're going out there to hook up with him." She paused in her reach for the syrup. "Are you?"

"No! God, Cori! How could you even ask that?"

"Don't get your panties in a twist. Personally, I wouldn't care if you were trying to hook up with Jacob. He's a really sweet guy and he could be just what you need at the moment." She handed Riley the syrup.

"I don't see Jacob as a potential...anything," Riley said, drizzling syrup over her pancake. "He's my friend."

Corinne snorted, going back to the stove. "Okay."

"You don't believe me?"

"It's not that I don't believe you, I just think maybe you should, um, broaden your view a bit."

"And what does that mean?"

"Well, Jacob is sweet and smart and funny and talented and--"

"Could you be more stereotypical?"

"And." Corinne shot Riley a glare. "You are a fucking liar if you say that you weren't absolutely mesmerized by his performances."

"He's sexy on the stage. Big deal."

"He's sexy, period."

Riley rolled her eyes. "If you like him so much, you date him."

"Damn it, Riley!" Corinne faced her again. "I get it. You think it would be cruel to show interest in Jacob while the wounds inflicted upon both you and Andy are still so fresh. But your life doesn't stop because the relationship ended." Her expression softened. "I want you to be happy. It's neither a good thing or a bad thing that Andy is no longer the one who makes you happy; it just is. I don't want you to miss a chance at something great because of guilt or some twisted sense of obligation to Andy's feelings."

"We were together for nineteen months, Cori. I do owe his feelings some consideration."

"He broke your heart, too," Corinne said. "He's not the only victim here. You can't keep cutting yourself open and bleeding for him." She licked her lips, suddenly mildy nervous. "Riley."

"What?"

"When the guys go back on the road Wednesday, what do you think Andy is going to do?"

"I...don't know."

"Yes, you do. He's going to drink himself stupid for a few days, then he's going to seek out another source of comfort and bury himself as deep in her as he can get."

Riley inhaled sharply, her fork clattering against her plate as it slipped from her fingers. The thought of Andy with someone else made her feel nauseous.

"I'm sorry, Riley," Corinne said, her eyes sparkling with tears. "You ended it. He's not going to believe that he owes you a damn thing. He's a free agent. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be willing to work it out, but you would have to make the first move and until you do, y'all are done."

"And I'm supposed to go sleep with someone else just because he might?" Riley retorted.

"No. But you're not supposed to miss a good thing when it's right fucking there, either."

"I can't imagine being with someone that isn't Andy."

"I know." Corinne went again to the stove, spooning batter into the sizzling pan. "Just promise me that you'll think about going to Ohio?"

"Alright," Riley agreed. "I'll think about it."

**********

After work on Wednesday, Riley returned to the house she'd shared with Andy for the last eight months. She awoke in the middle of the night to discover her pillow drenched in tears. She packed a bag and drove straight to Corinne's.

She was lingering at the office later and later every day. She'd thrown herself into her work to distract her from her misery. Colin was concerned. He let it go on for that first week, but when she showed no sign of relenting at the beginning of the next week, he insisted she take a few vacation days. He had a shrewd idea what had happened to cause Riley's behavior; however, he would never pry into an employee's personal life, so he didn't ask and find out that he was right.

Riley couldn't bear the thought of free time. She couldn't expect Corinne, Sammi, or Piper to neglect their jobs and hold her hand. Her only remaining options were going home for some TLC from her parents, or flying to Ohio and hanging out with Lynam.

She had barely spoken to Jacob since the morning of the breakup. He was busy and she still felt a twinge of guilt at wanting to be around him when his presence was partially to blame for the end of her relationship. Even while admitting that the guilt was there, Riley also had to admit an undeniable fact: she missed Jacob. She missed all of them. Lynam had adopted her and Corinne into the family without question. Riley felt at home with them, at peace, and that was what she needed now more than ever.

Riley called Corinne on Wednesday and told her she was visiting Ohio. Corinne was thrilled.

The city listed on Lynam's schedule was Put-in-Bay. Upon arrival, Riley learned that Put-in-Bay was on an island that housed several very nice communities. She fished her cell out of her bag as she boarded the ferry that would take her to the island.

"Where's a girl to stay in Put-in-Bay?" she sent to Jacob.

Almost a full minute passed, then her cell buzzed with his response. "Depends. Is she hot?"

"Your depth is astonishing."

