Health Care

Chapter Eighteen

Christopher spends the rest of the afternoon in his bedroom, in a sulk. Melissa still mills around the garden aimlessly, unsure of who to talk to. Eventually, Loretta accompanies her, but the tension is icy. Melissa physically has nothing to say.

Sam and I remain seated in the silver garden furniture for the rest of the afternoon. My parents fight the maddening crowd around the food to load our plates up for us. Mum has taken utmost pity on Sam. It’s cringe-worthy to watch, but it’s making Sam smile.

One the plates have been cleared away, Timothy does his usual swan around the garden. He catches my eye and I give him a small smile.

“Alexa,” he mutters. “Can I have a word?” he sounds stern but not angry. He smiles apologetically at Sam, who smiles back. I step up from my seat and give Sam a quick peck on the cheek. He places almost a whole sandwich in his mouth and grins.

“Is he alright?” Timothy whispers to me, nodding at Sam as we walk away.

“He’s fine,” I say, smiling. “As long as he’s got a plateful of food.”

“I just really wanted to apologise sincerely for Christopher’s behaviour,” Timothy says darkly. “He’s really changed these days. His mood swings are incessant and his temper, don’t get me started on it. I’m hoping Melissa will bring some good out in him, like you did.” We glance over at Melissa, standing uncomfortably by the marquee and gripping her plate of food. She’s nibbling at a sandwich shyly. Timothy lets out a sigh full of lost hope. A pang of guilt catches in my stomach. Timothy senses it.

“Don’t get me wrong,” he assures me, gripping my arms. “I don’t mean to make you uncomfortable. I’ve seen what you’re like with your Sam friend and my God, the both of you are practically glowing. It’s inspirational to see. I just wish Christopher would find that with someone. I mean, perhaps I should give Melissa a chance,” he trails off, sounding reluctant. “He’s just becoming the nightmare teenager his mother and I have always dreaded.”

“I’ll try and patch things up with him,” I say to Timothy. It’s not fair that Christopher is taking his grief out on them, especially Timothy. I know Loretta is a task, but after all, she is his mother.

“Would you, would you do that?” Timothy’s eyes light up. I feel the pressure weigh onto my shoulders. I couldn’t possibly let such a nice man down.

“I will, I will try,” I emphasise. After all, Christopher can be a lost cause. Hence the reason I broke up with him.

“Oh, I’m so grateful for your patience. You really are being the bigger person here, and I wish Christopher would see that. Promise me it won’t get in the way of your new relationship? You and Sam evidently make each other so happy. Don’t let a favour for me ruin that.”

I appreciate his decency. If only it could rub off on his son.

“I will try, I promise, if it means making your life easier. You’ve done so much for Christopher, and you’ve done so well with your company. If it’s something I can fix then I want to fix it.”

Timothy gives me one of his warming smiles and without warning, pulls me in tight for a hug. I contemplate making my way up to Christopher’s bedroom. I avoid gazing at his window. I have a funny feeling he is probably peering out of it already.