Status: Finished!

Better Than Me

Catching Up

The pool wasn't exactly within sight of the main building, in which the banquet room was housed. Also, since the country club crew hadn't expected anyone to use the pool this evening, none of the lights around it were on. The only thing penetrating the darkness was the silver glow of the moon.

Cody, David, Corinne, and Riley stripped and slipped into the cool water. Jacob perched on one of the lounge chairs at the pool's edge, having refused the invitation to skinny dip.

"Is it crazy to y'all that we've been out of high school for ten years?" David said.

"Y'all are old," Cody teased.

"He's only twenty-five," Jacob explained as Corinne and Riley exchanged a confused glance.

"Not much younger than us," Corinne said, slapping the surface of the water to send an arc glittering towards Cody's face.

"And not as young as Riley's boyfriend," David said slyly. "She's robbing the cradle."

"Fuck you, Lynam," Riley retorted. "There's barely four years between us."

"What about you, David?" Corinne asked. "Are you dating anyone?"

"Nope. There's nothing better than being single and in a band."

"Amen!" Cody agreed.

Riley looked at Jacob. "Is that your philosophy on life, too?"

"Bluegrass is just too busy with music to worry about a woman," David cut in. "Seriously, this man lives and breathes music twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week."

"That's how Andy used to be," Riley said. "Before they were signed. At least, that's what the guys tell me."

"His friends tell you that to make him look good," Cody said. "They're helping him hide how much of a slut he used to be."

"Cody's speaking from experience," David cracked.

"Cody's a slut?" Corinne feigned amazement. "Wow. Whoever would have guessed?"

"Right," Cody returned sarcastically. "You knew after only ten minutes of talking to me."

"I knew because you were the most eager to get naked with two girls at your friends' class reunion," Corinne said.

Jacob and David chuckled.

"So...if Andy's friends are lying for him, how do I know y'all aren't lying for Jacob?" Riley said to get them back on subject.

David snorted softly with amusement. "Riley, seriously, can you imagine Jacob as a slut? He was so painfully shy in high school that it hurt me."

"He says he comes out of his shell onstage," Riley pointed out. "Maybe when he's playing up his rock star persona, he's just a different person all around. It happens. I've witnessed it."

"I love the way y'all talk about me like I'm not here," Jacob piped up, earning a blush from Riley.

"Sorry," she mumbled. "You're just so quiet and unobtrusive."

"Exactly!" David said. "So I'll ask you again: can you imagine Jacob as a slut? He's not exactly an outgoing personality."

"I'm not a slut because we play in bars," Jacob said. "I know the kinds of girls that come to bars and attempt to seduce band guys. I've been doing this for quite some time now. They're not the kinds of girls I want to spend my time, or a night, with."

"All girls who go to bars are not nasty or slutty," Corinne began indignantly.

"And you'll never hear me say that," Jacob replied calmly. "But any girl who comes in, gets drunk, and wants to fuck me without knowing anything about me? How many other guys has she done the same thing with?"

"That's why you wear a condom," Cody said. "Jacob, man, you're such a chick."

"The fact that he respects himself makes him a chick?" Riley demanded.

"What's wrong with having meaningless sex occasionally?" Cody challenged. "As long as you're safe about it."

"Nothing," Corinne answered. "But it's not for everyone. There's nothing wrong with Jacob not wanting to have casual sex with every moderately attractive girl he meets at shows."

"Whoa!" David held up his hands in a gesture of placation. "This has gotten entirely too serious. Calm down!"

Corinne arched an eyebrow and addressed Riley. "Does Cody remind you of someone?"

Riley grinned. "You know, as a matter of fact, he does."

"Creepy," Corinne said.

"Who does Cody remind you of?" David wanted to know.

"Ashley," Riley said. "Attractive, single, lover of the ladies."

"Sounds about right," Cody said, smirking.

Corinne rolled her eyes. "I might need a drink."

"We should blow this joint and go to a bar," David suggested. "Even though my band mates don't drink." He frowned. "Y'all do drink, right?"

Corinne burst out laughing. "We're dating members of Black Veil Brides. Of course we drink!"

"Consumption of alcohol is the only thing that keeps us sane," Riley added, also laughing.

"Then, let us be bar-bound," David said, wading to the steps that ascended out of the water.

"Y'all will come with us, right?" Riley queried of Jacob, her eyes fixed on him as David emerged from the pool.

A faint smile quirked the corners of his mouth. "Sure."

David, Cody, Riley, and Corinne quickly dressed. They and Jacob rounded the side of the main building rather than going through the banquet room, not having anyone they really wished to bid farewell to.

David, Cody, and Jacob piled into a pale blue 4-Runner. Riley and Corinne hurried to Mr. Howard's Sonata.

"What the fuck happened to Jacob?" Corinne said wonderingly, shoving the key into the ignition.

