My Best Horrible Story

The Funeral

My cousin and best childhood friend was being lowered into the ground in her shiny wooden box. Its just about the worst thing I could bear seeing, but I was wrong, the worst thing was watching everyone dressed in black walk away, back to their cars, back to their lives, abandoning her.

Her mother, my aunt, walked up to me as I look over the hole in the ground.
"Zoe," she said, her voice raspy from all the tears she's been shedding the past three days, "Find out what happened to Janey."

"Auntie." I sigh, she still hadn't come to terms what happened, "They did an autopsy, drug overdose."

"Not my Janey." she cries, "I know she's gone down the wrong path, but it just doesn't seem right. I know my daughter, she did not die like that." I hug my aunt, "Please Zoe, you know the things she'd never tell me."

"If I knew something wasn't right with what they told us about how Janey died, I would've spoken up."

"Please just find out, ask a few questions, its your job right." she sniffs, "Whatever you find out you can use in an article, okay?" she wipes her face, "That way you'll at least get paid for it, if that's enough, I'll buy you a new car, anything, just find out what happened to my baby girl."

"You don't have to do that." I say touching her cheek, "I'll look into it."

"Thank you." she says hugging me closely, "You don't know how much that means to me."
♠ ♠ ♠
I realize this chapter is short, but no worries.