"I know. I even shock myself sometimes."

"Maybe I should take the ferry back. I can probably catch a flight out before too late..."

"Lol. I'll meet you at the dock and show you all of the finest places."

"Deal. See you soon."


Riley realized that her heart had sped up with the knowledge that she was about to see Jacob. Nervous anticipation made her fingertips tingle.

The ferry docked a few minutes later. Riley was shunted along by the other passengers. She scanned the people milling around the area and wasn't surprised that Jacob wasn't here yet. She'd given him a barely ten minute notice.

She was gazing out over the bay when she heard the familiar voice: "NO SHIT! YOU'RE HERE! I THOUGHT BLUEGRASS WAS PULLING MY LEG!"

Riley turned and was immediately pounced on by David. She giggled. Behind him, Cody and Jacob were approaching at a leisurely pace. Jacob smiled and waved. Riley broke free of David's hug and sprinted to Jacob, who folded her in his arms and kissed her on the cheek. "Hey, darlin'."

Right as he released her, Cody seized her in a headlock. "Hi!"

"Hello."

He planted a kiss on her forehead before letting go. Riley looked at the three of them, her lips spreading into an involuntary grin.

"Let's go," Jacob said.

"In answer to the question you asked Bluegrass, you're staying with us," David commented as they navigated their way through the crowd.

"You can share my room," Cody piped up. "And my bed."

David shoved him. "You need some sensitivity training."

"Me?" Cody echoed. "You're the one who always--"

"Would y'all act your ages and not your penis lengths?" Riley interrupted.

Jacob chuckled.

David glanced at Riley, arching an eyebrow. "As soon as we get to the hotel, I'm going to make you take that back."

"I think I need to sleep in Jacob's room," Riley grumbled. "I trust him not to scar me or rape me."

"Ah, Jacob," Cody said. "The trustworthy, loyal, kind...friend."

"You could learn a thing or ten from him," Riley spat.

Cody raised his hands in a gesture of defense. "Calm down, sweetheart. It's not necessarily a bad thing."

Rolling her eyes, Riley shook her head. "You're such a dick, Cody."

"What'd I do?"

Riley hurried to catch up with Jacob, hoping David and Cody would continue lollygagging. Jacob smiled down at her as her arm brushed his.

"This place is beautiful," Riley stated. "Is the entire island like this?"

"It's got a fair share of scenery," he replied.

"Including three pretty band boys."

"And the lovely Riley Winters."

Riley shivered. God, she loved his voice.

Jacob regarded her seriously. "Are you okay?"

There was no doubt that his mind was on her recent breakup. She lifted a shoulder in a half-shrug. "I'm getting there."

"Is this trip part of 'getting there'?"

"This trip is me being selfish."

Jacob frowned. "Why is it selfish?"

"The same reason coming to you after the fight in Seattle was selfish. I'm always expecting you to put your feelings on hold while I sort through drama in--"

"Riley," he cut in. "I'm your friend first. Everything else falls below that in importance. I'm always here if you need me. I thought I'd made that clear."

"You have. I just...I don't want to hurt anyone else."

Jacob slipped his arm around her shoulders, hugging her to him while they walked. "You won't. And, you know, your heart deserves a break, too."

Tears stung Riley's eyes and she leaned against him. She was glad she'd decided to come here. The next two days were going to help her immensely. She could feel it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So for those of you who are displeased with Riley for leaving Andy, there will be at least one more talk between them. The thing is, if a couple lays out every single problem they have, they're going to see things they can't fix (if there are any). Riley didn't feel that they could fix that trust once it was gone--or the fact that Andy doesn't want to get married--so she left. In my defense, I'm watching a 34 year marriage go through something similar right now, where everything was laid out and it resulted in the husband telling the wife he doesn't love her anymore. I'm not writing this story without a basis in reality.

Also, I need all of you to keep your fingers crossed this week. Jacob promised to do something for me, if it is in his power, and I'm really hoping he can. Maybe y'all should cross your fingers AND toes. lol.

Special thanks to:

sup.jessay
originalityisdead
Kaulitz_Liebe
JustAnother_Andley
SabbyHasAHeart
Vixyn Of Shadows
vampiress_666

I've already started the next update, so it shouldn't be four days between updates. However, that's going to depend on what's going on around here. I might not have a choice but to wait longer. Sorry.