"He blossomed?" Riley said.

"It's kinda like the story of the ugly duckling. Only...he wasn't ugly in high school, he just lacked confidence."

"And personality."

"It's crazy."

Riley nodded. "It is."

"David hasn't changed."

"I noticed."

Corinne shot Riley a sidelong glance. "How's your bank account? You know, in case we need bail money."

Riley giggled. "We're covered. Shut up and drive, woman!"

**********

Corinne, Cody, and David were talking and laughing loudly at a table in the corner. Riley and Jacob, who could barely hear themselves think over the noise of the others, had moved to a different table.

Jacob was fascinating. Riley wasn't sure exactly what it was about him, but he was different and intriguing. Maybe it was nothing more than the way he told stories. Or maybe it was that he had plenty to tell. So much had happened in his twenty-seven years of life.

Riley sensed that Jacob wasn't typically this open. She, too, was a very private person. She always had been, and dating Andy had only increased her reserve, for she was constantly trying to keep people (the media, fans, etc.) from prying into their personal lives.

Jacob had been in a band prior to Lynam. They were called Mars Electric.

"Everything was going so well for us, career-wise," Jacob said, rattling the ice in his almost-empty glass of water. "We were headlining a tour and playing to crowds of as many as twenty-five thousand people."

"What happened?"

"We weren't getting along. There were things that we just couldn't work around, so we chose to call it quits."

"How'd you get involved with Lynam?"

"I ran into David at a bar in Mountain Brook."

"Oooh, the rich part of town."

Jacob smirked. "Yeah. He was there working the door for one of his friends' bands and I was there to check them out. We were catching up and he mentioned his band had a gig soon and needed a guitarist."

"And there you were, ready-made for them."

"Yup. I originally played guitar, did backing vocals, and helped with the songwriting."

"And now?"

"I'm the vocalist, guitarist, and main songwriter."

"I would like to hear y'all."

"I'll give you a copy of our latest CD," Jacob offered. "No, wait, you have to see us live first."

"I'm going to be in Alabama for less than a week, Jacob," Riley said. "How am I supposed to see y'all live?"

"Easy. We're playing a show tomorrow night at Café Firenze."

"Cori and I are driving to Cullman tomorrow. We're spending a couple of days with my parents before flying out to visit the guys."

"Café Firenze is in town. It's on 280."

Riley frowned. "Jacob, I only manage a trip to Alabama about twice a year. I can't miss this time with my mom and dad."

"Then bring your parents along."

"I don't know..."

"Please, Riley." Jacob's eyes met Riley's and that sapphire gaze seemed to pierce something deep within her. "You didn't even remember me tonight. Give me the chance to make some kind of impression on you."

Riley bit her lip. Why shouldn't she? Her parents wouldn't mind if she and Corinne went to a show, especially one where the band consisted of two of their former classmates. Hell, Mrs. Winters would be thrilled to discover that Riley and Corinne were "bonding" with someone from their class, even if it was ten years too late.

"I guess we'll come," she said. "If Cori wants to."

"Do you ever go anywhere alone?" Jacob questioned, his tone holding a hint of amusement.

"I'm a female. Of course I don't."

"I thought girls grew out of the pack mentality."

"Prostitutes, maybe. They don't want the competition."

Jacob laughed. "But other girls don't?"

"Life's no fun if you don't have someone to enjoy it with, so I take my bestie everywhere."

"What about your boyfriend?"

"I take him to bed and the shower."

"Without Cori, right?" Jacob said, mockingly serious.

"Keep being a smartass and I won't come watch you play," Riley threatened.

"Sorry."

"What are we talking about?" David inquired, appearing suddenly and claiming the empty chair at the table.

"Cori and Riley are coming to the show tomorrow night," Jacob stated matter-of-factly.

"Fuck yeah!" David cheered.

"Only if it's okay with Cori," Riley added, scowling at Jacob.

"If what is okay with me?" came Corinne's curious voice. She and Cody were standing slightly behind David's chair.

"Y'all are coming to see us at Café Firenze tomorrow night," David said.

"That sounds fun," Corinne commented.

"It's okay with Cori," Jacob said, his eyes again meeting Riley's and a triumphant smirk curving his lips.

The faintest shiver raced down Riley's spine. "Then we'll be there."
♠ ♠ ♠
I had an absolutely wonderful weekend! Thank you to those who wished me a happy birthday. I got to hear some stories from Jacob while I was hanging out in the dressing room with them. And I got to have the most awkward convo ever with the entire band. So yeah, happy birthday to me! LOL!

Special thanks to:

Vixyn Of Shadows
a.rebel.in.love.97
Forevergoth
TyMaeTrains
vampiress_666
WompWompNotMyPeen

Remember, more comments = faster updates!